Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am new here. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide me with this issue.

I picked up my car yesterday from getting my differential replaced under warranty after it started knocking on acceleration...... And guess what, I still hear knocking upon acceleration coming from the rear differential. It happened as soon as I picked it up, and I was like WTF and was about to drive it right back but was so tired of the POS Jetta I got as a loaner, that I decided to monitor it for one more day.

The knocking went away, and did not hear it again....

Today, I get into my car to go to work get to 3rd gear, and there it is knock-knock-knock.. ... FUCK WHAT THE HELL

I call the dealer and he tells me to bring it in for a ride along with the tech who worked on my car. Ok, I schedule a time to come in today.

The car warms up and no more knocking on acceleration, Please help people WTF can this be?

Thanks,
Vlad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dealer gave me a bottle of the fluid they used, for the experts here, please chime in if it is the correct one. I am 90% sure that fluid is the issue here.

The fluid is:

MAZDA Premium Rear Axle Lubricant SAE 85W-90. On the back it says - Exceeds API GL-5 Requirements
Part Number: 0000-77-80W9-QT
MSDS# OL016

Please include links to official sources if possible. When fighting with the dealer I will need them!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Quote:
The 75W-90NS is a GL-5 rated oil, you would want to stick to GL-4 for the transmission. MTL would be a better choice.[/b]
Not to revive an old thread, but I'm preparing for the dealer to fix my passenger rear axle oil seal at the differential, and they are letting me bring in my own fluid for the refill. I was checking over the factory WSM and found some info that might be beneficial in this thread...

The WSM calls for the following...

Tranmission Oil Replacement [A26MX-R]

Manual Transaxle Oil [A26MX-R]

Specified Oil Grade: API Service Grade GL-4 or GL-5
Specified Oil Viscosity: SAE 75W-90
Capacity: Approx 2.69 US qt

Rear Differential Oil Type:

Grade: API Service GL-5
Viscosity: SAE90, SAE 80W-90, SAE 75W-90 (Not Available From Mazda) <--??
Capacity: 1.06 US qt

Transfer Case:

Specified Oil Grade: API Service GL-5
Specified Oil Viscosity: SAE 80W-90
Capacity: 1.3 US qt

Hope that helps...

Also, there is no mention at all of friction modifiers for the rear differential. I assume because it uses an electro-magnetic clutch instead of clutch plates it shouldn't need friction modifiers. I'm not sure if putting in oil with them will hurt anything...but I'm guessing it won't make much difference...

That's info from the diff oil how to, courtesey of Insane.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I want to say that fluid is fine.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Knocking from a diff? While i dont know the Speed6's as much, my Talon developed a drive shaft issue that turned out being one of the carrier bearing bolts. It allowed the shaft to jump up and down under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So something else must be wrong... This only occurs when the car is cold, after the diff warms up it goes away. And only in 3rd and 4th gears in the range of 2500-3200 rpms

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
That's weird as shit. I don't know...

The ebrake trick doesn't yield any clues? I think you can eliminate post clutch pack if you still hear it with the ebrake engaged. And if that doesn't satisy, isn't there a relay someplace that disengages the rear end if it's pulled?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts