Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been a long time lurker on this forum but this is my first post. I have a 2005 blazing copper 6s grand touring which I have only had for 4 months. I was stopped at a red light and somebody smashed into me from behind. I got out to check out the damage and it happens to be a lapis blue 6 that hit me. I guess the girl that hit me was bending down to reach her purse and she wasn't paying attention. Somehow I stayed pretty calm and she apologized and called the police. We were both ok, but my rear bumper is smashed in pretty good. There doesn't appear to be any other body damage, though other than one of the chrome exaust tips is a little bent up. Her car was in much worse shape, her front bumper was pretty much destroyed along with her grill, and I think her hood may have been bent as well. The police came and made a report. I also called my insurance company who is supposed to call me back tomorrow. This is the first accident I've even been involved in, so I'm not sure what to do next. Is there anything I need to look out for when looking for a body shop to repair this? I just want to make sure it's fixed right, since I like to keep my 6 looking good. Also, her insurance should cover the repairs since she was at fault, correct? Thanks.[attachmentid=15712] [attachmentid=15713]

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow, what are the chances. Im rarely close enuf to another 6 to even get a good look at it while im driving. Never mind getting hit by one. Maybe they were trying to mate.
And yes her insurance should be covering the damage.
My 6 is going into the shop early next month, mine got walked on. So i feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How it will work will depend on who she has for insurance. But try to get a independant estimate from a body shop. Most will do this for free cuz they want that check you get to fix the car. And if the shop screws something up do not accept it, make them redo it. For some reason tons of peps here post about how body shops screw them over. If you have time you might even get 2 quotes on the job.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Was that chick in the Lapis Blue 6 hot?? I woulda got her number...LOL

Hoepfully you have a good insurance company because MOST of the good ones go through good body shops where you can actually feel somewhat okay about your car being fixed....but, just remember you car will never be the same now, sux bigtime dude but good thing it wasnt anything serious! Good thing your okay, and hope all works out for you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was that chick in the Lapis Blue 6 hot?? I woulda got her number...LOL

Hoepfully you have a good insurance company because MOST of the good ones go through good body shops where you can actually feel somewhat okay about your car being fixed....
[/b]
Lol, I'm married and my wife was with me at the time. She was a lot more upset about it than I was at the time. Anyways, I have Allstate and the other girl had Nationwide. As far as finding a body shop, I belive my local Mazda dealer has one. Are dealers usually better at repairing things like this, or should I stay away? I actually have an appointment to take it in on wednesday to get my cd player replaced for the second time, so I may try to get an estimate when I go in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is simple. Nationwide is a great company. I also have Nationwide. Since you contacted your insurance, they should be giving you a call to get a report from you. They will then be in contact with her insurance company about the accident. You will have to go to an Allstate approved estimator to have an estimate done for the damages on your car. Your company will pay out for the damages, but you obviously must cover your deductible.

What I did instead of go after my insurance to pay for the damages, was I waited for the police report to go through to both insurance companies, then I waited for the ladies insurance company to take liability for the accident. They then told me where I had to go and get another estimate done that was approved with their company. They do the estimate, and then you can choose wherever you want your car to be fixed. You show the place you want your car to be fixed at BOTH of your estimates, and they will work it out. HER insurance company should also offer you a rental for a certain amount of $ per day. If they don't, tell them you require it for transportation.

Insurance companies will go by the police report unless something is fishy. But they HIGHLY recommend you wait to get things fixed until AFTER the person that caused that accident's insurance company takes blame for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I talked to the nationwide insurance adjuster today. They told me that I can go to any shop I want but they did have a list of some preferred ones. I think I'm going to go with one of the shops on their list, because I don't really know of anything better and the shop manager is one of my coworker's nephew. It is actually run by a ford dealer, but I don't think that should matter. However, what I am concerned with is apparently nationwide's policy is to use aftermarket or used parts whenever possible. I was very firm with the adjuster and told her that I only wanted genuine mazda parts, and all she said is that aftermarket parts are as good as OEM and are backed by nationwide with a lifetime guarantee. However, for some reason this bothers me. Does an aftermarket sports style bumper even exist? Should I insist on genuine mazda parts? Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dude.. you gotta request genuine parts. I am not positive but I am pretty sure if you request it they have to comply, after all it was original parts that were damaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely did request them and they told me their policy was to use aftermarket whenever possible. It sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I'm not even sure if an aftermarket (OEM-sport-style) even exists. I tried searching for one and I couldn't find anything. I'm hoping this is the case.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
they definitely wont get the paint perfectly right - at least they didnt with mine. look around and ask about the best body shop - then go to them. the one my dealer recommended was competent but just barely. im still pissed about it.

take the time and find a cool aftermarket bumper that you like and put the money towards that instead. turn an accident into an improvement. and be sure to thoroughly check the work once its done.

search this forum for aftermarket body kits - im sure u can find some.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow, what are the chances. Im rarely close enuf to another 6 to even get a good look at it while im driving.
[/b]
Remember that Toledo's just a stone's throw from Flat Rock, where the North American '6 is made. Even my dear old Dad in Toledo has a '6. When I'm visiting there, it seems like the place is crawling with them.

It would seem your taste in cars is somewhat, er, sophisticated for Red Deer? (Sorry, couldn't resist... I used to work near Rocky Mountain House.) :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She just wanted a cf hood.
[/b]
LOL. Maybe, who knows. I'll have to keep my eye open for lapis blue 6's with cf hoods.

Remember that Toledo's just a stone's throw from Flat Rock, where the North American '6 is made. Even my dear old Dad in Toledo has a '6. When I'm visiting there, it seems like the place is crawling with them.
[/b]
Actually, now that you mention it, I do see them pretty often. I guess I never really though too much about it. But, what are the odds of getting hit by one, same model year and all? It definitely beats getting hit by an SUV, though.

Anyways, I got an estimate today. It's going to cost $1072 to repair. That includes the bumper cover, exaust tip and there is some minor metal damage on the bottom part of the trunk near the bumper. Apparently an aftermarket sport bumper doesn't exist, which is good because I really didn't want one. However, they are going to be using a refurbished bumper cover, which I think will be ok. I could have gotten a brand new bumper cover, but it was going to cost me an extra $80, which I figured would be better spent on upgrades. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
It would seem your taste in cars is somewhat, er, sophisticated for Red Deer? (Sorry, couldn't resist... I used to work near Rocky Mountain House.) :)
[/quote]
I know what you mean, the majority of the cars around here are cavs, sunfires, and civics. Everybody else drives a truck. I dont like playing follow the leader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts