Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I got a CEL for the 2nd time since gutting the airbox. Both times it happened at WOT in the lower gears during heavy rain. I was concerned that the airbox might be taking in water, so I pulled it open to have a look. I was quite surprised to find that not only was the air filter wet, it was discolored at one end from taking in so much dirty water. When I removed the filter I saw that the bottom of the airbox had water spots, indicating that a significant amount of water had made it inside the airbox. What surprised me even more was seeing water spots on the underside of the airbox lid, indicating that water was definitely getting through the filter. This is on an otherwise stock MS6 with only the resonator removed from the bottom of the airbox and the diffuser plate removed from the inside of the airbox.

I ended up putting the diffuser plate back in the bottom of the airbox, but I'll have to wait for the next heavy rain to see if it actually helped. I'm still a bit shocked about just how much water seems to get into that area of the engine bay. As you can see in the last pic, even the inside of the "tuba" has some water spotting. After seeing this I'm curious as to how a CAI that puts the filter even further down in the wheel well can manage to stay dry.

·
Registered
364 Posts
looks like the filter is doing it's job

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Why exactly were you at WOT in very heavy rain? The tuba is probably how it got in there in the first place. I removed mine a while back and never had any problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why exactly were you at WOT in very heavy rain?
[/b]
For the same reason I go to WOT on a sunny day: because it's fun. :drive:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Or for a temporary fix, use duct tape on the inside to cover the vents, problem solved.

·
Registered
788 Posts
^lol...duct tape...$30k car and you want to put duct tape on it, while i'm sure that would probably work...lol...okay i'm done...

·
Registered
788 Posts
This weekend I got a CEL for the 2nd time since gutting the airbox. Both times it happened at WOT in the lower gears during heavy rain. I was concerned that the airbox might be taking in water, so I pulled it open to have a look. I was quite surprised to find that not only was the air filter wet, it was discolored at one end from taking in so much dirty water. When I removed the filter I saw that the bottom of the airbox had water spots, indicating that a significant amount of water had made it inside the airbox. What surprised me even more was seeing water spots on the underside of the airbox lid, indicating that water was definitely getting through the filter. This is on an otherwise stock MS6 with only the resonator removed from the bottom of the airbox and the diffuser plate removed from the inside of the airbox.

I ended up putting the diffuser plate back in the bottom of the airbox, but I'll have to wait for the next heavy rain to see if it actually helped. I'm still a bit shocked about just how much water seems to get into that area of the engine bay. As you can see in the last pic, even the inside of the "tuba" has some water spotting. After seeing this I'm curious as to how a CAI that puts the filter even further down in the wheel well can manage to stay dry.
[/b]
Did you actually have someone read the code? or did you just reset it? If so, what code did it throw?

I don't see an issue.
[/b]
You don't see an issue with duct tape?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
You don't see an issue with duct tape?
[/b]
Only if duct tape has an issue with me. :)

Well, I don't see an issue with the water. Now if there's water spots on the hose that's connected to the airbox, I might be bothered but only by a little tiny bit. But as atc5 mentioned, it looks like the filter is doing a decent job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you actually have someone read the code? or did you just reset it? If so, what code did it throw?
[/b]
Nope, didn't have anyone read the code.

Well, I don't see an issue with the water. Now if there's water spots on the hose that's connected to the airbox, I might be bothered but only by a little tiny bit. But as atc5 mentioned, it looks like the filter is doing a decent job.
[/b]

The filter is doing a decent job, but water is most certainly getting past it and in no small amounts. There were water spots on the inside of the lid of the airbox and a few on the tube leading out of the airbox. It was enough water to cause the engine to stumble and misfire and throw a CEL. Any water that makes it to the combustion chamber will raise compression uncontrollably. Even if the water doesn't make it to the combustion chamber, I'm less than thrilled about feeding dirty rainwater into the turbo. I'll probably rig up a splash guard at some point or just go back to stock.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thank you for the info MLuddyJr.

I will check my filter next weekend as I also did the airbox mod.

P.s. ATE BALLER, are you positive that the water is coming from the tuba because I did not remove mine...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It could be. The air-box is designed to bring air into the whole air-box through that tuba. Then the air travels under the plate, swirls around in the resinator box in the wheel well, back under the plate, and eventually out into the rest of the box. Poor design with alot of restriction. I recomend a CAI.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
A little water in your intake won't throw CELs, in fact its good for cooling :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only if duct tape has an issue with me. :)

[/b]
Just a word of caution. The filter isn't designed to remove water, but particles in the air coming into the intake. I worked 18 years in the filtration industry. Depending on the materials in the filtration media, the water could actually cause the fibers to swell, increasing restriction. Increased restriction could cause the filter to fail. They are designed to operate dry.

An exception to this is a filter like the K&N where a cotton fiber is saturated with oil. The oil helps attract and hold very small contaminate particles. This filter is not designed to filter water either.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Just a word of caution. The filter isn't designed to remove water, but particles in the air coming into the intake. I worked 18 years in the filtration industry. Depending on the materials in the filtration media, the water could actually cause the fibers to swell, increasing restriction. Increased restriction could cause the filter to fail. They are designed to operate dry.

An exception to this is a filter like the K&N where a cotton fiber is saturated with oil. The oil helps attract and hold very small contaminate particles. This filter is not designed to filter water either.
[/b]
i wonder if thats what made your cel come on in the first place. maybe it had to do with the filter being top restrictive and making the car lean or something. i dunno

·
Registered
663 Posts

[/b]

ahhhhh Finally!!! the voice of reason!!
I was wondering if anyone was going to state that the filter isn't supposed to get wet.... ever
If you soak that type of filter in water it will swell up like a wet diaper, greatly reducing the airflow.
And judging by the posts that talk about denied warranty claims, the last thing I would want a tech to see is water spots on the wrong side of the filter box.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I never get a CEL when driving through heavy rain. I have the fujita CAI... I'm sure it gets pretty wet.
[/b]

i only respond to this because i installed my fujita intake yesterday. then proceeded to drive home 5 hours in a downpour because i am a dick and decided not to check the weather report. either way about 3 hours into the drive after the heaviest rain i stopped to get gas, popped the hood and there was water marks all over the intake pipe. im sure the filter had gotten wet, no CEL though. i do however think today i will measure the filter, or if anyone knows the exhaust size of the filter they send you? i want to buy a injen hydroshield just as a pre-filter cautionary device for times just like that. all i know if i was scared to hell last night driving, this is the first car i have owned that i ever added a cia instead of just a drop in or sri.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts