Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new clutch. It had been warm at the time so I didnt notice this but now that its getting colder it seems that until the car warms up it is really difficult to get it into a gear if the car is rolling forward even slightly. Even with a heavy rev match or double clutch it still has some issues. Say I Pull out of my driveway and start coasting down my street at 5-10 mph... Push the clutch all the way in let the rpm settle back to ide, and cant get it into 1st... second is very difficult too. After the car is warm, its ok again and can be done without much problem. What would cause it to do this, and should I take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
487 Posts
how many mile on the car?

It seems more like a change of trans fluid would do the trick.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Don't have a manual, but I would say yes, take it back, or at least call them and let them know what's happening.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

Could it be that the clutch is not disengaging fully? Is the engagement point close to the bottom of the pedal travel? It may just need adjustment.

When the trans is pulled, the oil is usually drained as some of it comes out anyway when the half shafts are removed. It could be that the the trans was not filled with the correct oil, or possibly it wasn't filled with the correct amount of oil. A GL-4 type oil is required for the Mazda 6 MTX trans.

In any case, if you paid someone to do the work they should back it up. You should definitely take it back to them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same issue in my 06 6i. I feel that the problem is more evident now that it's colder. I actually don't think it's a problem with the fluid because I have Redline in it ever since I bought the car in Jan 06.

I don't have a suggestion because I am also trying to find a solution myself. From my observations however, I know that timing has a lot to do with it. With timing, I mean the timing of letting off the accelerator and the engagement of the clutch and the actual shifting. It is hard to explain in words, but it seems easiest when I gas it moderately, then clutch in and let off gas simultaneously but slowly, and initiate the shift right when the clutch hits engagement point. This only happens to me 1st to 2nd btw.

If you find a solution, please post.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, well I actually didn't realize that I made two topics for this, sorry dont know what I was thinking. Anyway, the car has been at the dealers for the last 3 days. They said the shifter cables were damaged and had gotten out of their groves, which seems a bit odd as this only happened when the car is cold and cables don't really explain it, but whatever they are the experts. They said they had to tear down half the interior to get to them so its taking a long while. If it doesnt fix it i will try and do a transmission flush. I am not sure if the clutch being fully engaged is in question as the problem goes away after 10-15 min of driving and usually does not come up during the course of the day again until it sits overnight.

Ill update the thread when done.

aznbenz600 - Mine goes away if I rev match or double clutch, what about you?

·
Registered
780 Posts
^^^Rox, i noticed something like that in my car, which just started happening to me just recently too. Ever since i changed the tranny oil about 2 weeks ago, i've have a hard time shifting it to first gear especially coming out of a turn and you wanna put it in first. It's hard to put it in, but when i do there is major judder.

i havent tried rev matching, but Ill try it tomorrow. I usually throw it into 2nd which is fine.

The only thing I could think of is my tranny oil change. I dont remember it happening before the change. The manual states that the mtx requires 2.4qts of 75w90 tranny oil (i used 75w90 royal purple). I kept on filling the tranny even after 2.4 qts and I wound up putting like 2.6 qts judging by the remainder of the 3rd bottle. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but that is all i can think of..

it may be my cables as well, cause shifting feels smoother when i pull the stick shift all the way left, then up.. well, let us know how the repair goes..

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the car back. Shifting is much tighter and smoother after the car warms up however the early start problem seems like it was still there. I was not sure as when I picked up the car it had been sitting still for less then 5 hours. Ill know in the morning. Obviously, until the transmission oil gets everywhere and warms up most cars will be a little rougher to shift though mine was terrible. Well see though. Overall I was really happy that they repaired everything under warranty seeing as how I had the mazdaspeed short throw in there.

UPDATE: Seemes to have fixed the problem. Now shifts much smoother and though harder in the moring, its much better as now I can actually shift into second when cold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
aznbenz600 - Mine goes away if I rev match or double clutch, what about you?
[/b]
Well, I always try to rev-match and it works. This problem only manifests itself during a cold start, a REAL cold start actually. (It was fine all the time in California, now in WV in 30 degree weather, it gets rough.) Lately though, I have been trying my little timing thing and trying to find a 'sweet spot' per se in the rpm for shifting from 1st to 2nd and it has gotten better.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts