Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So its about time to upgrade my headlights and I know i need some h1's (bc i can't afford the HID unfortunately right now--sad i know--) but anyone got some suggestions for brands...ive read some bad things about the sylvania stars blowin out alot so i dont wanna go with them. I ideally want a nice white xenon look- i guess that would be like 4000-5000k or somethin and to be brighter than the stock halogen. I found some decently priced Xtec's but was curious what else is out there??

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Nothing is going to be brighter unless you go 100w (VERY bad idea) or get HID's.

Go with the xtecs from donny. Lifetime warranty and 4000k

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
PIAA's are always good for the money. But I myself want across the pond and ordered from Powerbulbs.com where they sell the Osrams and thier own brand. I opted for the cheapie to see and because it is buy one get one free :). I figured if it were to blow, I would have an extra set. Again, bulbs are nice and bright, but I am unsure in what the comparison is with the Xtecs. Sorry.

Good luck in shopping!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Unfortunately, I've had my fairshare of experiences with H1 bulbs.

Like bears mentioned, XTEC is probably the best bang for the money, with club sponsorship (RPM) and a lifetime warranty backing the product, probably can't go wrong.

Many members (myself included) favor PIAA bulbs. The cost is the only negative factor. To get a replacement bulb involves a bit more effort than with XTEC.

Silverstars, which cost the same as XTECs...don't have the proven longevity as other manufacturers.

Luminics: STAY AWAY. Were given a grade of "F" from the Better Business Bureau (in LA County). I've written a desciptive post regarding this company.

There are a few other choices, which you might be able to uncover the details of if you did a bit more research on the forum.

Before I buy another set of bulbs, I'll make the plunge for HIDs.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Xtec bulbs arent all that great, or atleast I didnt think so. I had a few problems getting my replacement bulbs from them when they burnt out on me, and to be honest, the bulbs are really not worth it at all. The output seemed to me to be less than stock. Only thing that is good bout them is the warranty and you will diffently need to use it cause the bulbs dont last that long, atleast not for me that is... I decided to take the plunge and save up and get HID's. And it was well worth it. But if you really cant afford it would also suggest looking into MTEC bulbs. I used those for years on my old blazer and they worked great. Good color and good output for the money.

·
Registered
328 Posts
you are just better off saving up the bit of money and going with a HID kit. ive had silverstar bulbs in my car and they were fine at first but burnt out WAY too fast. i have some other super blue ones in there now and they suck. i finally broke down and bought a HID from donny at RPM. just waiting for it to come so i can install it.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Then you will feel the urge to install HID's in your lower bumper too... :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Then you will feel the urge to install HID's in your lower bumper too... :)
[/b]
i know that feeling.. even though I dont even have lower fogs yet :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you can't afford HID, the best halogen bulbs in my opinion are the philips vision plus bulbs from powerbulbs.uk. I've had them for over 30000 km and just took one out yesterday to see how they looked after almost 1 year of use. The bulbs themselves looked like new so they should last for some time. Output is better than stock with longer and wider beam.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just installed them and the fogs in mine. I think they look great. Output is a little better than factory, color is better, worth the money I think.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The way I see it, I wouldn't go for it. You might be getting ones for the highs, lows, and fogs. That'll come up to (maybe) $100 for the set. An HID kit can cost you around $250ish. In the end, you'd wind up spending one and a half times more money. It's kinda the same thing with the eBay fogs vs. the OEM fogs.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd save the $100 and put it towards an HID kit.

Of course, I've never tried these things. But, I can always spot the fakes from a distance. I've also heard that the bulbs don't really make much of a difference when it comes to visibility.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I just installed them and the fogs in mine. I think they look great. Output is a little better than factory, color is better, worth the money I think.
[/b]
Nice. When you get a free second sometime in the next week, mind taking a picture at night without a flash? Im curious to see what the light output and color on these is.

The way I see it, I wouldn't go for it. You might be getting ones for the highs, lows, and fogs. That'll come up to (maybe) $100 for the set. An HID kit can cost you around $250ish. In the end, you'd wind up spending one and a half times more money. It's kinda the same thing with the eBay fogs vs. the OEM fogs.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd save the $100 and put it towards an HID kit.

Of course, I've never tried these things. But, I can always spot the fakes from a distance. I've also heard that the bulbs don't really make much of a difference when it comes to visibility.
[/b]
I know what you are getting at, however for 30 bucks for the low beams and 30 bucks for the foglights, 60 bucks really isnt much compared to 260 for HIDs. I wouldnt waste my money on high beams, which I use maybe 1-2 times a month if that...... plus if they come with a lifetime warranty then its not a REAL bad deal. I still need to do a little more research on the different kits and bulbs and see a few pictures before I make up my mind.....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I may be the only idiot who ordered piaa spark 8000k's at 80 bucks a pop lol. i spent 172 after shipping on h1 and h3's for the fog and low beams and they're the 8000k so they are nice and blue. if i don't like them i'll return them and do HID's. my main concern is that in the 06'(don't know if it is this way on 05 or 04') the foglights turn on with the headlights and i don't want to click them off daily. my thought is i'll do matching headlight/foglights for now and eventually do matching headlight/foglight HID's.

from what i've heard though the piaa sparks are the best non hid bulbs made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just installed my new PIAA H1 extreme white plus headlights and they really look good. Brightness of the light is leagues better than the stock bulbs and the color is a really nice clean white. Add these to the 194 LEDs, and it looks sick. I would def. recommend this for those not wanting to spend an arm and a leg right now on the HIDs.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Just installed my new PIAA H1 extreme white plus headlights and they really look good. Brightness of the light is leagues better than the stock bulbs and the color is a really nice clean white. Add these to the 194 LEDs, and it looks sick. I would def. recommend this for those not wanting to spend an arm and a leg right now on the HIDs.
[/b]
those are 1 or 2 levels lower than the sparks right? i know i paid like i said 172 shipped for my sparks but they're supposedly the closest thing to a 55w HID you can get without spending 350.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Absolutly love the bright true white coming from my Philips Vision +50. They are the best that I personaly have owned. And I have gone through a few after market bulbs.
PM'd info for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
those are 1 or 2 levels lower than the sparks right? i know i paid like i said 172 shipped for my sparks but they're supposedly the closest thing to a 55w HID you can get without spending 350.
[/b]
yea the extreme white plus are one level lower in terms of brigthness than the sparks which are like 6000k or 8000k or somethin like that but ill tell ya the ones i got are pretty damn bright as of now. ill try to get some pics of the parking light/h1 look for you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts