Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably sounds really stupid... but anyone know where I can find some batteries for this beast? I purchased 3 different types recently.. ALL 3 are too large... this thing is super thin... I'm guessing some sorta watch shop... however being from oregon.. the watch shops I know of ... aren't down here...

The "local" dealership is completely retarded and would probably require a 5 day scheduled maintinence to provide the battery.. as it was a 3 day wait for a fukin oilchange.... So yeah... if anyone knows a quick and dirty way to find a replacement battery for this thing that would be awsome.... I seem to be having issues with it not detecting the remote for several seconds after entering the vehicle.. and i'm guessing its because the battery is getting low....

At least I hope thats the case... if my center console ignition sensor thing is goin bad.... well lets hope thats not the problem..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
This probably sounds really stupid... but anyone know where I can find some batteries for this beast? I purchased 3 different types recently.. ALL 3 are too large... this thing is super thin... I'm guessing some sorta watch shop... however being from oregon.. the watch shops I know of ... aren't down here...

The "local" dealership is completely retarded and would probably require a 5 day scheduled maintinence to provide the battery.. as it was a 3 day wait for a fukin oilchange.... So yeah... if anyone knows a quick and dirty way to find a replacement battery for this thing that would be awsome.... I seem to be having issues with it not detecting the remote for several seconds after entering the vehicle.. and i'm guessing its because the battery is getting low....

At least I hope thats the case... if my center console ignition sensor thing is goin bad.... well lets hope thats not the problem..[/b]
I would try the other FOB to see if it really is the battery or not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Read your manual. The car will tell you if your battery is low or dead. There is an indicator on the dash that says "Key" (lower left of the instruments), if it shows up yellow the battery is low, if red then you have some issue (IIRC). The manual should also tell you what battery you need, I haven't had to get one yet but you might try Radio Shack.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

At least I hope thats the case... if my center console ignition sensor thing is goin bad.... well lets hope thats not the problem..[/b]

That actually is not the battery. If it were the battery, then it either would work or not work. I've had this issue, and had to get a whole new system (under warranty). At times for me, i had to go as far as taking the physical key out of the FOB, and unlocking and then later starting the car. Talk to either the same retarted dealership, or another one in the area about this issue. Let them know that you know of other people w/ this issue and they had their key replaced or even the whole system.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummm... I did read the manual.. and I do know it tells you if the battery is dead or there is a problem... I don't think it has a "low" warning but i'll re-read it to make sure...

I'll go check it out right now and get back on here... I'm pretty sure everything is considering "working properly" as far as the car knows unless you get a green light.... gonna go check to make sure...

:EDIT:

Ok so it says... if any malfunction occurs in the system it illuminates continuously (the red KEY letters)...

It flashes when you attempt to start the vehicle when it detects a dead battery, not within rage, difficult for the system to detect... multiple keys are within range..

a GREEN KEY symbol is for when the vehicle detects the proper key and will oprate... If the battery is low.. the light flashes when the vehicle is turned from ON to ACC or OFF position for 30 seconds...

Bla Bla Bla... so i'll try the other key for a while... and try replacing the batteries... its only once in a while I have a problem getting it to start... However If with the other FOB it doesn't run perfectly all the time... I will have it replaced by mazda.. paid 32,000 for the car... several 1000 more than most.. so they can fix it...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I seem to recall reading something (either in the manual or on here) about the remote getting its brain scrambled and needing to be reprogrammed. If your other fob works then maybe that's what is needed. I'd say try one thing at a time if you want to troubleshoot it yourself. And you are right, it's under warranty so let the dealer fix it. I would imagine you should be able to find another Mazdaspeed dealer where you are.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think they are suggesting you try swapping batteries with the other remote to see if it's battery or your remote.

And the battery can be purchased at Target or Office Depot (at least I did that when I was buying this type of battery for my handheld computer).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think they are suggesting you try swapping batteries with the other remote to see if it's battery or your remote.

And the battery can be purchased at Target or Office Depot (at least I did that when I was buying this type of battery for my handheld computer).[/b]
Scientific method:

1. Simply try other FOB. If it works, you've eliminated anything on your car as a problem.

2. Swap fresh batteries from new FOB to old FOB. If it works, you've eliminated anything on the old FOB as a problem.

This pretty much just leaves the problem to be your old batteries.

·
Registered
329 Posts
the battery # is CR2025 and can be found at most drug stores for 2-3 bucks. I just bought 4 of them and put it with my owners manual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I replaced the battery myself, not hard at all. Its pretty tight, I think I used a small screwdriver to help it out of the lower corner. Be careful putting in the new one it likes to catch on one of the terminals, I wedged the opening a little wider to get the battery to slip in.
P.S. I moved the fuse terminal for the armrest 12v socket to a slot that is always on so I can charge my phone with the car off, the dash socket still goes off with the key. If theres interest I could write this up.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've purchased 2 different batteries and both were too thick.... i'm going to try a watch shop... if they don't have the correct batteries... don't know who will.... I can get the battery in and out fine... I just have to fine one thats the correct size...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've purchased 2 different batteries and both were too thick.... i'm going to try a watch shop... if they don't have the correct batteries... don't know who will.... I can get the battery in and out fine... I just have to fine one thats the correct size...[/b]
um, someone else already posted this, but there's a NUMBER on your battery, as well as in your manual. Obviously you can't just go around buying random batteries and hope that they fit...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
just for reference in case someone is searchin... battery number for my sport is CR1620

·
Registered
113 Posts
QUOTE (PerfectXtreme @ Jan 12 2007, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=895834
I've purchased 2 different batteries and both were too thick.... i'm going to try a watch shop... if they don't have the correct batteries... don't know who will.... I can get the battery in and out fine... I just have to fine one thats the correct size...[/b]
I just had the batteries replaced in both of mine....9 bucks total...got it done when I had other issues for them to take care of. The guy at the service counter says the batteries tend to go out at least once a year...if that's the case, I wonder if Costco sells them!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought a battery at CVS.

·
Registered
787 Posts
QUOTE (riparke @ Jan 12 2007, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=895759
I replaced the battery myself, not hard at all. Its pretty tight, I think I used a small screwdriver to help it out of the lower corner. Be careful putting in the new one it likes to catch on one of the terminals, I wedged the opening a little wider to get the battery to slip in.
P.S. I moved the fuse terminal for the armrest 12v socket to a slot that is always on so I can charge my phone with the car off, the dash socket still goes off with the key. If theres interest I could write this up.[/b]
Yes, would like to see how that's done. It sounds trivially simple but with modern cars it's not hard to screw something up. Did you use a spare non-switched power path already in the fuse/breaker box or some other method? This sounds like a generally good idea.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lol. I love old threads.... Still can't believe he bought wrong batteries.. how hard is it to take it out when you buy it?!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
QUOTE (808MS6 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610010
You guys realize that the posts you are quoting are almost 3 years old?[/b]
unless theres a record retention policy on this forum.. dont see why not..
if it still provides a reference and value to some folks.. whats the big deal..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts