Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't mean to speed but the thing is that I just got off the highway and the cop was already shooting me with a laser gun from hundred meters away. Usually, there should be a light at the highway exit but since Main Street has only one direction so most people would just let go of the gas until the first light instead of slowing down to the speed limit.

So I just noticed him before the first taffic light. The cop is a young man, probably the nicest cop I have ever met. He first gave a compliment to my car.

Cop: "Nice car, I like it!"
Me: "Thank you."

Cop: "Can you pull down the window, please?"
Me: "Sure."

Cop: "Okay, can I see your driver lisence and the ownership please? Is it your car by the way?"
Me: "Yea, I'm the owner of this car." (maybe I'm too young to own a car like this...)

Cop: "How's your driving record?"
Me: "I have a clean record, Sir." (lying...)

Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "I have no idea, Sir."

He showed me the laser gun reading, which is 90km/h.
Me: "Ahh...you know what, I just got off the 403."

Cop: "That's okay, I'll lower the speed to 75km/h and I'll also lower the fine from $200 to $50, at the mean time, no deri so that you could keep your clean driving record."

Me: "Thank you!"

He didn't even know it's my birthday when he told me about the penalty. I just thought he's a really nice guy. Btw, I was indeed speeding, so I have no complaint and I'll happy to pay the fine. LOL...that's the end of my story. :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
lucky....maybe tellin him it was your birthday and maybe lying saying you just got the car (especially since he liked it) as a birthday gift could have even dropped the charges (who knows?)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Main and Dundurn? They'll get you everytime and usually they're not nice...be careful

I know almost all of those cops by name...and not cause we're friends :drive: zoom zoom :seeya:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Main and Dundurn? They'll get you everytime and usually they're not nice...be careful

I know almost all of those cops by name...and not cause we're friends :drive: zoom zoom :seeya:
[/b]
Thanks for the reminder. I'm still new to this city, got lost on Lincoln Pkwy many times. <_<

I'll be carefully next time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So no points deduction = no insurance increase?
I agree with "05 mazda6s", you might get lucky telling him its your birthday.
Still a good reduction I guess, happy belated 20/21 birthday...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cop: "Nice car, I like it!"
Me: "Thank you."

Cop: "Can you pull down the window, please?"
Me: "Sure."

[/b]
so u were talking to him with the windows up?
LOL just kidding. :laugh:

when i get pulled over, instead of lowering the speed they usually just let me off with a warning...because of my last name. i only had one speeding ticket, but got pulled over about 7 times in 4 years. not too bad, considering the speed limit in most places i live is 25, the highest speed limit is 50. each time i was caught i was going at least 40 over the limit, except for when i got the ticket. i was going 35 in a 25. of all times to get a ticket...

happy birthday btw.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so u were talking to him with the windows up?
LOL just kidding. :laugh:

when i get pulled over, instead of lowering the speed they usually just let me off with a warning...because of my last name. i only had one speeding ticket, but got pulled over about 7 times in 4 years. not too bad, considering the speed limit in most places i live is 25, the highest speed limit is 50. each time i was caught i was going at least 40 over the limit, except for when i got the ticket. i was going 35 in a 25. of all times to get a ticket...

happy birthday btw.
[/b]
LOL...thanks. He asked me to pull down the windows at the back just to check if I'm carrying drugs!

Actually, I told him it's my birthday but I understand who's he working for and his responsibilities. He just couldn't take away his kind offer at the beginning and let me go away without charges. It's not something that a policeman should do. If he already noticed that it was my birthday as soon as he checked out my license, I'm sure that he'd let me go.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
no points does not mean your insurance wont go up..you get points for doing 16 over the limit and a lot of insurance companies only have 2 categories for speeding

1-49 over 50+ over

insurance companies dont give a fuck about points, you could get 3 tickets at 15 over (no points) and lose your insurance!

and dont think your insurance wont go up from this one ticket, i've seen it happen, and since you DONT have a clean record... prepare to bend over

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Balhar is right

usually after 3 tickets, insurance will go up

I say you fight it
but this cop will remember you very well on the court date

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
insurance will go up after 2 tickets, some insurance companies will put it up after one ticket at even 10 over the limit!

·
Registered
201 Posts
and dont think your insurance wont go up from this one ticket, i've seen it happen, and since you DONT have a clean record... prepare to bend over
[/b]
lol

True enough though. My insurance went up, regarless of the fact I did not lose any points.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Please remeber this people....the ticket has already been marked as having been reduced. you go into court and the crown will say its been reduced what more do you want?

I believe that section of Main St is a 50...that may be your out....as it's a technicality. I'm assuming it was Main and Dundurn you were referring to as thats the only off ramp that I can picture with the details you gave.

If in fact it is a 50.....you are looking at 25 over with points. But is still better than the double the spped limit you would have had.....which is in essense dangerous driving.

And yes you will get raped with even a 15 kph ticket as most insurance companies are smart enough to know that the ticket was likely reduced.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Doesn't the cop literally have to mark it reduced on the ticket for it to be acknowledged as reduced?

I've never had a reduced ticket, but I have seen others with it marked reduced on the ticket. Just wondering if it actually has to be marked as reduced on the ticket to matter.

And yes, insurance will go up most of the time with any moving voilation. And if it doesn't, it still goes on your record, affecting any quotes u get when shopping around.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
they put an R in a circle on the ticket if its reduced.

i've heard that they can put it back to the full amount in court... i dont believe it myself because the original speed is not on the ticket.

however people have told me its happened to them (i call BS)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here's the ticket we've been talking about...
I'm sorry for the picture quality cuz I don't have a scanner here in Hamilton. But I'm going home this weekend so hopefully you guys can give some more suggestions when the scanned ticket is up.

Basically, he just wrote "SPEEDING 75KM/H IN A 60 KM/H ZONE
THE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT, ON - 128"

Please remeber this people....the ticket has already been marked as having been reduced. you go into court and the crown will say its been reduced what more do you want?

I believe that section of Main St is a 50...that may be your out....as it's a technicality. I'm assuming it was Main and Dundurn you were referring to as thats the only off ramp that I can picture with the details you gave.

If in fact it is a 50.....you are looking at 25 over with points. But is still better than the double the spped limit you would have had.....which is in essense dangerous driving.

And yes you will get raped with even a 15 kph ticket as most insurance companies are smart enough to know that the ticket was likely reduced.
[/b]
Chris, I'm sorry, it's my mistake. The intersection should be King St. and 403.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
FIGHT EVERY TICKET !!!!

Your insurance will go up if they check your record believe it or not. I went through the same issue last year, except my ticket was over $400 because I decided to see how fast the car could go and the cop congraduated me and gave me the ticket. Needless to say I see him in court and his bragging to the other cops how he took his RX8 to 200+kph. Long story short, I got off the ticket.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^Certainly can't hurt....

And kinglam - you might want to blurr out some of the info on that ticket image, like your address, license number, etc....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^Certainly can't hurt....

And kinglam - you might want to blurr out some of the info on that ticket image, like your address, license number, etc....
[/b]
What do you mean by can't hurt?

lol...btw, I don't fuckin care about the info as long as it's not my credit card or any bank card #.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I beleive the R in the lower corner refer to the ticket being reduced. Also on the back of it, it should indicate you actual speed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts