Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car does this noise when the car and outside temp is cold, its some sort of grinding sound that comes from the engine compartment (wondering if it from the trans) and that happens when turning while accelerating (like pulling out of a driveway or turning at a light)

I can't tell if it does it in the summer, because I recently bought the car, but I'm guessing not since as soon as the trans (or what ever is making the sound) gets to its real operating temp the sound goes away.

Also since I don't know the history of the car at its at 93 kms (57 mi) sound I change the transmission oil?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem as well. It was happening last winter and I'm pretty sure it was because I had a leaking CV boot.

It would happen to me as you said; in extreme temperatures right after I first start the car. I believe it only ever did it while I was turning and accelerating.

I'm currently living in BC so I haven't had any cold weather to test out if the sound will come back or not, but I'm fairly certain it was because of the boot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the same problem as well. It was happening last winter and I'm pretty sure it was because I had a leaking CV boot.

It would happen to me as you said; in extreme temperatures right after I first start the car. I believe it only ever did it while I was turning and accelerating.

I'm currently living in BC so I haven't had any cold weather to test out if the sound will come back or not, but I'm fairly certain it was because of the boot.

Hope this helps.
Ok, yeah I thought about it but it doesn't sound exactly like when I had to change one on my impala, but I'll check it out thanks!

EDIT: And when I think about it, it's the same symptoms

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check your power steering fluid. I was getting a grind from mine that I only really noticed in the cold. I've got a leak somewhere and the seals must have shrank that bit more and accellerated it with the cold weather. You can check by sitting somewhere parked with the engine running and turning the wheel all the way from one way to the other, if you hear the grind then it's a good candidated. That and just look at the resevoir obviously

1 - 4 of 4 Posts