Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I did not know that! I think I've seen two-speed automatics on 1960s US cars, but never a three-on-the-floor. Let alone all synchro. How far back is this?
Three on the floor, totally non-synchro, it seems to me was the norm in the '30's. I think it was Borg-Warner in the late 30's which put a three on the floor - synchro on 2nd and 3rd (though not 1st) - into a late 30's Chevrolet. There is a General Motors / Chevrolet (originally produced) Youtube video out there about this. It shows a youngish woman with gloves - women's gloves - trying out the car, showing how easily she was shifting the longish floor shifter as she went down a hill... first upshifting to 2nd then to 3rd... then shifting down, presumably, to assist the brakes on the down-gradient. The shift pattern is left and back (down) for first; across the lock and to the upper right for 2nd. Then directly down for third. Reverse was above 1st (and no lockout, BTW). H pattern.

Oh, the Youtube? Here it is:

Skip forward to the 2:50 point... and then up to the 8:19 mark...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Some of the first Mustangs, both 6- and 8 cyl. - were avail. with 3 on the floor, synchro in at least 2nd and 3rd. That was the "std" trans. Automatic and four-speed manual were options. No on the tree transmissions were available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts