Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is inspired by my viewing of a hot pursuits show on TLC. I saw a car lose all tis tires and it made me think about the Run Flat tires.:) So anyway, what are the thoughts of my fellow forumers on the Goodyear Run Flat tires? They say you can get like 50 miles at 55 mph with them.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Goodyear RunFlat Tires

Thinking of out running the cops? :)

·
Registered
229 Posts

Here is a good guess at the product.

It's great that it runs still even when it is flat. I am also suspecting that the tires itself is much heavier than the normal radial tires. It doesn't look well if you are not into decreasing performance of the vehicle.

·
Registered
541 Posts

In order to support the weight of the vehicle with no air in the tires, the sidewalls have to be stiffer. This should lead to a bumpier ride and possible decreased performance. I've never had them on my car, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read articles about them.

·
Registered
376 Posts

and when do you know you have a flat if the tire still keep the same look even with no air??

·
Registered
73 Posts

They are VERY heavy compared to a standard all-season radial (~75-150lbs more for all four, depending on exact tire size) . BMW started recommending them heavily on '03 330i's, but my local dealship stayed away from them b/c of the performance hit. I drove a 330i with and without run flats, and I could definitely tell a difference. The harder tire seemed less willing to steer, IMO.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Goodyear RunFlat Tires'

Originally posted by mazda666

and when do you know you have a flat if the tire still keep the same look even with no air??[/b]
Cars that have run flats usually have sensors that tell you when the pressure is low. A friend I work with has a Mini and was getting a low pressure warning on a tire. He topped it off only to have the same slow leak. Turns out that he bent the inside of his rim hitting one of the many potholes that sprung up in this area after the 24+ inches of snow we got. Bummer. He had to buy a new rim.

FYI, either Tirerack or DiscountTiresDirect sells an aftermarket system that monitors the real time pressure reading on all four wheels. Good for a slow leak, especially if you ditch the spare for weight savings. You can detect a slow leak before getting low enough to shred the sidewalls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts