Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting distracted. OH OH OH, I should get this, OH I should get one of these.

Gotta stay focused. Need to fix some ore items on my 6. I just did rear brakes/rotors, and I know the fronts will need to be done next month. Need to get that knee panel tray fixed, find a fuse box cover by the foot rest. Need to take some compound and get some of the scratches out.

Beyond that:
Need to get rims from Brasclef
Need to do something about the stereo
Fog Lights
New antenna
Figure out what I am going to do about no FOBs
Maybe a trunk lip spoiler

I have come to the conclusion that I do not think I will be able to afford upgrading to the sport package for the bumpers and skirts. And actually, I am starting to kind of like the look of the non-sport. I think it would look ridiculous with a sport spoiler though, so I was thinking of something more subtle like a lip spoiler.

One thought, specifically for us NE'ers. I have never lowered a car before. On the 6's, does it cause more problems? Does the ride become unbearable?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
One thought, specifically for us NE'ers. I have never lowered a car before. On the 6's, does it cause more problems? Does the ride become unbearable?
Depends on how low you go and if you replace shocks. If you only lower an inch or so, you likely won't notice much for accelerated wear, if at all. Any more than that and you start to introduce more wear on the stock shocks and CV joints, though how quickly they wear out depends on a lot of variables, including driving style. Replacing just springs, or springs with OEM spec gas shocks (such as the KYBs) are definitely not unbearable in my opinion. In fact, I want to go stiffer after installing Eibach Pro spring kit on stock shocks. Ride quality will also depend on your wheel&tire specs; lower profile tires will give a harsher ride.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My car is lowered. KYB shocks are not smooth in my opinion.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on replacing the rims, but staying 17" and stock size tires. I really like the ride quality now, and would hate to ruin it. But I also think it would look much better lowered an inch. However, if that is too difficult or causes too many other issues or ruins ride quality, I would just rather not.

On my first Saturn, I upgraded to 17" rims with of course lower profile tires, I didnt lower it, but did put on KYBs all around. The car handled quite nice, but the ride quality was shit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Regarding your stereo issue, I'm guessing you may already know, but Crutchfield is a great site to pick up car audio equipment. A nice head unit and some middle of the road aftermarket speakers will make a HUGE improvement. If you're on a budget, try checking out Craigslist, you never know what you'll find.

If you need help installing audio stuff I'd be happy to help. I redid the sound in my old car so I have some experience, but I won't claim to be an expert :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
So i have a large project that required a metrakit. So I purchased all my speakers and my metra. Headunit and Polk 6x9 and ppolk front component. 5 channel amp( dont need dedicated sub amp dont want trunk rattle) sub and box will be ordered once amp speakers HU installed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
For fogs what year car do you have? If its 06-08 you have 2 options. 1 buy a buildkit for stock fogs from move over. If you want to go custom buy parts from ebay and make your own kit. I can help with that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding your stereo issue, I'm guessing you may already know, but Crutchfield is a great site to pick up car audio equipment. A nice head unit and some middle of the road aftermarket speakers will make a HUGE improvement. If you're on a budget, try checking out Craigslist, you never know what you'll find.

If you need help installing audio stuff I'd be happy to help. I redid the sound in my old car so I have some experience, but I won't claim to be an expert :)
I have been taking a look on ebay and Craiglist, but the downside to that is I would have to buy the Metrakit outright, which is anywhere from $120 to $200. ANd if I buy through Crutchfield, I would be getting something new and they give 50% off the Metrakit I believe.

Every car I have owned I have put a stereo in and replaced all the speakers LOL. My 98 Jeep had the stock Infinity system, kind of like the Bose in Mazda, factory amp and all. I gutted the whole thing and put in an Alpine HU (the last decent 1.5 DIN they made) and an amp. Plus have a 10" Kicker Comp VR in the trunk.

Curious question though, how is the trunk rattle on these? The trunk feels pretty solid compared to other vehicles I have owned. I had to put that heavy ass sound deadening stuff on my Saturn I had. Also, what about the alt? Can it handle an extra amp without causing load issues? I am not looking for a ton of bass, just enough to add some dynamic to the sound. I have an old Basslink I I was thinking of fixing and putting in. Or putting it back in my Jeep and using the 10" Kicker in the Mazda. Believe it or not, the Basslink actually sounded great. Perfect for a hatchback/SUV. Not sure how it would sound in the trunk. Maybe if I removed the Bose sub and left it open, might sound ok.

An in the 05's, I understand that it is 5 3/4 speakers in the rear door? How accurate is that? No way to sneak some 6.5's in there? I ask because I have an extra set of Infinity coaxial speakers brand new, and I was hoping to use them. I know they could fit in the front doors, but I wanted to get some components for up front.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For fogs what year car do you have? If its 06-08 you have 2 options. 1 buy a buildkit for stock fogs from move over. If you want to go custom buy parts from ebay and make your own kit. I can help with that.
05 sir! Pretty certain from what I have read I can just get a kit on eBay. I have seen some that have a replacement light switch. Some that come with some form of push button one.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You can use an ebay kit, for warned pay extra for quality. They tend to be thin glass and break easily. I paid for some nice 3inch projectors for my 06 and hand built my kit, with some help. What I would do is measure out the space, I had to cut some extra plastic off the back to get it to clear windshield washer reservoir. If you check out my sig pic passenger side didnt fit right. Fits a ton better now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can use an ebay kit, for warned pay extra for quality. They tend to be thin glass and break easily. I paid for some nice 3inch projectors for my 06 and hand built my kit, with some help. What I would do is measure out the space, I had to cut some extra plastic off the back to get it to clear windshield washer reservoir. If you check out my sig pic passenger side didnt fit right. Fits a ton better now.
Hmmmm... New England is no good for thin glass. Although I paid for Hella's on my Jeep, and one of those still cracked :-(

The idea of making my own kit intrigues me though. It LOOKs like, when I last checked, the plugs for fog lights are there. Is it just a matter of wiring up to those plugs and putting in a proper switch? Did you change your light switch?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
So i had 1 plug on my drivers side, my passenger needed a wire. Blake is trying to retrofit in some projectors as well. @Blake do you know what an 05 would need? Ill get marcus to help out as well. They are all 1gens with fogs or planning fogs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
for the 05's you will have to clear now more than 5" from mount hid bulb tip to clear this. The left side should fit without any issues.

It is the right side that has an issue trying to clear the water reservoir. I bought 3 sets from ebay and all were almost a fit but none of them had space for the hid's steam to fit.

I ended up going with the stock lenses that came with the aftermarket fogs and just threw the HID's in them. Not a bad look.

These did not fit. And they were the smallest enclosed projects i could find. The other set i bought actually was for a retrofit kit but allowed water to enter through the vents.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uhg, but he is taking me to the cleaners a little bit. No matter, not horrible prices. And he is the only person in Maine I have found with the pieces, let alone eBay/Craigslist.

Then it is just those rims, then front brakes, the antenna, and then I need to get a decent body shop at a reasonable price to fix the rocker panels, looks like someone jumped a curb and caved it in LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts