Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently purchased this vehicle and during the test drive didnt notice anything. A few days later I've been hearing a grinding/clicking noise when I accelerate with my steering wheel turned. It doesn't seem to favor any one side. I was thinking CV boot initially but its more then just a click.

If I'm turning through a light and the noise is present, I can take my foot of the gas and it stops even though the car is still moving. Once I put my foot back on the accelerator the noise re-appears. Keep in mind after I've completed my turn and i'm driving straight again its fine. Of course here in MN its -18 so I cant get under the car to look at much at the moment.

Appreciate any insight into this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks drizzoh. I'll look it over tomorrow. Were getting a warm burst to 30 degrees then back to 2 degrees. What did all that run you for parts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I've got the exact same problem, I can't figure out whats going on, and let me guess when the car fully warmed up (or not too cold out) the noise stops?

I'm totally NOT an expert on my Mazda (just bought it also) but I'd be surprised if it would be suspension/mount related, like Drizzoh mentioned, because it seems the noise will continue until you let go of the gas or stop turning. (although I've never tired it, the sound is too nasty)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I'm not alone. Friday night I didn't notice the sound at all and it was 25 to 30 degrees all day. The week prior was basically in the negatives. I'm going to check motor mounts and replace as needed. Were In For another round of arctic sub zeros so I'll check for the noise again tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A quick question @guyforks is the noise more like a crunching instead of grinding?

And I thought about the CV joint, but from my past experience a bad cv joint is more of a click/knock would that be true for the Mazda? (used to american vehicles, you know might be different)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just park with the wheels turned and peak at the outboard boot. If torn and grease slung they almost always click in tight corners.

So, if yours all have the boots intact and they grind, that seems odd. Try gently leaning on the brakes while turning and see if it changes tone or pitch.

Anyway the brake pads are shot? Is it both sides or just one side and both directions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it both sides or just one side and both directions?
Well I don't know for guyforks, but for me it seems to come from the middle...and happens in either turning direction.

And like I said before it's a grinding noise, not a clicking noise (that would be associated with a CV joint)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts