Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 6, the rear grab handles have the standard hooks on each side for holding dry cleaning etc.

The odd thing is that on the left - the hook is towards the front of the car, and on the right it's towards the rear. It seems Mazda is using the same part for both right and left.

I noticed only because I travel a lot and string a luggage bar between the two hooks to carry clothes. It IS a nit-pick, but with the forward mounted hook, the driver's seat intrudes on the space clothes occupy, which is the side I use most. It gets annoying. This seems VERY odd as the 6 is the only car I've ever seen this on.

I'd appreciate it if everyone would check to see your cars are the same. I'd like to hear from Europeans as well as North American owners to see if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Grab handle hanger hooks

The N.A. versions I know for sure have those hooks. But whether they use the same parts for the left and right side....I dont know.

·
Registered
212 Posts

They are like Ruefus says on mine - one faces rear and one front. Same part on both sides.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Grab handle hanger hooks'

That is so odd on a 25,000 dollar car.

I simply cannot figure why they would do that. A second tool to mold a left handed one wouldn't cost squat in the grand scheme of things. I used to work in rubber and plastics. The tool wouldn't cost diddly. Very odd.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Or look at it from the other side?

Constructive, AJ.

And Reufus: the tool would cost diddly. A plastic mold tool could cost thousands of dollars.

Mazda is a small brand. You would have to expect them to cut a few corners others aren't. Hopefully, when sales increase they can stop doing that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er
Constructive, AJ.[/b]
Thank you. I try.

Mazda is a small brand. You would have to expect them to cut a few corners others aren't. Hopefully, when sales increase they can stop doing that.[/b]
Yeah - maybe so. But it seems like they're cutting a lot of corners over here...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The tool WOULD cost thousands of dollars. I've quoted them before.
Compared to a dash molding tool or a fascia molding tool, this tiny little piece would barely register a blip in the budget. Especially if bought in conjunction with other tools.

While a minor piece, if this was cost cutting it's most pathetic and idiotic thing I've ever seen. And I love this car.

Any place the consumer interfaces with the car, however minor should not draw attention to itself. The part itself would cost pennies to produce. I've quoted items similar to them before as well.

My '99 Dodge Stratus cost a full $10,000 less than my 6 five years ago, and had properly aligned pieces. This makes no sense what so ever. There are a myriad number of other places they could have cut corners and not risked alerting the owners to it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

A few thousand dollars for a mold may not seem much. But say they cut corners on fifty details total. Thay could mean say 150.000 dollars.

If they expect to sell 150.000 cars that would sum up to a total of one dollar a car. Not much.

But if sales didn't go the way expected, all unnecessary costs would be a loss. Remember, Mazda is a small car company.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Mazda is a small brand. You would have to expect them to cut a few corners others aren't. Hopefully, when sales increase they can stop doing that.[/b]
Yeah - maybe so. But it seems like they're cutting a lot of corners over here...[/b][/quote]Don't they need tools to cut corners. :p Why don't they save that money and use it towards a mold. :p

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i took a lot at my car....and the hooks aren't pointed left or right on each side they are both pointed down.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

A few thousand dollars for a mold may not seem much. But say they cut corners on fifty details total. Thay could mean say 150.000 dollars.[/b]
I understand where you're coming from and what you're getting at. However, Mazda spent $138 million on the car's initial marketing. That might be in the U.S. only, although I'm not sure.

In any case, that's over nine-hundred times the amount we're talking about. That's just for making us aware that the car exists. That doesn't discuss any of the other costs associated, which would make that $138 million seem cheap.

As for Mazda being a 'small' company. Small for an auto company, but they're still a fifteen billion dollar organization and rank #296 on Fortune's Global 500. That isn't a small organization by anyone's definition.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Ichi

i took a lot at my car....and the hooks aren't pointed left or right on each side they are both pointed down.[/b]
If they were pointed down, wouldn't your clothes fall right off the hook?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

A few thousand dollars for a mold may not seem much. But say they cut corners on fifty details total. Thay could mean say 150.000 dollars.[/b]
I understand where you're coming from and what you're getting at. However, Mazda spent $138 million on the car's initial marketing. That might be in the U.S. only, although I'm not sure.

In any case, that's over nine-hundred times the amount we're talking about. That's just for making us aware that the car exists. That doesn't discuss any of the other costs associated, which would make that $138 million seem cheap.

As for Mazda being a 'small' company. Small for an auto company, but they're still a fifteen billion dollar organization and rank #296 on Fortune's Global 500. That isn't a small organization by anyone's definition.[/b][/quote]

Well, it's true they spend a lot of money on marketing, as well as in the development. But there are budgets, and there's a limit to anything. They probably prioritized giving the car good handling in front of some other fancy details. I agree though that cutting corners where you can see it is bad in the long run.

Mazda is a big company, but a small car maker. And they just recently returned to profitability. After a long time down in the red numbers.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I did a search on "hanger hook" and this is the only thread I came up with.

These hooks are useless as my dry cleaning constantly falls off of them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Rohebo

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

the reason they are designed like that is the driver side is for skiny poeple clothes, that is clothes that will not be very wide and read the drivers seat, the passanger side is for fat clothes, clothes that will reach both seats. It is annoying having to take the clothes to the other side, but just think, its another reason to lose weight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts