Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello newbie here. Need some help. I have a 2006 2.3L w/ 86K. CEL came on after pumping gas once on a cold day about 2 months ago with the engine running. If I leave the car running while pumping gas, it chugs really bad. Once I put the gas cap on, the idle gets better. If I turn the car off before pumping, it does not want to start.

I had a buddy scan for the CEL and checked the codes, I cannot remember the exact code #'s I think one was P0171 and the other was ???. I think it had to do with the gas cap. We cleared the codes and I replaced the gas cap. CEL came back on. What to do?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very very dangerous! LOLZ When a car is running it can create a static charge (rubber belts moving etc). Just enough as you help ground the car and ZAP=BOOOOM!

One reason for the Cell is that when the engine is running, it is expecting the gas cap to be on and creating a seal. The code is most likely an EVAP related one. Might just need to change the gas cap as it may not be sealing properly anymore. Cheap, probably 10-15 bucks.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Very very dangerous! LOLZ When a car is running it can create a static charge (rubber belts moving etc). Just enough as you help ground the car and ZAP=BOOOOM!

One reason for the Cell is that when the engine is running, it is expecting the gas cap to be on and creating a seal. The code is most likely an EVAP related one. Might just need to change the gas cap as it may not be sealing properly anymore. Cheap, probably 10-15 bucks.

That you should not gas your car while it is on will not ZAP = BOOM...
It was a bust by mythbusters... It is something that is recommended though... but your car won't make this happen...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I pumped gas with the key on once, not running, just on, and it threw a CEL and ran like crap for awhile, and the gas gauge took forever to go up all the way, like 20 miles of driving before it corrected itself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts