Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was driving East bound on Highway 1 from Vancouver, heard a loud ding on the front passenger door. Checked it a bit later and found this :crying::crying:
I booked an appointment to do ceramic coating on the 2nd with a good detailing shop in Burnaby. Not sure if they can still do the work though.
Any recommendations? I'm not sure how deep the chip is but I'm pretty sure insurance won't cover it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rock chips suck. My car is littered with them all ready and it was new in May. Just got another this morning, too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Its the low nose design and soft paint. My 2 year old car looks like it was hit by a pellet gun. My suggestion is to use dr.colorchip when paint chips are far and few and get the front wrapped .

·
Registered
98 Posts
They will still be able to do the ceramic coating on the car (note that ceramic coating will do absolutely NOTHING to prevent chips such as this, it's more of a beauty coating than paint protection). That's a very wide chip, so you're going to have to use a fiberglass pen to scuff it up a bit, then use a number of THIN coats of touch-up paint with about 2 days drying time between coats. Once you have a nice big (ugly) mound of paint cured fully over the chip then you can do wet sanding and buffing. You probably won't notice the chip after you've wet sanded and buffed....

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
That's terrible.

I've heard nothing bad about Dr Color Chip - check that stuff out. You can also get a small bottle of touchup paint from Mazda for about $8. It USED to have a convenient brush attached to the cap, but people on here have confirmed that the newer ones only have the (kind of useless) pen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I gave up on trying to avoid chips after like a month. I think whatever my next car is, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get it wrapped since I do a lot of freeway driving. I do have a detailer that takes cares of rock chips when I go in for the seasonal wax.

The chips/impacts aren't really noticeable at typical viewing distance, but I cringe when I wash my car in the front and have to see my bumper up close.

Here in Texas because there is so much construction, there are rock dump trucks everywhere. And people seem to like to pass rock trucks going 1 mph faster. Drives me nuts.

You would think that manufacturers, with the all the technology these cars have, would have come up with a way to make paint more durable for daily use. I mean, I know being a daily driver that it isn't going to be pristine, but damn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not trying to be clever, but this is why I buy white cars.

There are many smarter looking colours out there, when they are in the showroom, but plain non-metalic white outlasts them all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not trying to be clever, but this is why I buy white cars.

There are many smarter looking colours out there, when they are in the showroom, but plain non-metalic white outlasts them all.
Does white really hide chips better? I'm on the opposite of that spectrum. Everything shows on black, lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've always thought charcoal grey/silver is the most forgiving. I would think things show up like a sore thumb on white, especially chips/scuffs.
I agree. With white, I can spot dark spots of chips way more easily.

Colors like Machine Grey, Granite Metallic, most silvers, etc. don't show ANYTHING. You could not wash the thing for a month and it'd still look decent from normal viewing distance.

My deep crystal blue starts looking dirty after like a day. If it rains, forget it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts