Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i got my 6, i had a 2000 Grand Am an the fuse box was on the side of the dash that could be seen once you opened the drivers door. Me and a buddy had hardwired my radar detector, power to the radio fuse and ground to ground (duh)

Anyway i notice that on our 6's, the fuse box is down by your feet next to the left foot rest pad or whatever you wanna call it. Anyone done this yet, im wondering how to get the wire up from the fuse box to the a pillar so i can tuck it under an run it along the roof liner to the rearview mirror so i can have my detector again.. i miss it lol

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: HardWiring a Radar Detector

I'm wondering the same thing. I need to connect my radar detector but having a wire dravel down along my center console is out of the question. How exactly are you mounting yours?

·
Registered
383 Posts

Since the autodimming mirrors need power, maybe there is power up in the headliner already. Seems like the detectors would work better up high near the roof as well (might give you a split sec. more warning when going over hills that cops like to hide behind).

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

on my old car i had it stuck on the glass centered right below my mirror, an had no wires cept for about 3 inches going up to the headliner. My 6 doesnt have the auto mirror so im gonna have to get in there tomorrow and see how i can run the wires up from the fuse box, thats the only way i will have my detector in the car

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

true, but i dont wanna start rpping into my headliner an mess something up, lol..

·
Registered
383 Posts

Since the autodimming mirror option can be installed by the dealer, my guess is that the wiring harness is already up there.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

True..

BUT since that circuit with the maplights always has power connected to it, you would still have to manualy turn the detector off and on when you needed it. Thats why i had my old one tapped into the radio fuse, so when the cars on, the detectors on, cars off.. so is it :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Then the harness from the autodimming mirror would be the best place to tap in because its power switches off with the car.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ok guys, just got done installing mine, ill post pics in a sec once i get em off the camera, it looks pretty good, no wires anywhere, and ofcourse, turns on and off with the car :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok here we go..

First things first, mounted the detector where i wanted it to go, tucked the wire all the way along the headboard and down the panel that covers the a pillar, then down behind the piece of rubber molding that goes down the inside of the door jam.

Then i pushed all the wiring through the crack there an back inside the plastic panel that the fuse box is in.

Basically i tucked the wires the way the arrow is pointing. That bolt there is what i used to connect the ground. That was a pain in the ass to get to. 12mm socket was used as well as some needle nose plyers.

Once i got that hooked up, i tucked the excess wire down behind that piece of plastic below. Ran the power wire to the #13 fuse in the lower left corner of the box, thats the radio fuse.

Cleaned up and gave it a try, when the ignition turned to ON or ACC the unit came on fine and turned off when the car did :) took about an hour only cause i re ran the wires down around the fuse box a few times to get them totally consealed.

Looks pretty good to me :)

EDIT: I JUST set up the web acct that i used to host the pictures, so when they set everything up the pics should show.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

When I get a radar detector, I'm interested in hardwiring it, but running down the A-pillar will not be an option for those of us with the side airbags. They deploy from the A-, B-, and C-pillars on both sides of the car so it's not wise to tuck wiring behind the pillar covers. Only way to hardwire is to go off the line for the autodim mirror. Good thing I've got it. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts

Axion, any luck with those images yet?

I just got my Valentine in the mail this week and I plan to hardwire it this weekend. Would like to see your work.

Did you remove any covers at all or just tuck?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
142 Posts

I did a similar install but i didnt run it to te mirror, i have it right above my dash in the middle, I used to have it by my mirror in my old car but i never payed attention to it there so i decided a little lower would be better

you can see in this image, next to the white thing (my e-pass for tolls) where i have it, and the wire just runs right behind the dash and down the the fuse panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts