Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the wagon in today to have the windows tinted. I was never much for tinted windows since here in Seattle, we don't get a TON of light. In my mind, anything that blocked that was not a good idea for my mental health.

However, I bought my first Mazda, a P5, with tinted windows from the previous owner and when I was in the car, even on a cloudy day, I never really noticed it. From the outside, I REALLY liked how it defined the green house from the body.

So, yesterday I took the P5 in to have them determine what the tint level was so I could do the same thing to the new 6s wagon. They don't stock the 45% anymore (that was what was on the front of the P5), so they are going to do 35% on the front which is legal where I live, and 18% on the back. I am excited to see the difference in appearance. Here are some before photos... I'll post some after shots when I get it back.

Next week I get my RX-8 wheels which might take a bit to get installed. I'm looking forward to that upgrade as well. I'm going for understated cool with my build. After all, I did buy it for the utility value that is provided by a wagon. I just wanted something that was nearly as much fun as my old P5.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got word that as I was writing the above post that my RX-8 wheels came in a whole week early via the freight truck from Florida. I'm going to go down and pick them up tomorrow. Pretty excited about that! I'm out of town this weekend though so I won't be able to do much with them till I get back. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice man hopefully all goes well. I've been trying to get find what a good price is to have someone tint your windows. I used to have a 2010 mazda6 before I traded it in and I had it at 35%

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am paying $330 + tax for all windows but the front and sunroof. As I was going over there, I thought a SUPER light tint on the roof might be nice to cut down on the UVA and B rays as well as reduce some of the solar heat gain. I just really like having the light come through and my last sun roof was factory untinted, so I decided to leave it well enough alone. This is the first time I've paid for it. My last car came with it. My brother has a VW Vanagon that he had tinted at this same shop with good results. I pick it up in about 1.5-2 hrs. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good deal. I'm currently living in Hawaii and the tint laws out here are an annoyingly high 35% . My new 6 that I just got is factory untinted as well. The fact that the windows aren't tinted on my 6 is driving me crazy so I'm trying to get it done ASAP.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After shots of tint

So I got the wagon back from the tint shop. I must say, it is a bit darker than I thought it would be. I knew the front windows were going to be a bit darker than I had before on the P5, but I can't seem to tell the difference between the front and rear tint. The fronts were supposed to be slightly lighter than the rear.

Regardless, the machine looks pretty bad a**!! I like the dark green house and it really changes the look of the car. I'll load side by side before and afters since the before shots I posted above look almost like the car has tint.

What do yall think?

PS excited to see my RX8 wheels tomorrow!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... after a long deliberation and the finding of some poor craftsmanship I had my tint redone.

I didn't do a lot of research before pulling the trigger the first rime and sort of let the shop decide for me the tint values based on what I was looking for. They ended up installing 25 front and 19 for the rear (wagon). When I got it back it was REALLY dark compared to my P5 which was what i was trying to duplicate. I had immediate buyers remorse.

What I disliked the most was that it was really hard to see inside the car from outside. I felt like I was projecting the image of someone that was trying to hide in the car. I really just wanted to make the windows a uniform darkness to give the car a bit of stance.

The other more important issue was visibility. At night and especially twilight, seeing things out my side windows was really difficult. I kept feeling like I was going to run over a pedestrian or a cyclist that I couldn't see due to the dark tint. Even on a reasonably well lit street with street lights, stuff to my side was just sort of crude shapes. No detail at all. Not good!

I lived with it for a week to make sure i wasnt just making it all up (I am not good at change). It was still bothering me after the week was up and the blind spot factor was a serious issue for me. To make matters worse, when I rolled the windows down the first time, I found the edge to be all jagged and misaligned at the top of all four windows and a very small bubble showed up in the rear hatch. Not only was it too dark, it was a poor installation!

I called the shop and drove it in for them to review. They agreed to replace the four windows and the rear hatch. Since I was going that far, I asked if they could remove the remaining 4 pieces of film and change it to 35 at the front two windows and 25 for the back and cargo area. They were a little dissappointed but the guy called me back and said sure... just bring me 50 bucks cash and we'll make it right.

Since I was such a pain in the ass indecisive customer I just gave them 60 bucks. The manager ended up doing the work and I am so much happier with the 35 up front. I can see at night and the whole car is a bit brighter which is good for me here in grey Seattle. All in all I'm happy, but man... the agony in the decision was not cool!

Alex

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I found 35 to be plenty dark, especially in the conditions you described.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... 35 on even bright overcast day certainly is about as dark as I'd like for the front. The 25 rear so far seems okay. It has been a rather expensive learning experience. Fortunately due to the shop's initial job not being top notch I didn't have to pay for it all over again.

·
Registered
2017.5 Touring Plus - Moonroof, Bose & Nav Package and Premium Package Black Mica Paint, Black Letrr
114 Posts
Tint really sets off your 6!
Nicely Done!

Reactions: waughoo

·
Rally Racer
3,367 Posts
Portland, OR - 2004 6s wagon window tint

Thanks for sharing your tint experience. I live in Portland, OR and have been suffering with the same decision dilemma as you were. Seeing the comparison and reading your initial lament has helped me decide (F)35%, (R)25% as well. It goes in today and we shall see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad the post was helpful. I still really like it and the 35 on the front is perfect. The 25 on the rear is also great in that it looks uniform to the eye and you can still see in just a little bit. I'm very happy with the end result after the changes. Post a picture of yours when you get it back. I'd love to see how yours turned out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts