Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 560 miles on a tank of gas on my road trip to wahsington state. If I would have actually did the speed limit and not got on it at all probably would have got a lot more. I was tottally surprised. So it averaged about 35 miles per gallon. The power way incresed at the lower altitude. That is way better gas milage then on my 4 cylinder I used to have on my 6. Very happy with the car. I was like holly cow. Anyways what else is everyone else getting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
wow, very cool

now did you do alot of hard accelerations?

as long as the speed is consistent gas mileage would be better than slow down and speed up way.

but yeah if you kept on the speed limit i wonder if it'd get really close to 600.

how much of that is city?

yeah i've noticed going up to south lake tahoe i had to down shift alot on the mountain side roads.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Umm, so you are saying you got 35 mpg while going above the speed limit? say 75 mph? I'm sorry, but I'm going have to say you made a mistake with your distance calculation or forgot to reset your speedo.

What do you normally average? If you happen to have a "freak" car (which isn't neccesarily a bad thing), and normally get say 26 mpg aroudn the city, then yes, it might be believable. But if you get on average 20 mpg and then it jumps to 35 mpg on highway (and you said you were actually going faster) or maybe even double your mpg going the speed limit, then there's something definitely wrong here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm, so you are saying you got 35 mpg while going above the speed limit? say 75 mph? I'm sorry, but I'm going have to say you made a mistake with your distance calculation or forgot to reset your speedo.

What do you normally average? If you happen to have a "freak" car (which isn't neccesarily a bad thing), and normally get say 26 mpg aroudn the city, then yes, it might be believable. But if you get on average 20 mpg and then it jumps to 35 mpg on highway (and you said you were actually going faster) or maybe even double your mpg going the speed limit, then there's something definitely wrong here.
[/b]

Well I was doing about 75 & sometimes I would slow down sometimes speed up from that. That is not with city driving just pretty much strait highway and yes I did reset the mileage. As of right now I get about 26.25 miles with city driving. Well my car is brand new too I am sure it will go down over time and good tires on it also. It may also have something to do with my performance increses in lower elevations so it seems like their was less resistance at sea level and the car went. I did get on it. All I know is it may be a freak of nature but I am not going to question it. I about sh** my panths none the less. I have not tool a long raod trip though on all higher elevations so not sure what I would get then. Washington where I went is about sea level so that probably did have a big part and shit if I move their gas is cheaper then in nevada. All I know is I am verrry happy.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hmmm....my very first tank I got 430 miles. Grant it you have the 6spd Auto but that only gives you another 1-2 mpg more. Are you sure you didn't coast for another 130 miles?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I got 560 miles on a tank of gas on my road trip to wahsington state. If I would have actually did the speed limit and not got on it at all probably would have got a lot more. I was tottally surprised. So it averaged about 35 miles per gallon. The power way incresed at the lower altitude. That is way better gas milage then on my 4 cylinder I used to have on my 6. Very happy with the car. I was like holly cow. Anyways what else is everyone else getting.
[/b]
How many actual miles was the trip and how many gallons of gas did you pump at the end of the trip?

Miles per tank are basically meaningless and you cannot determine actual mpg without the miles/gallons calculation. That's why I ask. Otherwise the 35 is just an estimate.

I'm not doubting you as the best single highway trip I've done so far in my '04 6s ATX was 32.3 mpg. But I am curious to see if you did a real mpg calculation or made an mpg estimate based on the miles per tank and how much gas you think you used.

BTW: MPG normally increases as the car 'breaks in', and won't start to decrease until after it has gotten fairly old.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many actual miles was the trip and how many gallons of gas did you pump at the end of the trip?

Miles per tank are basically meaningless and you cannot determine actual mpg without the miles/gallons calculation. That's why I ask. Otherwise the 35 is just an estimate.

I'm not doubting you as the best single highway trip I've done so far in my '04 6s ATX was 32.3 mpg. But I am curious to see if you did a real mpg calculation or made an mpg estimate based on the miles per tank and how much gas you think you used.

BTW: MPG normally increases as the car 'breaks in', and won't start to decrease until after it has gotten fairly old.
[/b]

I have not done multiple calculations this is only what I got to washington and back. Only on the way their and the way back that is what I got. Mileage one way is about 570 or so not exzactly sure had to fill up before my destination and did not write it down. I would have to look at a map. I divided the total miles drove before I filled up and divided that by the amount that the gas tank holds which is 16. So yah that is what I did. Anyways all I know is it said 560 when I went to go fill up.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yikes!

That extra gear in the 6sp definatly helps w/ fuel economy. I nearly got 30mpg on my recent road trip crusing 72-73mph. (Hit 400miles w/ 1/4tank left) Given the extra gear and similiar driving I think 560 is at the very limit of what you can eek out in the car. Were you going downhill a lot as well? Because that would definatly improve the milage.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I divided the total miles drove before I filled up and divided that by the amount that the gas tank holds which is 16. So yah that is what I did. Anyways all I know is it said 560 when I went to go fill up.
[/b]
you need to divide it by the number of gallons you pumped at the next fillup. Also...the 6 has an 18 gallon tank, not 16. So even if you put in the entire 18 gallons (not likely) you got about 31mpg...which is still great.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have not done multiple calculations this is only what I got to washington and back. Only on the way their and the way back that is what I got. Mileage one way is about 570 or so not exzactly sure had to fill up before my destination and did not write it down. I would have to look at a map. I divided the total miles drove before I filled up and divided that by the amount that the gas tank holds which is 16. So yah that is what I did. Anyways all I know is it said 560 when I went to go fill up.
[/b]
The tank capacity on the 6 is actually 18 gallons. Since you didn't note how much gas you actually pumped you could easily have used a lot more than 16 gallons - depending on how you did the previous fill. (The capacity is 18 gallons, but you can squeeze a little more than 18 gallons in depending on the angle of the vehicle and how far up the filler tube the gas goes. All tanks have slightly more actual capacity than what is rated.)

So, that means your actual mpg is somewhere between 31 and 35. My guess is it was closer to the 31 than the 35. But even if it was the lower end - 31 is still a very good mpg for the 6.

The only way to judge mpg is to fill the tank, noting how the car is sitting and when you stop pumping gas (first click, second click, whatever.) Then you drive the mileage. Then fill the tank the same way as the last fill and note how much gasoline you pump. Divide the mileage by the gas pumped and that is your spot mpg.

And even if you note the gallons pumped, if you fill the first time until the pump clicks off twice, then squeeze in a few more ounces and then fill the second time only until the first click off, you could have quite a bit of difference, which also affects the mpg for that tank.

Trying to estimate by guessing how much gas you used tells you nothing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tank capacity on the 6 is actually 18 gallons. Since you didn't note how much gas you actually pumped you could easily have used a lot more than 16 gallons - depending on how you did the previous fill. (The capacity is 18 gallons, but you can squeeze a little more than 18 gallons in depending on the angle of the vehicle and how far up the filler tube the gas goes. All tanks have slightly more actual capacity than what is rated.)

So, that means your actual mpg is somewhere between 31 and 35. My guess is it was closer to the 31 than the 35. But even if it was the lower end - 31 is still a very good mpg for the 6.

The only way to judge mpg is to fill the tank, noting how the car is sitting and when you stop pumping gas (first click, second click, whatever.) Then you drive the mileage. Then fill the tank the same way as the last fill and note how much gasoline you pump. Divide the mileage by the gas pumped and that is your spot mpg.

And even if you note the gallons pumped, if you fill the first time until the pump clicks off twice, then squeeze in a few more ounces and then fill the second time only until the first click off, you could have quite a bit of difference, which also affects the mpg for that tank.

Trying to estimate by guessing how much gas you used tells you nothing.
[/b]

I see. I only put 16 gallons in it when I went to go fill it up. So it has an 18 gallon tank. Ok well that would make a little bit of a diffrence :) . I have never put more then 16 in it and pretty much let it go empty that way I could see how much it would get on a tank of gas. Well either which way my 03 6 4 cylinder only got max 420 miles wheater it was city or not. I am very happy. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get 20-22 mpg, but that's mixed city and highway (haven't taken a good road trip yet) I still haven't hit 400 for a tank without the light coming on and getting scared.

I would die for 36 mpg.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I see. I only put 16 gallons in it when I went to go fill it up. So it has an 18 gallon tank. Ok well that would make a little bit of a diffrence :) . I have never put more then 16 in it and pretty much let it go empty that way I could see how much it would get on a tank of gas. Well either which way my 03 6 4 cylinder only got max 420 miles wheater it was city or not. I am very happy. Thanks
[/b]
Yes, gotta divide with the next fill up, not previous. Well in any case, if you do have one of the "freak" car which gets even 32 mpg on the highway, congrats. Most people would kill for those number out of a V6.

I average 25 mpg, mostly highway. then again I gotta learn to keep my foot off the floor of the car. :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
[/b]
So, you stop at 16 gallons regardless? That's a novel way of doing it! :D

Still, like everyone has said - even 31 mpg is a great highway mileage. And it's likely it was somewhat higher than 31 - probably closer to 32 or you would have been running on fumes! Great mpg, IMO.

Fill her up all the way next time - at least until it clicks once. And do it that way every time - then strike an average. That will tell you what mpg you are averaging overall (I track my city, highway and 'mixed' city/highway separately so I can see each.)

Have fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Modcon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing