Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys.. although Im not an avid forum poster by the least.. I visited the site a ton.. After numerous trips to my local Mazda dealers service center.. and dealing with problem after problem with my 6.. I decided to trade up for the American version.. the Ford Fusion. I'll miss my old one.. but the new one isn't much different.. just lower payments and 0% interest :D It got to the point where my Mazdas alternator was so screwed up my headlight would dim just by hitting on the brakelights (and NO it was NOT a battery problem.) Besides, I only had 800 miles left on the warranty.. also I had the infamous right hand pull that so many 6's see, which led to TWO blowouts.. both on major freeways. So I bid adieu to my Mazda 6 and to the forums I so avidly read, but start anew with the Fusion. I may be driving :drive: a faster-depreciating american version of a Mazda 6.. but I plan on keeping this one! :yesnod:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I love the Fusion...not as much as the 6, but it's a great family car IMO. Keep in mind I have BOTH (well not for long since I pick up my speed this Fri.) The V6 Fusion is my 30mpg+ road trip car and the speed will be my toy. You can't go wrong with the Fusion though. GL and I'll see you on the Fusion forums..

Psst...there's a great tuner for the Fusion 3.0L :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
hey man the internet is about voicing opinions so I'm going to voice mine:
trading the Flying M for the Ford oval = :thumbdn:
V6 fusion = no MTX
V6 MZ6 = made in US (Detroit i think)
V6 fusion = made in Mexico (I think)
and as you mentioned the depreciation on a US car sucks butt

but good luck anyways and I wish you the best, keep us updated on how you like it and the differences you find

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
V6 fusion = no MTX

but good luck anyways and I wish you the best, keep us updated on how you like it and the differences you find
[/b]
i'm going to have to agree with you... i've test drove a fusion and it's not a bad vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'm a ford man, so i wanted a blue oval. but, the 6 is VERY close and it came with a manual trans, so that sealed the deal over a fusion.

when the fusion comes with the new 3.5, which it will, maybe it will come in a sport version and a manual. when it does, i would like to own one. it's classy looking and well built, although it would be great if it was made in the states like our 6's.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well, sorry to hear your leaving your Mazda dude....It's a well built car but not suitable for everyone....Good Luck with your Fusion....The only other car I looked into besides the Mazda 6 was the Jetta GLI....That's one hell of a car!! I didn't even think about the Fusion so I had no clue about it....and for sure I couldn't buy an STI like all those other scrubs that drive one pretty much everywhere in America....SO good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
922 Posts
V6 fusion = no MTX

[/b]
i don't think 6 owners have room to talk about depreciation value, period... the 6 is completely and utterly terrible when it comes to residual value, resale value, etc...

hell, a buddy of mine was looking at a new 05 6i ATX and a USED 05 Cobalt LS.... he has credit challenges and the bank would only give him a loan on the Cobalt.... why? because the used Cobalt was worth more to the bank than the new 6... again..residual value and resale value sucks ass on the 6...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
i don't think 6 owners have room to talk about depreciation value, period... the 6 is completely and utterly terrible when it comes to residual value, resale value, etc...[/b]
Completely incorrect.

The only way you can get screwed on the Mazda6 is if you're retarded enough to pay MSRP.

My Mazda6s MTX cost me $20,600 new. I could sell it for $14,000 tomorrow -- only 33% depreciation for a car that's almost 4 years old. Nothing in its' class compares to the Mazda6 in resale when you consider average transaction price not MSRP.

A similarly-equipped Camry would have cost me $6,000 more than my Mazda6 cost me, but I'd only get another $1500 more now for it. The Altima would have cost me $4,000 more and would get me an extra $1,000 now.

Yes, all those cars sell for more now. But they cost a lot more to buy originally.

hell, a buddy of mine was looking at a new 05 6i ATX and a USED 05 Cobalt LS.... he has credit challenges and the bank would only give him a loan on the Cobalt.... why? because the used Cobalt was worth more to the bank than the new 6... again..residual value and resale value sucks ass on the 6...
[/b]
Well duh. The Used Cobalt already had taken its' depreciation hit because it was used. Therefore the bank had little chance of the debtor defaulting while being upside-down on the note. ANY new car is going to depreciate faster than a used one, therefore exposes the bank to more risk.

·
Registered
922 Posts
well sigma, good thing we have the luxury of paying less than MSRP for 6's at this point... how about those guys that paid 35K plus for a speed6 when they very first came out? so yeh good for us mazda dicked it up and now have to succumb to selling these cars off a dime a dozen...

as for the cobalt/6, he was specifically told that the cobalt would hold it's value longer than the 6... the question about initial depreciation was raised to them...

basically the bank was looking at value at the end of the loan life....

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Again, since the Cobalt already had its major depreciation hit, it already lost a significant portion of value the Mazda6 did not. It has less to lose.

Well, I wish you had looked at the Milan, as it is quite a bit nicer than the Fusion inside, but neither compare to the Mazda6.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
well sigma, good thing we have the luxury of paying less than MSRP for 6's at this point... how about those guys that paid 35K plus for a speed6 when they very first came out? so yeh good for us mazda dicked it up and now have to succumb to selling these cars off a dime a dozen...

as for the cobalt/6, he was specifically told that the cobalt would hold it's value longer than the 6... the question about initial depreciation was raised to them...

basically the bank was looking at value at the end of the loan life....
[/b]
I got my MS6 for well under MSRP when it came out (End of Nov 05...one of the first to sell in the state) :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Completely incorrect.

The only way you can get screwed on the Mazda6 is if you're retarded enough to pay MSRP.

My Mazda6s MTX cost me $20,600 new. I could sell it for $14,000 tomorrow -- only 33% depreciation for a car that's almost 4 years old. Nothing in its' class compares to the Mazda6 in resale when you consider average transaction price not MSRP.

A similarly-equipped Camry would have cost me $6,000 more than my Mazda6 cost me, but I'd only get another $1500 more now for it. The Altima would have cost me $4,000 more and would get me an extra $1,000 now.

Yes, all those cars sell for more now. But they cost a lot more to buy originally.
Well duh. The Used Cobalt already had taken its' depreciation hit because it was used. Therefore the bank had little chance of the debtor defaulting while being upside-down on the note. ANY new car is going to depreciate faster than a used one, therefore exposes the bank to more risk.
[/b]
When I sell my 2003 Mazda 6s MTX with 13,000 miles 2 years ago , I couldn't get $14,000 for it at CarMax and the trade-in is even worse. I try putting it on Autotrader and the newspaper but not a single phone call. If you are selling now, good luck.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Tru Dat! You better off keeping the car or find a deer ready to jump in front of you.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well, I wish you had looked at the Milan, as it is quite a bit nicer than the Fusion inside, but neither compare to the Mazda6.
[/b]
I got a Milan as a rental for a few days on last business trip, put a few hundred miles on it. Not bad... hard to compare the I4/auto experience to my V6/manual 6 but it definitely inspired more confidence behind the wheel than the usual Taurus/Malibu rental experience. A few notes:

- no external temp display (or none that I could find easily)

- no TCS (assuming so because I could not find a 'TCS off' switch)

- able to break traction on the Michelin 225/50-17s much easier than my with my 6 on Michelin 215-50/17 (don't think it's the extra 10mm but the softer suspension)

- poor rearward visibility... seemed like much smaller rear window than 6

- stereo (6-disc MP3 changer that did not say "Bose" on it) kicked ass... much louder than my 6 stock Bose system and surprising bass despite lack of subwoofer

- 6 steering wheel controls are damn near perfect, no other car ever feels right in this dept

Bottom line, however, the Milan is a poster child for everything wrong with FMC - in their continued effort to try to sell to everyone, they end up appealing to nobody with a car that's overall OK but doesn't hit a home run in any department. :zzz:

I have a 6 because I test-drove one on a whim and had to have it. Would not have had same emotional response with the Milan, but an "SVT" Fusion might be compelling. Can't stand chrome taillight treatment on Fusion, however. Extra couple inches on Milan/Fusion takes away from visually balanced purpose of 03-07 6... will be interesting to see how they pull off a longer 6 in 2008.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
[/b]
I've worked in vehicle financing before, and in financing basically all my career.

The bank didn't finance your friend's new 6 because his credit wasn't good enough to allow the extra cost of the car vs. the cost of the used Cobalt. It has nothing to do with the resale value of the car. Used cars have higher interest rates than used cars any day of the week.

I drove a Fusion for a week and 800 miles. It was an SE 4cyl. ATX, same powertrain as the 6. It lost traction in corners, tires would scream. The engine also felt dead. The seats were made of mouse fur that held onto my clothes every time I'd make a move. The steering wheel controls were hard to use. One thing I did like that the 6 doesn't have: The headlamps came on when I would push 'unlock' on the remote keyless entry. I wish the 6 did that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts