Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 310K KMs on it. I have noticed over the last few days its been getting hard to get into first gear and its just not as smooth going into 2nd and 3rd as it has been in the past. Also when I got home I could not get into reverse. I had to turn the car off, put it in reverse and then start the car again. It worked and now its parked until I can figure out whats going one.

History - This started awhile ago, when driving the car uphill it smells quite a bit sometimes. I dont notice any slipping while driving. I do have to put the pedal pretty much all the way to the floor for the clutch to engage.

Diagnose?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
510 Posts
My guess is that you have a leak. How's the fluid level?

I'd start by looking for leaks, if the reservoir is low this is most likely your issue.
Look at the master and slave cylinders, check the line between them.

If no leaks are found try bleeding the clutch system, if there is any trapped air your clutch won't fully open causing what you are describing.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-engine-drivetrain/221580-how-bleed-mazdaspeed-6-clutch-slave-cyclinder.html

When done, ask someone to press the clutch (and keep pressed) and observe the slave piston open and it should not move, if it returns, that would indicate that the interior seals are bad.

Good luck !

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not a bad idea to change the fluid as well. I know with my car as the weather has gotten colder it has become more difficult to put it in gear when it is bone cold. Gets easier as the car warms up though.

As for the smell, clutch and gear oil smells are very pungent while leaking oil on the exhaust is not so bad. What exactly was the smell if you cn describe it better?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Not that it couldn't be fluid or a pressure leak, but are you sure it isn't time for a new clutch?

If it's original, goodonya for making it last 310K kms (nearly 200,000 miles for us 'muricans). Like tires and brake pads, the clutch is a wear item so it doesn't mean anything is necessarily broken per-se or that you did anything wrong. It might just be worn out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not that it couldn't be fluid or a pressure leak, but are you sure it isn't time for a new clutch?

If it's original, goodonya for making it last 310K kms (nearly 200,000 miles for us 'muricans). Like tires and brake pads, the clutch is a wear item so it doesn't mean anything is necessarily broken per-se or that you did anything wrong. It might just be worn out.
I don't disagree that at that mileage there is definitely some wear but since the OP stated there is no slippage, I don't think his issue is disc-wear related.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad idea to change the fluid as well. I know with my car as the weather has gotten colder it has become more difficult to put it in gear when it is bone cold. Gets easier as the car warms up though.

As for the smell, clutch and gear oil smells are very pungent while leaking oil on the exhaust is not so bad. What exactly was the smell if you cn describe it better?
My father in law thought it smelled like the clutch...

·
Registered
941 Posts
How difficult is it to push the clutch pedal? You sat it doesn't release until you have it nearly on the floor so this also makes me think that you have a clutch issue,good chance the throw out bearing is not moving properly and possibly not fully releasing the clutch as well. You really need a trusted mechanic to take a look, this will be very hard to diagnose over the internet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How difficult is it to push the clutch pedal? You sat it doesn't release until you have it nearly on the floor so this also makes me think that you have a clutch issue,good chance the throw out bearing is not moving properly and possibly not fully releasing the clutch as well. You really need a trusted mechanic to take a look, this will be very hard to diagnose over the internet.

Will do, I am going to take the car in over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
All the symptoms here point to a hydraulic issue (not going into gear, engagement near floor and no signs of slipping) although it could also be the broken pedal bracket issue. I'd get this resolved first and then see if you are seeing any issues with slipping before looking at a clutch replacement.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts