Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got a parking ticket from "Municipal Parking Corp" for parking on private property without consent (I parked in a plaza parking lot in North York for about 10 min). So, I was wondering....do I have to pay this ticket? I don't think it was issued by the city as there is no option on the back of the ticket to take it to court if I wanted, I have to submit a written letter to the address provided if I want to dispute the ticket. So again, do I have to pay this thing? Would it prevent me from getting my renewal sticker? The ticket was for $40 or $60 if I don't pay in 15 days.

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A year or two ago I got one like that too and I didn't pay. At the time I researched the issue I found out those guys didnt have the right to issue parking tickets due to a by-law.

Now I see they went to court and seem to be winning against the by-law. So I'm not sure what would I do now. Probably if it's just one ticket I wouldn't pay, but dont get a lot of those and piss them off.

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Mu...earch&meta=

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

http://www.sgmlaw.com/Page753.aspx

http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/showthread.php?t=67706

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know I never used to pay parking tickets in college... the ticket had the humber college logo right on it, so i did some research and found they couldnt really do anything. I imagine that's similar.

However, that was 3 years ago or so, so I would look into the links provided above carefully.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^I recall the same thing, Squire.

In university, the cops would hand out tickets like CRAZY, and they're only recourse was to deny your academic status for the term.

Outside of the school, they had no jurisdiction...not sure about mall parking lots, though...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Legally speaking, if you dont pay the ticket, they can send a collection agency after u

in other words, this will be on your credit bureau

for you to renew your license plate, that's not a problem

I pay the damn thing, unless u want to take a risk that a collection agency will be up your ass

btw if it goes on your credit bureau it'll stay there for years, i can't remember if it's 3 or 7 yrs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
my mom got a similar one in toronto...not by the city..but by some private company, who's head office was in vancouver...anywaz...to make a long story short...

i called n tried to dispute...they woudl not...so i wrote a letter tellin them that i m not paying...cuz my mom had a valid paid stub, jsut the idiot that wrote it could not read, apperantly...so, i photocopied the ticket, n the stub...sent it in to their head office with complaint letter...

two months later...i got a reply...charge got dropped...case closed...

·
Registered
170 Posts
okay... now time to do what junglemage666 does :D

Basically if i get a ticket... I keep it, never pay it off...

Next time I go to that area that I got the ticket from... I put it back on my windshield wiper :D that way they think that I already got ticketed.. works like a friggen charm!!!! Its helped me park illegally in places such as downtown toronto side streets. What are the chances that they are gunna actually read the ticket thats on my wiper???

Guy (Junglemage666)

Guy (1) City of Toronto (0)

·
Registered
771 Posts
i just take someone else's ticket and put it on my windshield......when i get back, if the car is still around i put it back.....

If you ever get a ticket at York just scrap it.....its not an official city of toronto ticket so it wont hold up in court......but if the car is under your name or ur parents and you attend York...they can track you down and deny Anythin and Everythin till u pay ur fees....even ur degree.

word.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I know from working at Scotia Plaza we don't have formal police in the building all the time, and only some building employees are certified to give parking tickets. Yes, you have to be certified under Toronto's by-laws to give parking tickets. These tickets hold the same consequences as a parking ticket given out by the police.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts