Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let him go.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at the lights some goof smacked into the back of me (my 2 month old pacific blue M6)... it wasn't all that hard, but he left two dints in the rear fiberglass where the screws held his number plate in. Obviously he's in fault, but because the damage isn't really visible unless you're close up I'd feel guilty making him pay.

What should I do? :(
-- Rainchild

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reading Topic: Grr. Rear-ended.

Sorry to hear about that! Were you driving your 6 at the time?

I'm not a vendictive type of person, but I would have him pay for the repair of the car. Those dings are going to drive you crazy until you repair them, believe me. I've been in a similar situation where I let it go, and I never stopped obsessing over the little mark that only I could see until I finally traded that car in for my 6.

You said it isn't bad, so it shouldn't cost too much. Even if it does, he has insurance right?

Just my $.02

Joe

·
Registered
878 Posts

If you feel guilty about it, tell the person to pay for it out of pocket. Quick fix and no insurance involved. Most will jump at the chance to pay for it on the side.

·
Registered
78 Posts

he hit you, just think what he would do if you hit him...damage is damage...make him pay and get a neck brace because you know you got whip lash and you hit your head on the steering wheel...:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Grr. Rear-ended.'

make him pay man. Offer to take cash. this way his rates will not go up. Just see if he will take a shop esstimet and he will moer then likely give you the money.

·
Registered
791 Posts

What they said.

DEFINATELY don't try to ignore it.

If you're happy ignoring it, take the money and give it to me so I can fix my ding.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Have it repaired and let him pay for it. It's a brand new car and you never know what happened to the frame behind the bumper without looking at it. Something could be bend or twisted.

Do you have a witness?

·
Registered
526 Posts

He hit you - you've got nothing to feel guilty about what so ever. He should pay and that's that. It isn't bad now - but what happens if, for instance, those dents cause the paint to eventually crack or separate from the bodywork? If you don't get compensation now, it'll be your money fixing his mistake.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Happen to my wife in the Miata. She was stopped and a 17 yr old girl wacked the rear bumper. Left a light imprint of her front tag area on the bumper. The girl's mom wanted to handle it with out insurance.

Talked to several body shops. Most said to replace and paint the bumper cover, because filling sanding and getting it as smooth as new is time consuming. Cost was a little over $500 to replace cover and have it painted. Her mom paid it with no questions.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Get it fixed!

I haven't seen your vehicle, but what looks like merely cosmetic damage on a fiberglass bumper cover could be much more significant underneath. There are energy-dissipating devices such as telescoping shock absorbers and expanded polystyrene blocks beneath the bumper cover that may have been damaged and, if so, will not offer the same level of protection in a subsequent rear-end impact. Since the bumper cover itself is resilient, the damage is not obvious and some disassembly is required to check for it.

The long and short of it is, the fellow who tapped you is liable. Making your '6 whole again may be as simple as filling in the dents and repainting the bumper cover, or it could be more. You need to get the other driver's insurance information, or some assurance of his acceptance of liability, and then see what the scope of the damage is. The sooner you do all of that, the more likely things will be resolved to your satisfaction.

The trick is, if you report this to your insurance company, they will try to subrogate against the other driver's insurance, but until that happens you'll still have to pay your deductible. Alternatively, you can contact the other driver's insurance directly and have the damage repaired with no out-of-pocket expense to you. I would be wary of a driver who wants to settle with you directly without a bulletproof estimate of the cost of repairs.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
78 Posts

dont forget about your neck and your back..cant you feel the pain now!!!!! it has to be getting really painful i would go and see a doctor.....}:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Bleh. Got a quote for $416.90 to repair it (provided nothing else is wrong). The guy said his car is a company car and as such won't give me his home address. He's going overseas for 2 weeks, so I get to call him on the 17th to arrange for the company to fix it up.

Trust him? Guess I have to. Let's hope I'm not out of pocket. Least I have his company, driver's license and rego# to give the authorities if he tries to be silly about it.

I like the conviction of the vote though. You guys helped me face up to this guy (I woulda wimped out and not claimed without your support).

Guess I don't feel so bad knowing that it's a company which will pay for it, rather than someone's hard earned taxed dollars.
-- Rainchild

·
Registered
980 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Grr. Rear-ended.'

Make him pay and maybe you can even make some money of this. :p But seriously though you really should get this guy to pay for the damage. I know it's small but he hit your new baby...if it was an old car I would let this guy go. Plus, this guy would be begging to pay you if you bring up insurance. Good luck man.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

What garrick said!

It's fine to give him the opportunity to make him pay apart form the insurance company, but make sure you still have that info to back you up in the event he rescinds or won't pay in full.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Grr. Rear-ended.

Sounds like he wants his company to take care of it. He doesn't want to give you his home address thus take the opportunity to get your new car fixed on his companies insurance.
I would NOT wait for him to get back from his trip. He has indicated to you that you are dealing with his company insurance, thus, go directly to them. Don't wait for him to get back from wherever he is going. That is not your concern. Your concern is your car and who is going to fix it. That would be his company insurance.

Also, don't forget to take into consideration the time and effort which you will use on getting this repair done. You are entitled to be compensated for that time. If you have to take time off of work then you need to be compensated for that as well. Afterall, dealing with the repair of this problem is the direct result of his actions. His company insurance will understand that.
Don't wait! Call today! Sounds like an ad. :)

Tome

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Hey - where's my post?

Anyways, it was basically what Tome said - if the company is taking care of it, his trip is irrelevant. You have his info, that's good backup. Get all the information before he leaves (if he hasn't already).

·
Registered
837 Posts

I agree with everyone else but the other choice was lonely so I had to put a one on it. No poll should be perfect. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts