Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered why these cars have to look so ugly? If anyone could answer that.. please do!

My question is... Do the front and rear taillights (the 3 vertical bars) look reminicent of the old 60's mustangs to anyone? Here's the best pic I could find... sorry..

Here's the story link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddrive...view_hywire.xml

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: GM Hy-Wire

I think they said that the Hy Wire will have interchangable bodies. Maybe that was another car... *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

interchangeable bodies? We're getting out own transformer cars...SWEET!!! I call optimus prime!!!

-yasir

·
Registered
736 Posts

http://robots.cnn.com/2002/TECH/09/19/hywire.cars.glb/

"Drivers will use a videogame-style controller, called the X-drive, to operate the vehicle.

"The driver can accelerate by twisting a motorbike-style hand grip with either the right or left hand and brakes by squeezing, which is an intuitive thing to do," Borroni-Bird said.

And if you get tired of the way the car looks, you can change it anytime you want because everything that propels the vehicle and controls the way it behaves is inside the chassis.

A single wire connects the body of the car and the chassis, so the shell is easily removed.
"

By the way, the video on that site is very informative. They even show the body being changed.

·
Registered
980 Posts

As intuitive and attractive having a car body that could be easily changed, I just don't think it's practical or makes good business sense.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Replying to Topic 'GM Hy-Wire'

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

A single wire connects the body of the car and the chassis, so the shell is easily removed.[/b][/i]"[/b]
im glad they thought about safety in collisions.... :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Replying to Topic 'GM Hy-Wire'

Originally posted by BadBadNeil

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

A single wire connects the body of the car and the chassis, so the shell is easily removed.[/b][/i]"[/b]
im glad they thought about safety in collisions.... :D[/b][/quote]

lol... They can't think of those minor little things... More important things like a "video game controller" to drive it are far more important. :) [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

They're not talking about a consumer being able to change bodies you guys. What they mean is that the drivetrain/chassis unit is one piece, then the body sits on top of that. The only control interface is the one wire. The body will be attached via weld or epoxy. The drive unit looks like a big skateboard. So in theory, this would allow a manufacturer to take advantage of better economies of scale in production of the "skateboard" unit. The body would be a "fashion" item that would follow current design trends.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Exactly. The current Hi-wire body was put together a few weeks before unveiling the car, it was never supposed to be produced. It's the technology UNDER the hood that's important.

·
Registered
980 Posts

How many years away do you think it will be before we see hydrogen powered cars? Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I'll ask my soon to be brother in law, he calibrates transmissions for GM and knows a few of the higher-ups...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts