Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced this with a test pipe. It's amazing how much performance this alone can give you! No CEL's either because the 02 sensor is before this cat.

The sound is near-stock but rumbles a bit more and has a muted roar at WOT

Very much worth doing if you do not have strict emission standards in your state. ;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How much to get a test pipe made? Straight pipe or ressonated?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Because this is cheaper. Must be temporary. I thought about gutting that cat.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
no CEL? the second o2 sensor is after this cat and will see whether your cat is working properly or not. give it a little bit of time and report back on whether you get a CEL or not. you should be getting the same CEL cp-e is getting with their offroad pipe.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Are you sure that's not the 2nd cat? The o2 sensors only surround the 1st cat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is the second cat for sure. It just looks different since the heat shield is off. This is a great idea for those who want to upgrade to a larger turbo later. The CPE downpipe will be of no use on non-factory turbos.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
That is the second cat for sure. It just looks different since the heat shield is off. This is a great idea for those who want to upgrade to a larger turbo later. The CPE downpipe will be of no use on non-factory turbos.
[/b]
I'll see about that. :D

...You should see my welding.

·
Registered
375 Posts
nice job...
why not just get a high flow cat if you really wanna keep emissions stuff on there

·
Registered
788 Posts
I already did what he did by putting a 3" in/out borla muffler with a 3" pipe all the back like CP-E but to the other exhaust hole...i never saw any check engine lights because there are no O2 sensors after that cat...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wouldn't an O2 simulater take care of the cels. If all that O2 does is check if the cat is working the simulator would work.

·
Registered
788 Posts
There's nothing to simulate, the second cat has nothing to do with the O2 sensors...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It cost $50 at a local muffler shop to replace it with a steel tube. It is the second cat and there are no 02 sensors after it so no worries.

The car pulls harder and sounds *a little* louder. I am not going to get a CPE downpipe because they are robbing you at that price. If I get rid of the first cat, I will either get a spark plug extender and plug the 02 into that with some cat material or get a simulator and hope that works.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It cost $50 at a local muffler shop to replace it with a steel tube. It is the second cat and there are no 02 sensors after it so no worries.

The car pulls harder and sounds *a little* louder. I am not going to get a CPE downpipe because they are robbing you at that price. If I get rid of the first cat, I will either get a spark plug extender and plug the 02 into that with some cat material or get a simulator and hope that works.
[/b]
Hey, do you have any pics of the piece they put in? Under car pics perhaps?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I plan on doing the same thing, probably in the next week or so. However, instead of a straight pipe, I'm going to put in an Aeroturbine muffler in place of the 2nd cat. Apparently it's supposed to "work" better if placed as close as possible to the exhaust manifold. Sure, but what the heck, if I can place it there, why not? At the bumper end I'm going to put on some type of resonator, probably about 16" long.

If I have problems with emissions testing, I'll take out the muffler and put the 2nd cat back in, have it retested, then swap out again.

I'll post some pics and a summary once it's done.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You should have them make a flange instead of cutting off the stock one from the stock cat...thats the mistake i made...

·
Registered
788 Posts
its one of those ball socket flanges, its not a normal flange...its about 2.75"...thats the problem with recreating it...if someone could get one made that would be pretty awesome, cause then you can run an exhaust and keep your stock downpipe, which is actually about a 2.75" diameter outlet...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts