Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on this and other mazda forums there were several horror stories of clutches going out at 10, 15, 20k miles (and no warranty because they are "wear items")

In my experience, a clutch should go 150k...or maybe 100k is someone learned to drive on it.

When I hear of one going at 20k, I think either manufacturing defect or really really poor driver. But if someone can wear a clutch out on their own that fast, really they should (and would) be driving an automatic.

Then I read the sticky on clutch adjustment, and noticed the zero free play comment. When I adjusted mine, I also had zero free play. I wonder if this could contribute to the short clutch lives on our respective sixes.

I wonder if perhaps the clutch-pushrod-installation-guy on the assembly line is perhaps the new guy who fast-forwarded through the training video.

I'm happy with my newly-adjusted clutch.

Mark in MA
'06 6I 5spd, 15k troublefree miles in its first six months

·
Registered
154 Posts
The lack of freeplay is definately not a good thing, and will contribute to the clutch wearing out early for sure.... it's just that we don't know how much exactly, it contributes to the problem. It could be minor or, if the adjustment is waaaaay off, maybe it will kill the clutch in the next 100 miles.

As MG stated, a crappy pressure plate is the prevailing theory.

HOWEVER: adjusting to give a bit of freeplay certainly won't hurt. :p

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
when you do the adjustment you can see the piston going through the firewall and you can make sure that there isnt any pressure on it.

thats not the cause. the pedal would have had to been adjusted by a monkey or somthing to fuck up that bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
arch4life
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing