Mazda 6 Forums banner

Goodyear Nordic Tires

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Riceking 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the Goodyear Nordic tires Canadian Tires sells? The Michelen X-Ice still too pricey even with promo at Costco. I'm looking to get a set of 16" and steelies for my M6 wagon... the factory 18" it came with are the worst things ever in deep snow. Got stuck every single day during a heavy snow fall late last year. My Ford Tempo with cheapo 14" all seasons never got stuck.

Thanks
Rice

#2 ·
I dont know about them but the Dunlop graspic DS @ wal-mart worked great. I just called for myself to my local walmart (ottawa) and they are $99.98 each for size 205/65/15. install included plus $10.50 per tire for balancing. Im getting 2 of my older ones replaced because one has a nasty gash across the treads.

I also recomend not letting walmart touch your car. I am giving them just rims to install my new tires on and then I will be taking them to Carling mazda where I have a coupon for free winter rim swap. No high school drop out should ever touch a 6.

#3 ·
Anyone else having problems trying to get 16" steel rims for their 2006 Mazda6?

Canadian Tire says I need a special order 16" rim that's worth $80+ which doesn't qualify for their $65 rim sale in their flyer.

Wal*Mart says their 16" rim for 2005 Mazda 6 won't fit on a 2006?! (they claimed to have tried it) Go see Mazda Dealer.

Costco: don't carry. Only have 7 of the most common sizes.

Dunlup Graspic: yes I saw these at Wal*Mart last night... a good alternative.

#4 ·
Anyone else having problems trying to get 16" steel rims for their 2006 Mazda6?

Canadian Tire says I need a special order 16" rim that's worth $80+ which doesn't qualify for their $65 rim sale in their flyer.

Wal*Mart says their 16" rim for 2005 Mazda 6 won't fit on a 2006?! (they claimed to have tried it) Go see Mazda Dealer.

Costco: don't carry. Only have 7 of the most common sizes.

Dunlup Graspic: yes I saw these at Wal*Mart last night... a good alternative.
[/b]
I know you asked about a 2006, but I was able to buy Nokian Hakipilliiiliiitiatatitiaitaitis (or whatever) from Kal-tire with 16" steelies for $900. The 16" steelies were I think $65 each regular price. If I can find my reciept when I get home, I will see exactly what spec they are.

But like I say, mine is a 2005

#5 ·
I know you asked about a 2006, but I was able to buy Nokian Hakipilliiiliiitiatatitiaitaitis (or whatever) from Kal-tire with 16" steelies for $900. The 16" steelies were I think $65 each regular price. If I can find my reciept when I get home, I will see exactly what spec they are.

But like I say, mine is a 2005
[/b]

This may seem odd... but be careful about the steely's you buy. Some manufacturers void the warrenty on your car if you don't buy the ones they specify. It happened to my co-worker, almost. It was Kal-tire that told his they would not put steely's on his car for that reason and he had to get them from the dealer. fine print and all... oh and it was on a dodge intrepid too... not sure about how Mazda runs things...

#6 ·
This may seem odd... but be careful about the steely's you buy. Some manufacturers void the warrenty on your car if you don't buy the ones they specify. It happened to my co-worker, almost. It was Kal-tire that told his they would not put steely's on his car for that reason and he had to get them from the dealer. fine print and all... oh and it was on a dodge intrepid too... not sure about how Mazda runs things...
[/b]
That seems really odd to me. I had my car in for service with the steelies on and there was no comment from my service manager or anyone else.

Hmm... steel wheels that void the warranty... bizarre.

#7 ·
I got couple quotes today from Edmonton area dealers:

Webber Mazda $124 each for 16" steelie and $142 each for a hubcap!
Park Mazda $121 each for 16" steelie
Sundace Mazda $136 each for custom 17" alloy rim (they don't recommend I go from the factory 18" down to 16"!)

#8 ·
That seems really odd to me. I had my car in for service with the steelies on and there was no comment from my service manager or anyone else.

Hmm... steel wheels that void the warranty... bizarre.
[/b]

I know I thought so too... I guess they told the guy that if he had the "wrong" ones and any suspention type trouble occured they could blame the wheels. This is what Kal Tire told him... so he went to the dealer and they agreed... but of course they would right? Anyway, that was dodge not Mazda...

#9 ·
I got couple quotes today from Edmonton area dealers:

Webber Mazda $124 each for 16" steelie and $142 each for a hubcap!
Park Mazda $121 each for 16" steelie
Sundace Mazda $136 each for custom 17" alloy rim (they don't recommend I go from the factory 18" down to 16"!)
[/b]
Over hundred bucks for steelie?! Someone must be smoking crack. I think they just threw you a number to send you away. I was quoted 400 bucks each for 18" winter tire by a dealership. I was like, sure whatever, I gotya.

136 for 17" alloy sounds pretty good. Steelie should cost you around 60-80 bucks each. Why not pay a little bit more for something that looks decent.

#10 ·
Over hundred bucks for steelie?! Someone must be smoking crack. I think they just threw you a number to send you away. I was quoted 400 bucks each for 18" winter tire by a dealership. I was like, sure whatever, I gotya.

136 for 17" alloy sounds pretty good. Steelie should cost you around 60-80 bucks each. Why not pay a little bit more for something that looks decent.
[/b]
I full agree. But both dealerships quoted me similar prices.

Bill @ Canadian Tire in West Edmonton got back to me, he found some 'take off rims' in Montreal and will charge me only $51 each!

#11 ·
Hi there,

Just so you all don't think I'm too crazy... I got the whole story on what I had said before.
He took his car to KalTire... the dood said he had to special order the rims (steelies) from the dealership because the regular ones they stock were not recomended for his car (Dodge Intrepid). If they used the generic ones there'd be hell ta pay, etc etc... sorry I didn't have the full story before....

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

#12 ·
I posted this on the main wheel tire forum but thought I would post again here with more detail.

I was able to pick up four Nokian Hakkapelliita RSI tires (205-60-16) for $183 each plus four steelies to go with for $48 ea for a grand total of $1053 taxes in, with installation and balance thrown in for getting the full set.

For those that don't know about Nokian's. Here is a link to the tire I got.
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

I thought this was a pretty good deal for the tire I am getting.

#13 ·
I posted this on the main wheel tire forum but thought I would post again here with more detail.

I was able to pick up four Nokian Hakkapelliita RSI tires (205-60-16) for $183 each plus four steelies to go with for $48 ea for a grand total of $1053 taxes in, with installation and balance thrown in for getting the full set.

For those that don't know about Nokian's. Here is a link to the tire I got.
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

I thought this was a pretty good deal for the tire I am getting.
[/b]
The Nokian's are an awesome tire. I had them last winter, and they made a huge difference.

Did everyone know that Nokian tires used to be blue. One of my rally buddies from work was telling me about them last year after I bought them. Blue... sweet.

#15 ·
kinda OT, but when is the best time to switch to winter tires ?? Is it safe to switch once it gets below 0 ?? or wait for the first snow, in which case i might get stuck .. lol
[/b]
I usually wait till the first snow. Pay attention to weather forecast. However, I may switch them when it's still not too cold. It's just not very fun working on the car when it's freezing outside.

#16 ·
It has been said that all-season tires start to lose grip around 7 celcius. however if no snow is in the forcast your stockies will be fine, unless it is really cold for some reason. I plan on making the switch between mid Nov. and Dec.

the other thing is the longer you wait the more busy most places are. And if you dont have tires you may find they run low on stock.

BTW sunny what do you mean by "Is it safe to switch once it gets below 0 ?? " It is safe at any temp to change tires. Unless im missing something here.

#17 ·
Nokians are the best tires you could possibly get I think because they are Finland tires! I've driven many cars in the winter, and those were the best tires I found with traction and everything, except when it rained. They slipped a bit. I tihnk Gislaveds are the next best things, because they are swedan, same compound made, and alot cheaper because the Nokian tires have had a price hike of 40% in the last 2 years. When I bought them at 16" they installed with rims for 800 taxes in for my maxima, but the rights to sell them from the wholesale shop was taken away and Kal Tires are the only retail shops with the rights to sell them now. Damn those ppl!

Anyways, if anyone gets any good prices or can give other recommendations on tires, post! :D oh ya...plz:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.