Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really looking for the budget winter tire. I know I need to get a decent one for the MS6 but we don't get HORRIBLE winters here in Detroit. Occasionally we'll get some bad flurries and some tough times but I am not going to be climbing snow-covered mountains!

I was starting out looking at the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's from Tirerack (215/50/17) at $571.52 shipped with a $50 rebate. (net: $130/tire) but am thinking I do not want to spend that much if I can help it.

I then searched on Discounttiredirect.com and found these Hankook Icebears W300 ( http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...rd=17&ar=45 ) for $432 shipped (i may be able to snake off $25 by using their credit card) and seem to be V rated (225/45R-17 94V XL B) which is important for us MS6 owners. This works out to be $108/tire or $102 if i get that extra $25.

I know that going 215 would be more advisable for winter driving but the extra $100 would console my loss of traction that I don't believe would be enough to be worrisome.

Anyone have experience with this tire or does something about them glaringly make you want to stand up and tell me NOT to buy these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
So, you already have the 17" wheels? That's where I got hung up. Edge Racing has the Ice Bears for around $400 plus shipping BUT I've only got the 18s and it doesn't look like the ER guys and I are speaking the same language about upgrading the wheels. In the end I went with the Bridgestones ($200 apiece, OUCH!).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch... Yes, I picked up a set of Mazda 6 OEM 17's earlier this fall from these forums. (great price!). Sounds like you have a decent opinion of these tires? Would you recommend them? The reviews I've read are good but I didn't know if they would be specifically for the MS6.

Speaking of, it was crazy weather here in Northern Detroit. I left work with a slick parking lot, gassed it up a bit and spun out of control.... Parking the MS6 until I get winters!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.