Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK - The city is suing 15 out-of-state gun shops it says supply a significant portion of the guns that flow into New York, including some that end up in the hands of criminals.

The lawsuit being filed Monday asks the federal court to order supervision and extra training for the dealers in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia. It also seeks some damages and compensation.

"By and large, most gun dealers respect and follow the law, but the small group of dealers that do not should be held accountable," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement.

The city's law department singled out the 15 gun shops after hiring private investigators who fanned out to dealers in the five states over the past several weeks.

Wearing hidden cameras, the investigators entered stores in teams of two and attempted "straw purchases," in which the buyer completes the paperwork and passes the background check, but later hands over the weapon to someone else who is not allowed to own a firearm.

The scam, prohibited by federal law, is typically used by people who are under 21 or convicted felons. The 15 dealers named in the suit sold guns to the undercover investigators. The city said the sales were refused at about 30 other shops.

The owners of two Georgia gun stores named in the lawsuit denied Monday that they did anything wrong.

Earl Drigers, the owner of A-1 Jewelry and Pawn, said he cooperated with police when they staged a sting at his shop, and believes he has always complied with the law.

"We certainly do everything we can to make sure guns don't leave our store illegally," Driggers said. "I don't know what you're supposed to do. If a guy comes in and meets all the criteria and you comply with the law, I don't know what you do."[/b]
Source

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The guy has a point: If I buy a gun legally, but sell it to some 16 year old, how is the gun shop owner responsible?

If the gun shop owner knowingly sells a gun to some 16 year, then he should face the court system and pay the price.

·
Registered
805 Posts
yeah, thats kinda fishy... how can they blame the gun shop for what someone does outside the shop? (giving the gun to another person) Either there is something they aren't telling in the article or this is just plain ridiculous. Its like the age old "blame the gun manufacturer for someone being killed by their gun"

Why don't we start suing pencil manufacturers when we fail tests! :sarc:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm glad i don't live in NY. i'll never again live in a state with crazy anti-american/anti-firearm laws.

i'll stick to the states where i can legally carry a pistol, or two.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
guns keep good people from being killed by bad people. have you ever been robbed? house broken in while you were at home?

i have. someone broke into my home while i was asleep. my G-17 pointed at his nose changed the situation in a hurry. i don't like to leave the house without a pistol. it's a nice "mod" for the speed6. i have a little .32ACP that fits nicely in the center upper arm rest, for long trips.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It sounds like the 'hand over' was made right in front of the shop owner - possibly in the shop.

Wearing hidden cameras, the investigators entered stores in teams of two and attempted "straw purchases," in which the buyer completes the paperwork and passes the background check, but later hands over the weapon to someone else who is not allowed to own a firearm.[/b]
The "teams of two" kinds gives it away. If this really is the case, the shop owners should have reported it to the authorities as they are required. Apparently that wasn't done at those 15 shops.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I live in the tri-state area, personally I think if everyone in NYC owned a gun there would be no crime, I would like to see a gang member with a 9mm try to rob an old lady with a .357 magnum. She doesn't even have to fire it off just have him looking down the barrel, and believe me he would get a new hobby that wasn't stealing really really quickly. Guns aren't the problem in NYC, its the fact that there's not even cops arounds 99% of the time. I been living in this area from NYC for all my life and its a 15 min drive to NYC to visit family and friends and I'll stay a week or 2 at a time and never see a single cop. In the past 21 years of going there regulary I seen less than 10 NYC cops.... but I could be wrong heh :laugh:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been carrying for about a year now and am very pro gun. However, I don't want guns in the wrong hands.

I don't really think anyone can comment here without seeing the actual video. I have bought several guns and most of the time other people are with me as well. The shops I have bought at never questioned the people with me. What are they supposed to do? Run back ground checks on everyone who walks through the doors?

And it is legal to buy a gun and turn around and sell it to someone else, but only if you have no reason to believe they are not allowed to own a gun.

You might be surprised to learn that many gun shop owners don't know that much about guns. Just like many service managers at dealerships don't know much about cars.

I encourage anyone serious about getting into shooting or carrying to check out this link for more info
www.Packing.org

Oh and keeping a .32 for safety doesn't sound too great. Maybe a .380 but I would go for a .38 myself.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've been a gun fanatic for years. i've been carrying for four years. i've owned a glock-17 for about 10 years, and used to carry it. it's pretty hard to conceal a full framed pistol like the g-17, so i ended up leaving it at home most of the time. i picked up a keltec p-32 two years ago for everyday carry. it's small enough to go jogging with my in my running shorts. i assure you that a .32ACP has the ability to ruin someones day. a friend of mine gives me shit for carrying such a small calibre, as he has a .357. the thing is everytime we're out my .32 is on my body, and his .357 is at home. when it comes down to it, i carry a gun to someday save my life. i don't know when that day will be, so you've got to always be ready.

i've only ever had to pull my gun the one time, but thank god i had it and was trained on how to use it.

the largest pistols in the world do no good if you don't have it when you need it, and don't know how to properly employ it to eliminate the threat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing