Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from OverBoost.Com on their first day coverage of the Tokyo Auto Salon this year:

'GReddy has been working on a turbo system for the Mazda Atenza, recently introduced in the US as the Mazda6. Since the Japanese market only gets the four-cylinder Atenza, GReddy's system won't fit the US-spec V6 models, but once this prototype model is finished, we'll expect a turbo-four to flat run away and hide from the already powerful six-cylinder models.'

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Greddy Turbo On The Way.....

No surprise here, glad to see that the aftermarket is really running with the Mazda6/Atenza. I look forward to seeing what a turbo can do for the 4 banger

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

fuk a 4I!!! naw j/k. i hope the V6 is available shortly after the 4I. soo they are giving us V6 peeps props for the "Already Powerfull V6". so they better get on the ball and produce a V6 model. i'm dying here!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts

Umm, I think the press release means that Greddy is developing the turbo kit for the 6-cyl, not the four. Be excited, guys :)

-Alt

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replying to Topic 'Greddy Turbo On The Way.....'

Originally posted by Altersys

Umm, I think the press release means that Greddy is developing the turbo kit for the 6-cyl, not the four.  Be excited, guys  :)

-Alt[/b]

Uhhhh no. They are developing one for the I4 not the V6. Got a pic of the engine they have the prototype on and it's the 16 valve.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by LBJay

I'll wait untill somebody does an SC for the V6.[/b]
Yeah I'll go with an SC as well. No spool up and lag that you'd get from turbo :D

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

A turbo on the I4 probably only gives about 50HP boost.. so you're about even with the V6 model now as far as HP goes... But slap an intake on the V6 and it would be some real competition between the 2.. But also remember that the V6 will get the 5 speed and not the 4 :) That extra gear helps out!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by Absolut

A turbo on the I4 probably only gives about 50HP boost.. so you're about even with the V6 model now as far as HP goes... But slap an intake on the V6 and it would be some real competition between the 2.. But also remember that the V6 will get the 5 speed and not the 4 :)  That extra gear helps out![/b]
Both 5 speed MT. :D

G

·

Is there any realistic shot of a V6 turbo at all? From the pictures it looks like there's a solid wall of engine under the hood of the 6s, so I'm not sure where you stuff a turbo. Fit a custom hood to it?

I'm addicted to turbo, so I'd rather have a 6i with turbo over a 6s even if the 6s can still be made to go faster. There's zoom-zoom, and then there's zoom-zoom-(lag)-VROOM. I'm disappointed though, because the 6s shares the same (though differently tuned) engine with the Jaguar X-Type, and I was hoping the Jag could leech a turbo kit from the Mazda street racer crowd. I'm probably the only person who was happy when Ford bought Mazda and Jaguar, since then my family connections at Ford could finally get me into some decent cars. Though, sadly, very few turbos (Volvos don't count).

·
Registered
577 Posts

Im very curious to see what/how Greddy does this as we intend to release our own turbo kit for the I4 engine. The internals of the Duratec engine are not suited for high boost, so I would think Greddy keeps the boost levels around 7psi. This should still be good for around a 40-50% power increase (so around 220-240hp or so if they do it properly). Even if when we make our turbo kit, we will also keep the boost down for stock engines. We will have forged internal rods and pistons available for the 2.3L engine (and the V6) for those people that want to run over 9psi safely.

For the V6 people.... we will be dynoing a 3.0L Duratec Ford Escape that is equipped with a set of headers very similar to the ones coming out for you guys. The Escape also has a high flow cone filter and a cat back exhaust installed. This will give us a VERY good idea of what the Mazda6 will gain from similar mods. I actually expect the Mazda6 to gain more power due to the variable valve timing.... I will let you guys know what the Escape does..... Estimates are for gains of 20-30hp to the wheels with these three mods and no tuning. Once we are able to hack the new computers, expect another 10-20 horsepower out of the engine when combined with Intake/Headers/Exhaust and 91+ octane fuel.

Happy MOtoring,

Nikolas

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by Kincaid

Originally posted by Altersys

Umm, I think the press release means that Greddy is developing the turbo kit for the 6-cyl, not the four.  Be excited, guys  :)

-Alt[/b]

Uhhhh no. They are developing one for the I4 not the V6. Got a pic of the engine they have the prototype on and it's the 16 valve.[/b][/quote]

Then I misread your last sentence in your first post.

-Alt

·
Registered
9 Posts

i have seen turbo-charged prelude engine in a civic hatch. there has to be a way to fit a turbo in a v6

·
Registered
168 Posts

There is a turbo setup for the duratec 2.5 contour...The kit takes the 200hp SVT up to around 330hp if I remember correctly...I'm sure if Mazda6 owners showed enough interest, they'd find a way to package it. It is produced by a company named Street Flight in Arizona.

And that's with only 8psi of boost on a 170hp 2.5 cougar.

G

·

Well I currently own a 6i. Does this mean I can add turbo to it at some stage?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Greddy Turbo On The Way.....

thanx for the pix xeno.
ya dis good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts