Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, and bye folks.

I've had a good time on this forum discussing cars and the cool 6.
I find the people on hear to be very genuine, mature, and knowledgeable.
It's been fun "talking" with all of you.

The 325i is the automobile that I choose to go with. I had the 6, A4, TSX, and 325 on the list as the sport sedans.
I had though of the WRX as well and then the EVO VIII. I almost bought the EVO as the performance is jaw dropping and eye popping out of this world for under $30k. I actually had 2 dealers give me well under MSRP offers to buy. They aren't moving too well.

I had decided on the A4 actually and went to do a final test drive and found that the center console in the gorgeous A4 intruded on my leg too much. I had brushed it off before, but I knew it would annoy me after a few weeks of driving.
So, it's the 325 in 5 spd. with the smooth and stiff sport package (seats, springs, wheels/tires, steering wheel).
The 6 is an awesome machine and belongs in the company of the finer Euro sport sedans and the TSX is there too now.
In the end, I had budgeted for the 325 and always wanted a German sport sedan. The 3 series is the model that defines this class, for me, at least in terms of handling and pure sport driving. The Audi is the style winner along with it's cool technology of turbo and AWD. The 6 is amazing for it's price and could easily cost more. The ride is not quite a refined as the BMW or Audi however. The Germans have a way of making stiff, near 0 body roll suspensions while offering an ultra smooth and compliant ride when simply cruising. And, the feel and communication between driver and car is awesome.
The A4 & 325 are a notch above the competition in terms of feel, but then, also in price. Not just a notch in price but quite a bit actually. As I said, I had it budgeted so I went for it. Is the 3 worth that much more than the 6? I can honestly say, no. But, sometimes emotion will make you pay. :)

Thanks again for the good converstion everyone. I wish you well and I know you all will enjoy your 6's.

Tome

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Good bye, it's been real.

Yeah I don't really care what you bought as long as my 6 comes.

I don't have a Protege any more but I still stick around Protege Club to impart what little knowledge I have of them.
They don't seem to mind so I'm still around there. :)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I had contiplated a used 330ci, 328i, or 325ci, but wanted something brand new. I don't blame you. BMW is my dream car. Good luck with the ride. And be SURE to post pictures.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Thanks for all your input into this forum, M-006. Enjoy your new beemer!

·
Registered
376 Posts

well, if it's the way you want it...

wish you the best with your bmw! have fun on the roads! :)

come back anytime you want!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

There's no need to go if the only reason your leaving is that you're buying a different car. Stay, and like Nuggs said, post pics of your 325 when you get it too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

definitely keep in touch, I have found that e46fanatics.com is a great BMW 3 series forum, if you need one.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

So you get what I like to call a "Wall Street Moped" (Börsmoppe :)) :D Nahhh :p

But as Absolut said - you don't have to leave!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Cool, I hope you enjoy your new car! :)

And when (I didn't say if) you regret it, and decide to go for a 6 later on, we promise not to say "what did I tell you?"

:D

Nah, seriously...enjoy!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks guys. I'll say one thing, I don't know what it is, but the BMW forum seems to not have as friendly of an environment as this place does. Maybe it's because it's bigger, colder, more aloof? I don't know.
I'll check in here time and again.

I haven't even got my car yet and I've planned 3 mods already. One thing I will say about the 6, the little things do count, such as, the clutch travel is linear, smooth, and short. Also, the shifter travel is short and precise as well. The one thing on the BMW that needs modding is the long clutch travel and the long shift. The shift itself is fine and very smooth but the movements required to make a shift are excessive. I'll fix the clutch travel very quickly, just need some parts from the hardware store. :)

And, I'm looking at a CAI. I love aftermarket intakes especially on 6 cylider engines.
My Eclipse GT has an awesome sound at WOT as the intake lets out a loud and growling sound.
I'll bet the V6 in the 6 will sound very sweet with a cone filter.

Tome

·
Registered
260 Posts

i have nothing against bmw 3 series cept that every spoiled asian kid around here drives one..

·
Registered
319 Posts

I'd do the same thing. If I had budgeted for a 3 series I would buy one too.

Good choice. Enjoy the wonderful I6 and RWD. Ahhhhhhh......

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We don't have many Asians in our area but I don't see what the signifigance of Asians and BMW is in your post. I just don't get it.

I don't know if I want to buy or lease. The numbers are very close when I calculate it.
I have a large chunk-o-change to put down if I buy. Given the residual and money factor of the BMW, I would only put down about $500 dollars on the lease and I would have the same monthy payments as if I am buying. 2.9% is the loan rate to buy.

All the maintenance, and I mean ALL is included for the first 50,000 miles; oil changes, washer fluid refills, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc..., even brake pads and rotors if I wear them down that early (not likely). All I have to do is put gas in it and get winter tires, that's it.
And, on every saturday they have free mini detailing. You come and have coffee and they hand wash and vacuum your car for FREE.

The nice thing about a lease is that you get to keep you big down payment in you savings and just pay the monthly. And, at the end of the lease there is a guaranteed buyer for your car, the dealer.
Makes things simple and clean. But, when running the numbers of total outlay of cash including payments and fees (for buying and leasing); if I sell the car at the price that the lease residual claims it is worth, then I should be ahead anywhere from $800-$1400 depending on the final terms of the lease. Thus, I take the selling price and subtract what is left on the buy loan (24 months/payments); that is the money I get back. Then take what I have spent in the first 36 months in payments and subtract what is left over from the sale and payoff. That gives me the $800-$1400 LESS spent than leasing.
Now, this assumes that I can sell the car at the indicated residual. It's possible that I could get more and that I could get less. But, it remains that I have to take the time to sell it and deal with
payoffs and title transfers from the loan company and such.
Leasing removes that hassle as you have a guaranteed buyer at a known price, but it'll cost ya a bit more for the convenience.

The other aspect is that after 3 years, you're done. You can keep the car and finance the residual value or lease another BMW which they entice you with as they give you some perks such as no turn in fee and no security fee on the 2nd lease. Or, you can just walk away and get something else altogether. With lease rates so low and residuals so high on BMW's, leasing becomes a viable option. It doesn't work with lower priced cars that don't hold their value however. But, it works with BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's. I'll bet the new RX8 will have some very good leasing.
Also, the finance rates are so low that buying is great as well. Audi has 1.9% for 5 years and BMW has 2.9%. With 1.9% for 5 years you can afford at least a couple or three thousand more on a car or options and pay the same over 5 years as you would on a less expensive car at a higher loan rate, such as 5-6%. Of course, you could just keep the price low with less options and take the cost savings of only paying 1.9%. Choices are good. :)

Ok, I'm rambling and I'm tired.

Tome

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The difference is more than a monthly cost issue. When you buy you own, when you lease you don't...

In Sweden, private leasing of cars isn't an option.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Good bye, it's been real.

No, not really. It's all a matter of how you look at it. Most people can't get over the "lease" as beeing a real ownership. Why? Because people see a lease as a "rent" type of issue.
Well, when you "buy", do you own it? No, you don't. You make payments towards that purchase.
The bank that gave you the loan owns that vehicle until you pay in full, THEN you'll get the title in your name and in hand.

A lease is as much an ownership as a loan purchase. You make payments towards an option.
At the end of your lease, you can buy the car for the pre-determined residual value (known ahead of time) or you can lease a new car or you can walk away from the leased vehicle.
A lease has a guaranteed buyer, the dealer. If you purchase by loan, and then you decide that you want a new car after 3 years, you have to sell the car yourself. You don't have a guaranteed buyer. You have to advertise and deal with "shoppers" and then hopefully a buyer.
I've done this many many times. For me, it's not too much of a hassle, but it is something you must do if you want a different car whether it be at 36 months or 60 months.

In a lease you make payments on the depreciation of the cars value, but you get to have the car brand new with it's full warranty and full free maintenance. That has value in and of itself.
In a loan purchase you make payments while the car depreciates, thus you don't want to sell until you've reached a point where depreciation and the amount you owe are worth it. That normally happens at around 36 months (3 years). That is why the average lease is also 36 months.
Even if you did a loan purchase you DO NOT own that car. It's merely a perspective thing.
The only way you truly own a new car is if you pay cash for it. However, you'd be making an unwise choice to buy with cash if the loan were only at 1.9% or 2.9% and you could keep your money in the bank and make 2 or 3% (CD's more than likely to get that rate).

It's a mental hurdle. I felt the same way about a lease until I did the numbers and research.
Leasing costs and payments are very similar to loan purchases and manufacturers know this.
Most high end makers want you to lease. Why? Because, you are guaranteed to return at the end of you lease which is typically 3 years. You will need another car at that point. They want to sell you a new one on a new lease. That's why BMW and Audi have such great leasing. It moves product and gives them fully maintained and excellent condition used cars (lease returns).

So, Sweden may be different, thus it's probably not even a true comparison.
Leasing is a very viable option if you pick the right car to lease, those are high residual low money factor cars.

Tome

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

How much freedom do you really have to "mod" your car if you lease? That's the downside to me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Any mod that is reversable can be done. Warranty is warranty. If you mod a loan purchased car, it is subject to warranty exclusion if the modded part has caused a failure. Same is true on a leased car. The warranty does not change between a regularly purchased and leased car.

But, it is a consideration for sure. If you buy then you can do permanent type mods that you then have to sell with the car, that can be good and bad, depending on what the mod is.
Luckily, there isn't much on the 325 I want to change that isn't returnable to stock.
And intake, clutch stop, and maybe short shift kit and that's about it. I even like the stock stereo.
:)

Tome

·
Registered
58 Posts

My brother just orders his fully loaded 325i (every option includes GPS). BMW is a great car but too expensive IMO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts