Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my old sup quit the company a few months ago and bought a muffler shop in town. i dropped by yesterday to check in on him and because he's worked on a couple of my coworkers cars and i was curious as to what he could do for my car. first of all my i got a 2003 mtx 6i so i wasn't planning on cutting up my exhaust because i didn't think there would be much gain with out a whole catback system but none the less i shooted the shit with him on options. in the end he hooked me up phat with two straight pipes and tips for about a buck fifty. he owns the shop and he owed me a few so he pritty much gave me the setup for about cost. i took some pics in the process. the turn out was ok. im still not too sure though. first and foremost i told him. okay i don't want my car to sound like some tin can rice rocket with a high pitched whine, im looking for a deep gurgle or growl. he was like okay. i got what i wanted but way louder. now im like damn. this is gonna attract too much attention. i wanted to kinda keep a low profile but you can hear my ass coming down the block. i can't complain for the price i got it though im planing on doing something different later on but still not sure what. anywho i wanted to share some pics with ya guys.btw the tips are from silverline. i'll post video when i get a chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looks Pimp!

I got straight pipes myself and my friend got them on his 4 banger and the ysound good but I love those tips u got on there! Looks like a very nice set up, only thing I don't like is the resonance at ~2k rpms I get which is why I'm gettin Magnaflow's.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Looks good, but why the ATX forum?

Thread moved...
[/b]
Lol, ok... so why the V6 forum? He has a 6i. Better make another move :)

Post sounds. Im curious to hear the "deep gurgle" on a 4 banger. I though this was unachievable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
im no exhaust guru so hence the question.... but would resonated tips help in "volume" loudness of this set up? I've been thinking about going this route on 6s. I want a little more noise but nothing obnoxious or too much drone/resonance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rox, i too wasn't sure the deep gurgle sound could come from a four banger but but it can. when my car cranks on the gurgle is pleasurable and deep, not too loud. when in drive it sounds pitty good in the low rpms in all four gears but as i accelerate from gear to gear it goes from a nice low gurgle to a loud ass roar. not hot rod roar but maxing out kinda crying roar. and im looking around and thinking man my car sounds like it's hauling ass but im only going like 20 phr. don't get me wrong i love the look of the tips and the sound of them when i cruising trough the parking lot but when im hitting the free way or going up a hill (especially with a full load) it's way too much noise. i promise to post some video clips this weekend for you guys to judge. bare in mind that i wasn’t trying to "rice" out my ride just improve on some character and maybe a little power. Btw im taking my car back in next week. I gonna have it toned down . Anyone have suggestions let me know. thanks

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah, my cousin with a ford focus sent me a clip of it and i was suprised at how good it sounded. So, i do believe they can sound nice, its just that there must be a lot of fart cans around these parts that convinced me otherwise. :):)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
RoX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing