Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=12013][attachmentid=12014]

well...the progress bars isn't what I'd expect them to be but it'll due. Based on the pictures on the rpm store, I'd expected them to come with a brace that has the progress name on them. And I didn't realize the koni's needed that much modification to fit but that outways how much cooler it is to adjust them. Nothing a weekend mechanic can't handle. I'll post later on my reaction to these.

--NoWeyOut

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
nice! good luck and take lots of pictures!!!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
any chance of doing the bar first, shocks later? you are the 1st to try one. Should be great upgrade for sedan with oem 19 rear.

Look for better fit vs RB ... no bind at pivot bushings, proper lever lengths (short RB levers cause bind at lower link bushing) and eom thickness where vert link attaches, for better thread engagement.

I recal some found it easier to 1st install/torque endlinks to the bar ends.

This link puts some numbers to the rear bar mods:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=4155

have fun

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
well...the progress bars isn't what I'd expect them to be but it'll due. Based on the pictures on the rpm store, I'd expected them to come with a brace that has the progress name on them. And I didn't realize the koni's needed that much modification to fit but that outways how much cooler it is to adjust them. Nothing a weekend mechanic can't handle. I'll post later on my reaction to these.[/b]
Sorry for the confusion on the picture. The one with the Progress name on it was a front brace for another car. It was a stock photo provided by Progress. I have since added a picture of the real deal. Good luck with the install and do let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I already have the Bars installed, very nice. I like turning fast :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion on the picture. The one with the Progress name on it was a front brace for another car. It was a stock photo provided by Progress. I have since added a picture of the real deal. Good luck with the install and do let us know how it turns out!
[/b]
its ok...i was looking forward to the added lower brace for the rear sways but it was just a pipe dream. My shocks are blown so i can't try the sway only. By the way, I got the bar from RPM (namedrop)!

I'll see how the install goes!

--Wey

I need this link so ignore if you want:

http://www.druidhillroad.com/projects/koni/

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well...i only got to put the rears in because i started at 5pm on sat and finished up installing at night. I won't install the fronts till next weekend. With the rear's in and the sway bar, I am very impressed how much the ride quality improved. I would say it is very close to stock. My racing beat springs blew my struts a long time ago so I had to live with shot suspension for a while.

Initial Reaction: The car will not roll when I'm turning. I can get on onramps and corners quicker and I am not losing speed out of turns. I love it. The rear sway bar is much heavier than the stock bar and it feels much more solid. All my friends noticed the change in ride quality also.

I will write a better review after i get the fronts in. I am tired and aching from the install.

Final question, is it worth it? HECK YA!!!!

--Wey

PS Sorry no picks because the sun was going down but I'll take some next time.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
For the racing beat springs, I cut off the 1st progression, and made a "V" cut on the 2nd progression for the rears. For the fronts, I cut a 1 progression.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually i didn't cut my bump stop. I bought the springs off another member and no instructions came with it. I haven't bottomed out yet, but then again my shocks blew withing a month. Any correlation?!?? Maybe.

After 2 days, I still can't give an accurate review yet because the suspension sometimes feel like they are give more than they should on turns. But one thing remains the same, the speed on corners. Maintains enterance speed and exit speed is improved over stock suspension w/ little to no body roll. :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn't respond for a while. I am actually looking for a shop to install the fronts because I know its going to be a pain for me to install it myself. I got the rears in by myself with no problems. Even though I only have the rears in, I believe I can still make a proper review about the rears because I have been driving with the rears and sways for 2-3 weeks now.

Review for Rears only:

The KONI's definately have better rebound rates that OEM. It takes bumps on the roads and high speed turns like nothing. I'm still trying to push it. I take those tight, 180 freeway on-ramps fast and I saw my exit speed going onto the freeway once at 50mph (OEM tires w/ 17in, racing beat springs). Body roll is nearly non-existent because of the sways, but only if you get in on good angles. The car still rolls when I turn real late or real tight.

The only problem I have with the KONI's is that they get soft fairly quickly when they warm up. After a trip for 20 mins or so, the rear starts to get loose and the ride quality goes down slightly. The car starts to roll a little more. I read on the forum somewhere that it is because of the valving that makes it vulnerable to the heat. But it is nothing more than an insignificant problem.

Review for Progress Sway Bar:

These mothers are thick!!! Much heavier and solid feeling than the stock ones. I would say it weighs at least twice as much as the dinky OEM bar. Comes with new mounts and grease. Install was super easy. And as far as performance goes, I wouldn't have been able to go on the freeway at those speeds without it. It was the exact bar I was looking for. Not too stiff like the racing beat rear sways and not to small like the whiteline rear sway. Body roll is very minimal. My perception on cornering speed is altered because of these sways. I feel like I am cornering at normal speeds when I am actually going much faster. The 24mm bar is perfect. Can't wait to get to the track when I'm done with my whole car.

Overall impression:

I love these struts. I prefer them over OEM anyday, lowered or not. And the sway bar is just the icing on the cake. I like the feel of predictability in my driving and I know that my car can take any bump or any turn with no problem. The comfort level has significantly improved with just the rears on. When it hits a bump, it returns the car back to normal within one rebound. The fronts still bounce up and down a couple of times, so I still have something to compare to.

Fronts will be in this weekend (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Nice mini review.

I had just the front Konis for a long time and they were great. Now I've had all 4 installed for not even a week, but they are amazing.

What do you have them set at?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm glad to hear that about the koni's. Im looking to upgrade mines as well. I could feel my rear end having to rebound a couple times when i hit bumps on the freeway. and it sucks that u couldnt get the front in for a review. I saw a walkthru for it and it looks like a PITA with all the steps.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
How was the bar fit, regarding:

keeping the links vertical
not binding where the bar comes out of the bushing and bends
able to put oem nut to top of link, with a few threads still showing

all 3 problems (not terminal) with RB bar

had koni's on 2 other cars and 1 MC, great shocks. may need more damping if your working the bar a lot, as the effective spring rate is very high (see my prior link)

I think the 22mm whiteline would also work well on ramps, esp on the hatch or wagon with the smaller 18mm oem bar. but expect more roll vs the Progress rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Regarding the Koni fronts; anybody have the situation I ran into today installing mine.
I got all of the steps done ok, and was assermbling the first strut with my new Mazda Speed springs as well, and when it came time to install the top mount/bearing plate....... :huh: well the hole in the plate was smaller than the Koni threaded end :swearin: WTF.
That was not in any of the wonderful pictographs they had included.......... :irate:
In order to complete my install I had to enlarge the hole so that it would fit.
Other than this unexpected road block the rest of the install went pretty well.

Hoping to get rears done tommorow.

Have not had any real chance to drive it yet. just went around the block to make sure the car was tracking ok and I did not have any abnormal noise from the front suspension after the mods were completed.

I can see that the front is lower than the rear and at least 1-1.25 inches lower than stock, but of course this will change some when I put the rear springs and Konis on.

Can't wait

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
14 Participants
NoWeyOut
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing