Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Traded in my 6 on Saturday. Had too many things going wrong with it.

• Rear fender rusting from the inside out
  • Clock/Radio/HVAC LED display was half burned out
  • 6-Disc CD changer no longer worked
  • Grinding noise from somewhere when cornering in cold weather
  • Whistling noise from exhaust flex pipes behind the transmission (end caps for flex sections rusted off, creating an exhaust leak)
  • Driver door lock actuator was shot
  • All fluids due to be replaced
  • Timing chain and serpentine belt nearly due for replacement
  • Anything else they normally replace when doing the timing chain (water and/or oil pumps?)
  • Lift gate gas shocks mostly dead, even in warm weather.
  • Slow leak on one wheel that the dealer couldn't fix without replacing the wheel

Traded it in and still got $4000 on trade-in for it, even with all that stuff wrong. What did I get? I'm glad you asked!

2016 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring in Ceramic Silver Metallic! So far, I'm loving it!

·
Super Moderator
17,088 Posts
Wow, sad to see her go but at least you got many good miles out of it and still got a good trade in value.

Congrats on the purchase :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh! I also forgot that the passenger side fog light had some sort of grounding problem which prevented it from lighting up properly. Likely a short somewhere. Dealer service tech said he couldn't rewire it and instead needed to replace the whole housing. I was skeptical of that claim and intended to take a crack at rewiring it myself. I just stopped using the fog lights in the meantime to prevent the short, if that's what it really was, from causing more problems or burning something up.

Here's a Google Images pic of an identical car to the one I have. I'm at work and don't have pics with me here.

I bought it at Russ Darrow Metro Mazda here in Milwaukee. They had about 6 CX-3's on the lot in various colors and trims, all of them AWD. They wanted to charge me extra for the color because it was "in demand" even though it lists at the same price as every other color except for Soul Red and the new pearly white color which costs extra. I said I wasn't paying extra for the color when the sticker prices are the same between this and the black one I test drove.

So here's my quick and dirty review on it:
* Bose sound system is better than what was in the 1st Gen. 6 like I had. It really does sound pretty good.

* I got a little over 33 MPG on a road trip to Illinois I took within hours of taking delivery. It's only rated for 32 MPG highway and it wasn't even broken in yet.

* Ride quality is pretty good. As smooth as the 6 is, I would say.

* Handling is very nearly as good as the 2007 Mazda3 I used to have. It's a bit more top-heavy and slower to accelerate than the 3, but still pretty agile and responsive, even on the 16" factory wheels.

* The small cargo space is something I'll need to get used to, but we have a Subaru Forester if we need to haul around big loads.

* The cup holders and arm rest are laid out in an odd way where you have to flip up the arm rest to use the cup holders. It's kind of an annoyance, but I can live with it.

* It's a big change with the reduction in storage areas in and around the dash compared to the 6. You get a decent sized glove box, a sunglass holder in the overhead console, and door pockets. No armrest storage, no other compartments on the dash, etc. Meh. I had too much junk in the 6 I never used anyway. Probably for the best.

* The back seat head rests only have two positions. All the way up or all the way down. There's no notches in between. This was uncomfortable for my 8 year old. Up was too high and down was too low. I'll have to cut some notches in the stems on the head rests or come up with some other means of providing an in-between stop on the head rest.

* Like the 6 5-Door, the rear seats don't fold down all the way flat. Close, but not quite. Not a deal breaker for me, but some people don't like it. Every hatch I've had has been the same this way, including my Forester.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaaaand, I’m back. Got a new 2018 Mazda6 GT in Machine Grey Metallic!

Got in a wreck in the CX-3 on Easter Sunday on the way home. A tour bus changed lanes into my lane without looking. Clipped the back corner of my car, spun me out, but he kept coming over and my car ended up in front of the bus being pushed almost half a block and eventually into a light pole in the median. My 7 year old daughter was in the car with me. We both walked out of with without even a bump, scratch, or a bruise, so we’re both fine, but my kid was terrified pretty bad for a few hours. She had an interesting story to tell on Tuesday when she went back to school!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Wow. That accident sucks in a big way. Glad youre both okay. Hope your daughter gets over the experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. That accident sucks in a big way. Glad youre both okay. Hope your daughter gets over the experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
She was okay the next day already. No reservations about getting into a car again and no lost sleep or anything. There was plenty of screaming and hollering by both of us when the crash was actively happening, but I remained calm immediately afterward and didn’t blow up on the bus driver even though I really wanted to. I think that helped calm her down by not adding to the already traumatic experience.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Geez, that looks pretty serious. Glad everyone was able to walk away. Nice looking 2018 6 too, how's it compared to the other Mazdas you be owned?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez, that looks pretty serious. Glad everyone was able to walk away. Nice looking 2018 6 too, how's it compared to the other Mazdas you be owned?
Haven’t put many miles on it yet. A lot of little things feel familiar for sure. Little touches here and there that have been with the 6 since gen 1. Like the vent fan speed LCD indicator on the dash which uses the same artwork as it’s always been which I think is unique to the 6. I don’t remember if the 3 used the same art for this. Little stuff like that. The driver’s seat feels good. Power seat controls still pretty much the same as always. Overall it definitely feels like a 6, alright. Steering is tight. Not a ton of body roll. One thing I did notice though is when going over bumps like, say, a railroad crossing or expansion joint, the rear end feels like it wiggles a bit when the weight distribution shifts. I don’t recall any of my other Mazda’s doing that, FWD or AWD.

The power from the 2.5L turbo feels good. I love that I don’t have to put premium gas in it, which is kind of rare for a turbo engine. I haven’t noticed any torque steer, but I can’t say I’ve really pushed it much. It’s only got 19 miles on the odometer, after all.

The Bose system in this I think is unchanged from the last year or two. I was surprised to learn that they aren’t including a subwoofer with the system anymore and they’re relying on the door speakers now to provide all the bass. The system sounds good, but kind of weak on the low-frequencies. I’ve got a small 10” Kicker in a slim pickup truck box and a matching amp sitting around that I’m thinking about putting in to help. This car is a lease though, so I’m not sure if I should.

This is my third 6 I’ve had. 6 6 6. I hope that’s not a bad omen! Previously had and ‘04 and an ‘05, both 3.0L 5-doors. Also had an ‘07 Mazda3 2.3L GT sedan between those other two 6’s. Had the ‘16 CX-3 AWD Touring for a little over 2 years. Wife drives a ‘16 CX-5 Sport FWD. so sixth Mazda in total that we’ve had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts