Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.importclassifieds.ca/cgi-bin/ul...ic;f=6;t=011808

WARNING to 56K USERS...PICS ARE EFFIN HUGE!

The guy was running the car hard and accidentally downshifted into 2nd from 4th...kaboom!

Please tell me our 6 has some sort of gaurd mechanism against this type of catastrophe.. I like the guys who says Honda won't repair this under warranty because Honda doesn't cover "stupidity" ...lol.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Guy Blows his RSX Type-S Engine Up!'

Originally posted by applejax

Oh, Kincaid...[/b]
Clink link!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by Absolut

The 6 has a rev limiter to prevent this sort of thing.  Apparentally the RSX does not.

oh.. and welcome to yesterday :)[/b]
Was this posted before..... well it's amazing to me anyway. Scary pics...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reading Topic: Guy Blows his RSX Type-S Engine Up!

That's one of the drawbacks of these small high revving 4 cyl engine... They have such a high piston speed at redline that a mistake like this can easily exceed the maximum piston speed the engine can withstand. I remember reading somewhere that the RSX and especially the S2000 are approaching F1 engines as far as piston speed is concerned. All I can say is OUCH... because that will not be covered under warantee. Q: Hello, State farm? Yeah I'm a dumb @$$ and I blew up my brand new motor...can you help? A:Sure no problem! just don't pass out when you get your next insurance premium notice! :)

Jon

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Guy B

He did not downshift from 4th to 2nd. He downshifted from 5th, tried to go to 4th, missed and ended up in 2nd. Why you would downshift at all when you're already at 7000 RPM's I don't know.

This guy is a moron.

This is extensively discussed at the thread at:
http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=4376

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

And regardless of revlimiter - if you do that with a 6 the same will happen - since the limiter cannot "brake" the engine down since the gearbox is forcing the engine to rev higher...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally posted by Blackbird

And regardless of revlimiter - if you do that with a 6 the same will happen - since the limiter cannot "brake" the engine down since the gearbox is forcing the engine to rev higher...[/b]
Are you certain about this? I thought this was the purpose of a rev limiter....

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The revlimiter only stops you from reving to high by appyling to much throttle. It just cuts the fuel.

But when you do like in the above situation, the tranny will force the engine to rev up, since there is no real "brake" there to stop the engine. The only thing that would stop the engine would be to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

And most modern EMS do some datalogging. I'm sure the dealer could download the data and tell you exactly what RPM he hit.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

And most modern EMS do some datalogging. I'm sure the dealer could download the data and tell you exactly what RPM he hit.[/b]
Yup, nearly every new car and truck for the past couple of years has rolled off the assembly line with a black box, that stores the final minutes before ultimate failure of the engine or what really happened in a wreck. Dealers are equipped with scantools for these black boxes. In Pontiacs it is located under the front seats.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6guy

Originally posted by Blackbird

And regardless of revlimiter - if you do that with a 6 the same will happen - since the limiter cannot "brake" the engine down since the gearbox is forcing the engine to rev higher...[/b]
Are you certain about this? I thought this was the purpose of a rev limiter....[/b][/quote]

Think of the physical aspects of it... Think about when your 5...ahh good times.... now think of your big wheel...mmmm blue monster.... now you know sense your 5 you can only petal a certain speed and you run outa juice, ok now take you big wheel down an embankment or large hill, that things going to pick up A LOT of speed.... now think about being forced (ie the clutch petal) to put you feet on those petals at those speeds....uh oh time to get out the bandages!

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

you see, that is the reason i don't trust myself downshifting to 4th, most of the time i put it in 3rd from 5th, if i'm around 60mph or less

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I surprised the clutch didn't just bust before engaging completely. Might have saved some wear on the engine internals.

I can't beleive the sizing of that stuff in the oil pan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts