Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put the clutch in, start the car and there is a grinding/whirring noise that goes away immediately.

if i turn off the car and do it again, it happens again. but if I start driving it, stop and start, noise is not there. notice that it only happens after the car has been sitting for a long time or over night. it has happened 4 times in one month, so i know i can't drop it off to the dealer to look at it because there is no real pattern...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
so i put the clutch in, start the car and there is a grinding/whirring noise that goes away immediately.

if i turn off the car and do it again, it happens again. but if I start driving it, stop and start, noise is not there. notice that it only happens after the car has been sitting for a long time or over night. it has happened 4 times in one month, so i know i can't drop it off to the dealer to look at it because there is no real pattern...
[/b]
sounds like this:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda6/docs/0040.pdf

a few members with MTX have reported this issue. build date is before august 15 2005.
mazda uses a new lubricant.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Is that a TSB? I called on Mazda Dealership and they said they can't do anything about it since it's caused by the clutch dust which is normal. Time to give another dealership a call...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well my car was built june 2005 so hopefully that's what it is. does this lube prevent clutch dust? is that what i am hearing?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's not that it prevents clutch dust. You'll always have clutch dust as the material is wearing off of the clutch. The new lubricant will probably not let the clutch dust adhere to it as easily as before, thus preventing this buildup.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Uhm, maybe i need to go there and let them know this to head off potential headaches down the road. Shit, and while im there its time to test drive some newer Mazdas...!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually the TSB states that they use a new bearing design...does anyone know for sure if this is the case or if it is just a different lubricant? Also to answer the original post as to why it only occurs before driving is because it is a cold start issue. Once the engine is warm the lube in the starter is probably also warm and the gear doesn't stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
silver036s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing