Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What country has the GPS navigation system available on your Mazda 6? Is it available right now or is Mazda saying it will be available soon.

I know the first batch of Mazda 6 in North America does not have the GPS. However, I would like to know if anyone knows whether Mazda North America will offer it in future release?

The other question is whether it be available as an option after purchase or if it can be bought and installed personally?

Wonder how difficult it be to do the installation.

Hiep

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'GPS Navigation system'

I know Japan, UK and Sweden have it, and I'm sure a few other do as well. You're right about North America not getting GPS in the first release. As far as the future prospect for GPS.. this post indicates that we definitely will get it.

Alan

·
Registered
167 Posts

In Germany, Navi is available for the Exclusive and Top versions (for € 2300).

On a side note, the dealer told me it is technically possible to watch DVDs on this system (it has a 16:9 panel); and added that the software simply does not have this feature in Germany.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Then what is the point in having a DVD player in it???:sarc

PS. Jps - welecome!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Cause a DVD can hold more map information than a CD can.

Oh.. and welcome Peter :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes ofcourse. But what I mean is that it's so stupid to put all you need in there to be able to view films and not do the connections!

It could be made impossible to view films during drive. Just as it's impossible to manouver the NAV...:sarc

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I agree.

Ohh do I hope there's a relatively easy way to disable that Nav lockout though. :sarc

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I don't think you should be able to watch DVD-movies when driving, at least not in the front seats. Totally dangerous! With a cruise-control and a DVD-movie, who would need to look at the road then?! Silly idéas.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yes I agree that watching DVDs is dangerous while driving...my point didn't get across right. What I was trying to say is that I don't agree with not being able to mess with the Navigation settings while driving. I mean what if you have a passenger with you that can modify the directions? It would be silly to have to pull over on the highway and stop so they could change them.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Agree on the nav... It would be perfect if the "co-driver" could at least mess around with the remote. At it's present state I can't really see any use for the remote...

But I'm sure it, together with the seat belt warning, will help the 6 to get a EuroNCAP top rating, witch is not a bad thing. That and a couple of "Car of the year"-awards, then I can assure my parents that I made them by the right car :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

If the experience itself isn't enough and you have to "persuade" them...then I'm starting to get worried here...:sarc

·
Registered
167 Posts

Thank you guys for the warm welcome :)

I would imagine that someone will make some kind of a mod chip for the system to enable the DVD video feature.

On the other hand, you could get the 6 without Nav and buy a third party system that has this feature for probably around the same price ;)

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Definitely. But then you won't get that cool dashmounted screen that pops up...

Besides, those aftermarket systems are in a severe need of a DIN-slot and there simply is none in this car...

In the early beginnings I read somewhere that there was a center console replacement cover that did allow for standard DIN stereo equipment instead of the slot-in CD thingie that is there now.

Can't tell for sure if this was only desinformation, but I've heard nothing of that since.

I guess you could mount a DIN unit under the dash or in the glove compartment. But...it isn't very funny.

Alpine and Clarion both have very nice systems that both allow for DVD movies. Clarion has a system that can have the screen in the roof. It allows for extra screens also if you wish for rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I intend to spend most of the time in this sweet car actually *driving* it. :) Then again, I'm stuck in traffic a lot.. hmmm.. :)

One of the images in another post of a Japanese model shows a Japanese lady on the screen. Either that's a fake or they have the DVD video or even a TV feature.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Now that you mention it, yes I've seen that also. Perhaps it's just a welcome-screen on the NAV-system?

·
Registered
81 Posts

does anyone know
could we add the nav after getting the car ???
or does it have to have it in the car when manufactured??
i dont want aftermarkets though:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

As far as we know, there is no possibility to put it in later, it has to be purchased factory mounted with the car. Otherwise, you have to go for aftermarket stuff...

·
Registered
81 Posts

oh ok thanks
but will aftermarkets be fitted in the same
spot as the factory one??
and is there any aftermarkets nav for rhe mazda 6???

·
Registered
167 Posts

I've seen pictures of an aftermarket nav where at least the display is fitted in the same spot as the original one. Will post them tonight if I can still find them ;)

Peter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts