Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as all may know Dave(djquik1) and myself ar always pursuing new parts for our community. th mor the better.

Here we have a comparison of stock COP's vs Granatelli motorsports performance coils.

generally they catered to the stang and muscle crowd. but I figued why not.

www.granatellimotorsports.com

you can go there for more background info on their product.

anyway......... on to the coils (DYNO DONE ALL 4th GEAR except the last one which was in 3rd)and they had no fan as well! WTF!

anyway

baseline dyno showed max power @ 188.39whp and torque @ 183.46wtq

after swapping the coils they showed a solid gain across the entire powerband.

they sent a set of their pro series coils (60,000 volts)

Granatelli coil dyno showed max power @ 195.40whp and torque @ 188.83wtq

thats a solid gain of 7.01whp and 5.37wtq this equate to about 10bhp(i think, lol.....not a mathmetician) and about 8tq adding in the 10-15% drivetrain loss

so its official........the GM coil did do what they said they would and exactly what i felt.

ALSO..............if you look at the dyno graph......look how much smoother the entire run is with the GM coils.........so again, when i said it smoothed out......it really did.

i did 2 baseline runs and pulled the average........and 3 GM coil runs and did the same.

****aside from the significant power gains from these coils.....my biggest pro for these...was how much the powerband smoothed out....and if you look at the dyno you can see th car was still buildng HP until I hit the rev limit @ 6400-6500rpms thanks to the msp10 recall

video and pic up shortly! its uploading

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have never seen coils give gains like that before across a powerband. Usually you see more pull and more RPMs before the drop offs, but never a consistent gain like that... Weird. So the coil actually creates a stronger and more consistently burning combustion cycle I guess.

How much for those, any idea of MSRP/street price? I am trying to gauge a 5HP/TQ gain for the cost compared to other mods.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
QUOTE (dale_gribble @ Sep 12 2008, 11:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1433955
I have never seen coils give gains like that before across a powerband. Usually you see more pull and more RPMs before the drop offs, but never a consistent gain like that... Weird. So the coil actually creates a stronger and more consistently burning combustion cycle I guess.

How much for those, any idea of MSRP/street price? I am trying to gauge a 5HP/TQ gain for the cost compared to other mods.[/b]

The thing to keep in mind is that our stock coils are very weak and prone to failure. As far as prices based on the other thread where TGNY posted the cost for 8 coils, buying them in groups of 6 should be anywhere from like $175(stock replacement) to $375(the best coils Granatelli offers).

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes....these coils gained power across the entire powerband and even extended gaining power to the rev limit vs stock wheree the power dropped off before that.

now if I still had my 7000rpm or so reev limit...I would not b surprised if it climb till then.

the stock coils in our car can not handle high rpms and power...contant misfires would be present.

as for pricing im working on setting up a group buy thru the company......so just keep an eye out....depending on how many buyers we get we could get a pretty good price.

I will verify GB pricing with GM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts