Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Cross-Posted From "Interior Modifications"]

I'm looking to put a boost gauge in my MazdaSpeed 6, but don't want to spend too much money. I also want the gauges to match the stock gauges as much as possible. Glowshift has their tinted 7-color gauges which look like they will accomplish the task.

I realize there are better options out there such as the Defi Link-Meter BF, but I don't really want to spend $200+ for a boost gauge. Not to mention the controller...

My question is...has anyone had any experience or knowledge of these gauges???

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=186

·
Registered
856 Posts
I ran across those when I was looking for a boost gauge. I just don't know that I could trust the accuracy of a $30 gauge. I still ended up deciding on the Defi BF gauge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you. I am hesitant to buy a boost gauge at $30. Which is why I posted this. However, I also work in advertising and I KNOW that price does not always reflect quality. I also KNOW that the manufacturing costs of that $200+ gauge are EXTREMELY low compared to its retail. That leaves a whole lot of room for PROFIT. While I am 99.9% sure that a DEFI [email protected]$200+ would be a quality product and fulfill my needs, I am also 99.9% sure that there is a cheaper alternative out there.

Manufacturing costs aside, the Defi gauges are also more than I need. It's a higher price for a "System" I don't really need...The "Link-Meter" System. I don't really want to pay for an electronic gauge system. Where you have a controller that feeds information to all the gauges your heart desires. All I need is a mechanical boost gauge, and possibly and A/F gauge.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I understand completely. I spent 2 days looking at gauges online and only found a few I liked, Glowshift being one of them because of the match. But I would always have the thought in the back of my head saying "its so cheap? i wonder if its even accurate." But then again, nobody knows till they try it, and it is only $30. Its one of the only other close color matches out there as far as boost gauges go.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
One thing I would like to add on the Defi gauges. For installation it is much simpler than the normal gauge where you may need to run the vacuum line plus other cables it may need through the firewall. Whilst with the Defi's, there is only one wire one needs to feed through the firewall. So it is much easier at the end. Please keep this in mind when you decide which one to go by. Not saying it is impossible to do with the normal ones, but it is just much harder, as I found even running the single wire through the firewall for the Defi is troublesome.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't really want to pay for an electronic gauge system. Where you have a controller that feeds information to all the gauges your heart desires.[/b]

So (sorry, never had boost+ guages before) does this mean that the one wire will control more than just a boost guage?? If so what else can it do?

Also, a local car guy told me that he feels a mechanical boost guage is more accurate than an electric one. Is this a common belief? Seems to me that with the technology we have today, that statement is false.

Not trying to steal your thread..... just saw a question that needed to be asked (for me anyway).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I got one & returned it..... It read very low & uses a large hose instead of 1/8 plastic one.
I recommend an AutoMeter $50 job......

·
Registered
856 Posts
So (sorry, never had boost+ guages before) does this mean that the one wire will control more than just a boost guage?? If so what else can it do?

Also, a local car guy told me that he feels a mechanical boost guage is more accurate than an electric one. Is this a common belief? Seems to me that with the technology we have today, that statement is false.

Not trying to steal your thread..... just saw a question that needed to be asked (for me anyway).
[/b]
With the Defi system you can daisy chain the gauges together from the control unit. All the sensors plug into the back of the control unit. I'm pretty confident that the electronic Defi boost gauge is pretty accurate given the cost and reputation of Defi. Electronic gauges usually have some type of replay or peak recall function.

www.defi-shop.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have then in mine and they read perfict. no probs here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
998 Posts
I got one & returned it..... It read very low & uses a large hose instead of 1/8 plastic one.
I recommend an AutoMeter $50 job......
[/b]
Personal preference, but I prefer rubber vacuum line over 1/8" hard plastic tubing that will get brittle and break over time.

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
Fox Fader
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing