Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going on a spirited run through Palomar Mountain Road (just before San Diego) and I experienced some snap oversteer. I wasn't even really going that fast (I want to say I was going maybe 55mph through the turn) and I started feeling a loss of control which caused a full blown spin out. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure the oversteer was caused by the CorkSport Rear Sway Bar (25mm) and my liftoff of the throttle in the long sweeper. I believe me letting off of the throttle combined with the stiffened rear end caused the car to snap oversteer and I had no space to correct it and just had to let it slide into the dirt. Luckily nothing happened and no one was injured.

With that being said, anyone else experience close calls in their Mazda 6?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen it happen. You had to be pushing hard for that to happen. Very dangerous on public roads...
Entered the turn too fast, so it was basically an impossible save. I just did my best to control where it slid to and luckily there was no one there to hit me or be hit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Entered the turn too fast, so it was basically an impossible save. I just did my best to control where it slid to and luckily there was no one there to hit me or be hit.
To be honest you should know not to drive like this on public roads... Maybe if you experienced first-hand what driving like this does to cars and people after mistakes are made you'd be safer. Be careful.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest you should know not to drive like this on public roads... Maybe if you experienced first-hand what driving like this does to cars and people after mistakes are made you'd be safer. Be careful.
Yeah I agree, I should be more mindful about that and will definitely practice safer driving in the future.

·
Rally Racer
1,973 Posts
I was going on a spirited run through Palomar Mountain Road (just before San Diego) and I experienced some snap oversteer. I wasn't even really going that fast (I want to say I was going maybe 55mph through the turn) and I started feeling a loss of control which caused a full blown spin out. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure the oversteer was caused by the CorkSport Rear Sway Bar (25mm) and my liftoff of the throttle in the long sweeper. I believe me letting off of the throttle combined with the stiffened rear end caused the car to snap oversteer and I had no space to correct it and just had to let it slide into the dirt. Luckily nothing happened and no one was injured.

Your first spin in that car? Glad you weren't (or anyone else) hurt.
FWD + lift throttle + mid-turn = control penalty x10

Maybe spend some time/money to learn what it feels like at/beyond limit on the track.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Autocross it. You'll learn to push the limits in a safer environment without having to do it on public roads.
Autocrossing in February 2020 and hitting the track in December 2019!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Maybe spend some time/money to learn what it feels like at/beyond limit on the track.
Technically the second spin, the first was on the track, but it was much less dramatic. I am going back to the track in December and usually don't push the car hard on the street, just got a bit carried away going through the canyon roads with my buddy.

·
Rally Racer
1,973 Posts
Technically the second spin, the first was on the track, but it was much less dramatic. I am going back to the track in December and usually don't push the car hard on the street, just got a bit carried away going through the canyon roads with my buddy.
Ah yes, the "buddy" effect. I know this phenomenon well.

Remember "slow in, fast out"

·
Registered
218 Posts

That's one of the first things I do, take a new to me vehicle out on the tracks and learn how she handles. Between the flat turns at the Milwaukee Mile and Road America I can pretty much know how she'll do in what

·
Rally Racer
1,973 Posts
And I heard someone said, "When in doubt, flat out."

I don't know exactly what he meant.
"When in doubt, flat out." - Colin McRae (one of my heroes I must confess)
Another
“Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.” - Colin McRae

If you want to know what he meant, well, total commitment.
Here is a small taste towards the end testing for Skoda. In a typical rally there are hours of driving with that intensity.

·
Registered
703 Posts
"When in doubt, flat out." - Colin McRae (one of my heroes I must confess)
Another
“Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.” - Colin McRae

If you want to know what he meant, well, total commitment.
Here is a small taste towards the end testing for Skoda. In a typical rally there are hours of driving with that intensity.
I didn't know this was from this guy. I just heard it from someone. Since I'm with my wife right now, she asked me what it meant, "6 right and 6 left". Then we heard, "5 minus". I can't explain as I also don't know.

Then my wife suddenly said that I won't be able to follow whatever instructions are there as I always get lost.

Thank you for the video, I enjoyed it while taking lunch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've had many in the 4 years that I've owned my 1st gen but never due to my own driving. It's always other asshats out there cutting people off at the last sec or jumping lanes because someone is stopping in front of them. When a larger vehicle does this in front of me an all I see is brake light once they move over it always scares the shit out of me. I have great brakes on the car and she stops on a dime if I need.

With that said, don't be like the asshats out there. I'm glad that you have track time scheduled but please wait until track time. If you do stuff like this on the streets, someone WILL get hurt. Don't think that it will never happen to you because it very well could. Either you're going to get hurt or your "sprinted runs" will end up causing someone else to get hurt.

If you can't wait until track days, MAKE FRIENDS with someone who owns an industrial park, large parking lot, large warehouse lot, etc. and see if it's ok for you to "run" there. This can help feed the need and keep it out of the streets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not in my 6, but several years back in my younger stupid days I had a similar experience in my old Miata. I had just a week before upgraded to an adjustable suspension and didn't really have a feel for the limits of the handling in the car, and a Miata with good tires and upgraded suspension has very high limits. I went on a trip to Deals Gap in the mountains of NC/TN with some buddies and I had the suspension set to full stiff to carve my way through those mountains. I found out the hard way the full stiffness does not mean full grip, as that car actually does much better if you loosen up the rear. Went around a tight turn following some RX-7s going a little too fast, one of my rear tires hit a bump in the road which caused me to slide. I got control of it enough to not slide off the side of the mountain but there wasn't enough road to regain full grip and I ended up running into the ditch on the other side. The car thankfully wasn't damaged that much but it cost me a ton to get it towed back home.

On that day I learned an important lesson: Leave that kind of driving for the track. I almost died because of stupidity.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had many in the 4 years that I've owned my 1st gen but never due to my own driving. It's always other asshats out there cutting people off at the last sec or jumping lanes because someone is stopping in front of them. When a larger vehicle does this in front of me an all I see is brake light once they move over it always scares the shit out of me. I have great brakes on the car and she stops on a dime if I need.

With that said, don't be like the asshats out there. I'm glad that you have track time scheduled but please wait until track time. If you do stuff like this on the streets, someone WILL get hurt. Don't think that it will never happen to you because it very well could. Either you're going to get hurt or your "sprinted runs" will end up causing someone else to get hurt.

If you can't wait until track days, MAKE FRIENDS with someone who owns an industrial park, large parking lot, large warehouse lot, etc. and see if it's ok for you to "run" there. This can help feed the need and keep it out of the streets.

Well said, definitely put things into perspective for me that day. I can't wait to discover the limits of this car in a more safe and fun environment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts