Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you (or your wife) think it is at all possible to get this combination built, even though Mazda says it is not based on their website:

- Mazda6 i
- Glacier Silver
- Black leather (NOT Gray)
- 17" rims
- ABS
- Premium and Comfort packages
- NO spoiler and ground effects
- NO Moonroof

I hope Mazda changes this. I don't want to have to get the Sport Package just to get the Black leather.

If I did have to get the Sport Package, do you think Mazda would build it so I didn't have to have the spoiler and ground effects installed?

Dang it, I just want a Silver Mazda6i with Black Leather and the 17" rims. Is that so wrong? :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Replying to Topic 'halfadozen: I have a question for you'

Everything on the car is on a sheet that is hanging from it; the VIN, the commit number in the plant and every option. If it cannot be bought from Mazda, it won't get made in the plant. In other words. no special orders.

Sorry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the reply. Not the answer I really was hoping for. :(

However, the spec I gave above is exactly what I could get if I bought one in Canada. Are the 6s that Canada will be getting soon being built in the same plant as the US versions? If so, why are they so different in the combinations between the 2 countries?

One more question, if you don't mind: If I was to buy a Canadian version, is there a switch or something that I or a technician could fix that would change the speedometer reading from kilometers to miles?

·
Registered
240 Posts

Originally posted by arock

However, the spec I gave above is exactly what I could get if I bought one in Canada. Are the 6s that Canada will be getting soon being built in the same plant as the US versions?[/b]
Yes

If so, why are they so different in the combinations between the 2 countries?[/b]
slightly different markets, so different marketing, different packages.

One more question, if you don't mind: If I was to buy a Canadian version, is there a switch or something that I or a technician could fix that would change the speedometer reading from kilometers to miles?[/b]
Canadian speedometer display both Km/h and miles/h. Km/h are better displayed, while miles/h are in smaller print.

It is possible to buy in Canada and to import to US, but there are thousands of rules that are set by DOT (to protect US market from import). But since the Mazda 6 is made in the US, it might be easier (but I doubt)

Check with DOT:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

MazdaForLife, thanks for the info. However, instead of "speedometer" what I meant to say was "odometer." Is there a way to view the odometer in both kilometers and miles already or is there something that could be adjusted to display miles if one wanted to?

·
Registered
146 Posts

MazdaForLife, thanks for the info. However, instead of "speedometer" what I meant to say was "odometer." Is there a way to view the odometer in both kilometers and miles already or is there something that could be adjusted to display miles if one wanted to?[/b]
I have driven the Euro versions of the Mazda6; the Km vs. Mph was not comfortable for me. As noted above; the metric is large; the english units is small. There is no switch I know of that you can throw to change the modes; I could be wrong though.

I can tell you that there are some weird things on the Canada vs. US versions of the car from the plant. On the Canadian version the dimming Rearview mirror with compass and Homelink is a factory installed option; the US version is done across the street in shipping - NOT part of the factory (as is the chrome package and aluminum fuel filler door). Strange, but true.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

halfadozen: Would you mind checking around to see how easy or tough it would be to read a Canadian Mazda6's Odometer (not Speedometer) in miles? Since the Odometer is electronic I would hope it isn't too tough. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts

halfadozen: Would you mind checking around to see how easy or tough it would be to read a Canadian Mazda6's Odometer (not Speedometer) in miles? Since the Odometer is electronic I would hope it isn't too tough. Thanks.[/b]
The factory is back online after the holiday break on Thursday: I will have my wife look into it ...

·
Registered
240 Posts

No you can not read the odometer in miles, only in Km.

My understanding is that the speedometer/odometer is the same physical part but calibrated differently (and more likely has different part number). I don't expect dealer or mechanic can change the calibration. They have to change the part since those things are seal and tamper proof to prevent market racket.

As well, for American to buy in Canada, they would have to pay state sale tax (state dependant, check with your local authorities) if the vehicle is bought in less than 90 days. Custom will have to be paid as well. This might not be that bad since the vehicle is manufactured in the US contrarely to any other cars that can be manufactured in Canada or imported from oversea for the Canadian market. You will have to pay for conversion (e.g. odometer).

For some vehicle it might come cheeper to buy in Canada for an American. Because MSRP is based on a market value and not the manufacturing cost. So some model can be big saler in the US (like Ford explorer) which may make their price higher, while in Canada they may not sale as much, so there price is lower (i.e. price is adjusted accordingly to the market). To find out for a particular vehicle, you will have to do your homework. The saving may not worth all the trouble to deal will all the bureaucracy (DOT, Custom, State sale tax, etc) afterall. It is for you to find out.

However you may want to check the possibility to buy a Canadian Mazda6 right from the US manufacture. You would only have to deal with DOT and state sale tax (and not custom). It was current practice for Canadian gorvernment officals (military, diplomats) that were posted in Germany to buy German cars right from the German manufacture but build with the Canadian specification. Six months later, they were able to bring those cars to Canada custom free and with no required modification. However they had to cope with the following annoyance for a while: Since 1987 approx, Canadian car specification required headlight to be automatically turned on even during daylight. The German drivers were all flashing their headlights to those Canadian Spec car thinking their drivers forgot their headlight on. I only drove few days in German with one of those car, and I was sick at the end of the day of being flashed by all income cars.

PS - If you do all the research, please let us know your findings.

·
Registered
205 Posts

halfadozen,

2 questions for you:

- Do you know the date when they start assembling the Canadian spec Mazda6? Have they started already? The wait is killing us up here!

- What other differences are there between how they assemble the Canadian vs US specifications?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The Canadian 6's are assambled at a speciel line just between the toilets and the coffee machine. To make it more exciting everyone working on that line is wearing a blindfold.
They use glue instead of bolts to put the car togherer and the odometers is calibrated to read inches instead of km :p :p :p

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Some info for Americans thinking about buying a car in Canada:
Because of the current weakness of the Canadian dollar, many Americans have taken up the practice of hopping the border and buying cars. Not only private individuals, but also many dealerships have been doing this.

Manufacturers have set up numerous blocks to prevent this practice, or at least slow it down. At this point, many have decided not to honor warranties on cars in the US that have Canadian VINs.

If you do want to import a Canadian car, you should do the following:
1. Check with the DOT to get the steps to follow.
2. Obtain all the documentation you will need.
3. Contact the manufacturer to find out about their policy on this.
4. Contact a Canadian dealer who will help you.
5. Contact a Customs agency, who will help you with clearing customs.

There are a few steps to make the car DOT legal, including certification from the manufacturer that the car will meet US emissions and crash standards. You will need to have the car's odometer and/or speedometer converted to english measurements. You can get a form where you sign an affadavit to the effect that you will have the conversion done in a given period of time. All this plus customs fees will run you between $500-1500. You will also pay both GST (goods and services tax) and PST (provincial sales tax). In BC, for instance, that adds up to a whopping 14%. The good news is that you get the GST returned to you at the border.

All this sounds like a lot of trouble, and it is. But in spite of all the costs, you can still save quite a boodle doing this. There is a thriving gray market business in used cars. A Canadian will buy a new car, drive it for six months, then sell it privately to a dealer for more than he bought it for. The dealer then sells it for under US MSRP at a hefty profit. Unfortunately, many of these dealers don't disclose the origins of the car, and often don't do the work necessary to make the car legal and basically shaft the customer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts