Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the inside of my gas tank lid it says recomend premium unleaded gas.
what grade does all you usa people use? is there good reason for using only premuim gas?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: GRADE OF GAS USA M6 OWNERS USE

Manual says to use 87. This has been discussed a number of times, so if you do a search you'll find a lot of info.

The long and short - there is no advantage to using higher octane fuels, unless you're trying to get rid of knock (pre-detonation). Higher octanes are actually harder to ignite - which lessens knock. The lower the octane, the more BTU's the gas will produce - but not enough to notice.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Really? The gas cap cover says, "premium only"?

Is this the i4 or V6?

Tome

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'GRADE OF GAS USA M6 OWNERS USE'

Originally posted by M-006

Really?  The gas cap cover says, "premium only"?

Is this the i4 or V6?

Tome[/b]
I have a 5 speed manual 6 cylinder/ loaded mazda 6.
i have the chrome gas door and inside on the gas tank door is the
little stuck on tag saying premium recomended.
i will be posting some pictures soon on the "pictures" topics.

Barb

·
Registered
43 Posts

Originally posted by frinkler

Is this the i4 or V6?

Tome[/b]

Barb[/b][/quote]

I also have a 6S M/T and it has the tag inside the gas cap cover saying premium recommended.

I asked my dealer about the discrepancy between the owner's manual and the gas cap. They called their Mazda tech support line and were told premium unleaded is the gas to use.

If you search around Mazda's USA web site, you can find the following regarding fuel recommendation for the Mazda6:

Specs tab in the Mazda6 portion of the web site says:
Recommended Fuel: REGULAR UNLEADED
Minimum Fuel Requirement: 87 OCTANE RATING

The Vehicle FAQ for the Mazda6 on the web site has:
What type of fuel is required?
87 octane and higher is required for both the MAZDA6 s and MAZDA6 i.

When I get a chance, I'm going to call Mazda and see if I can get another recommendation.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

Manual says to use 87...[/b]
'Nuff said (and well said). If the Owner's Manual is incorrect, expect a NHTSA recall in the near future. There have been recalls over less-significant errors in manuals...

Onyx6s, do you have one of the optional fuel filler lids? I wonder if this is an error from a particular supplier.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Interesting. I have a 6s. The inside of my fuel cap and door doesn't say anything. I looked at my manual and it said my car will perform best with 87 and above. Maybe, your car's fuel lid was destined to be on a car that requires premium....like the turbocharged MPS..hehe.

I noticed on the inside of my gas tank lid it says recomend premium unleaded gas.
what grade does all you usa people use? is there good reason for using only premuim gas?[/b]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by Onyx6s

Is this the i4 or V6?

Tome[/b]

Barb[/b][/quote]

I also have a 6S M/T and it has the tag inside the gas cap cover saying premium recommended.

I asked my dealer about the discrepancy between the owner's manual and the gas cap. They called their Mazda tech support line and were told premium unleaded is the gas to use.

If you search around Mazda's USA web site, you can find the following regarding fuel recommendation for the Mazda6:

Specs tab in the Mazda6 portion of the web site says:
Recommended Fuel: REGULAR UNLEADED
Minimum Fuel Requirement: 87 OCTANE RATING

The Vehicle FAQ for the Mazda6 on the web site has:
What type of fuel is required?
87 octane and higher is required for both the MAZDA6 s and MAZDA6 i.

When I get a chance, I'm going to call Mazda and see if I can get another recommendation.[/b][/quote]

and i am going to call my dealler meanwhile.
its not like we have some big time high performance engine or something.
i just dont like spending the xtra change if i dont have to! but if it is going to make my engine run better then by all means!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i don't think higher octane makes much of a difference.

i currently used regular plus 89 octane and my buddy that werks at chevron say it's a mixed of regular and supreme something like that.....

and i heard on the news that ppl buy high octane gas for their cars cause they think it help the gas mileage, etc. but in fact it's untrue.

i would only think u might get a lil bit performance using high octane gas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yea, the performance issue is what my husband told me. he also said something like it will help keep the fuel injectors cleaner.
hmmm

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

my butt dyno said when I used premium I felt like I lost power (I have the V6). That was when the engine was really new less than 1,500 miles. All the magazine reviews said that they used regular gas (87 octane). That being sai, I wonder if the I-4 could benefit from premium as its the engine the rest of the world gets and its possible that the ECU in the U.S. i-4 might automatically tune for the higher octane, as I believe that Europe and Asia typically use a high octane gas. Is that possible?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Originally posted by garrick

Originally posted by Ruefus

Manual says to use 87...[/b]
'Nuff said (and well said). If the Owner's Manual is incorrect, expect a NHTSA recall in the near future. There have been recalls over less-significant errors in manuals...

Onyx6s, do you have one of the optional fuel filler lids? I wonder if this is an error from a particular supplier.[/b][/quote]

I do have the optional aluminum fuel door so perhaps these were incorrectly labeled. More interesting is Mazda telling my dealer unleaded premium is the recommended fuel.

·
Registered
315 Posts

High octane fuel is only beneficial to engines designed to run it.
If you engine is designed to run it's best on lower 87 octane then running mid-grade 89 is a waste of money as well as running high octane.

However, there needs to be a definitive from Mazda. Sure, the engine may have the tuning ability to use 87 and run fine on it, thus helping promote the 6 as being cheaper to operate. But, if the ECU has been tuned to up the performance when using higher octane fuel by adjusting a/f mixtures, timing, etc... then it would be nice if Mazda explained that or cleared it up.

Tome

·
Registered
269 Posts

Personally I'd rather they got an extra 10 or 20 hp out of the engine by upping the compression, advancing the timing, and requiring Premium grade fuel. My Ninja sportbike requires Premium and so does my wifes Jetta so it'd be no skin off my nose.

Jon

·
Registered
230 Posts

Given the high price of gasoline in North America these days, I'm glad that the 6 wiill run fine on regular unleaded. It's too expensive for premium fuel - it's 10 cents per litre more for 91 octane than it is for 87 octane here in Calgary. And if you up the compression, you reduce fuel economy even more - just look at the Toyota Matrix as an example. Both the base engine (130hp - compression ratio 10.0:1, uses regular fuel) and the high powered engine (180hp - compression ratio 11.5:1, uses premium fuel) have the same displacement - 1.8 litres, but the fuel economy on the high powered engine is about 1.2 litres/100km worse on average than the base engine, and using premium fuel to boot. The cost of premium fuel adds up really quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts