Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few pics of a cathode I added to the glove box, with a switch so it will light up whenever the door is open, whether the car is running or not. I got the idea from someone else, so all props go to him/her, whoever you are.

[attachmentid=18277][attachmentid=18278][attachmentid=18279][attachmentid=18280]

-Nik

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice writeup, with great pics. Seems to illuminate very well.

Good info, but too much work for me with not enough benefit (IMHO). Should come standard with the vehicle, but not a biggie for me.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Looks great, but PLEASE tell me that alligator clip isn't a permanent fixture!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
This is really awesome. For some reason Mazda has a weird bug up their ass to only have the glovebox light turn on with the headlights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is really awesome. For some reason Mazda has a weird bug up their ass to only have the glovebox light turn on with the headlights.[/b]
Yeah, weird isn't it. I never understood it either.

Looks great, but PLEASE tell me that alligator clip isn't a permanent fixture!!!!!!![/b]
Awwwwww, do I have to ? :p

-Nik

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is really awesome. For some reason Mazda has a weird bug up their ass to only have the glovebox light turn on with the headlights.[/b]
You really think that's weird? It makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I've liked the feature since having a 1981 626 Coupe from 1986 through 1992 (loved that car, btw).

If your headlights are on, it's reasonable to expect that you're in a presently dark environment (nighttime, parking garage, tunnel, whatever...). If you open the glove box in the dark, it's helpful that it be illuminated.

If, however, your headlights are off, it's reasonable to assume you can see into the glovebox using light provided by the sun, and there's no need to switch on the light.

I'd have thought this was obvious. Of course, it's possible you're being sarcastic & I'm just missing the joke entirely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You really think that's weird? It makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I've liked the feature since having a 1981 626 Coupe from 1986 through 1992 (loved that car, btw).

If your headlights are on, it's reasonable to expect that you're in a presently dark environment (nighttime, parking garage, tunnel, whatever...). If you open the glove box in the dark, it's helpful that it be illuminated.

If, however, your headlights are off, it's reasonable to assume you can see into the glovebox using light provided by the sun, and there's no need to switch on the light.

I'd have thought this was obvious. Of course, it's possible you're being sarcastic & I'm just missing the joke entirely.[/b]
Sooooo, what if it's night time, the car is off, and you need to get something out of the glove box ?

"License and registration, sir. Wait, why are you turning on your parking lights ??? Freeze, put your hands up and step out of the car."

"But, officer, I HAVE to turn all my parking lights on to turn on this one bulb for my glove box."

:guns:

lol

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Sooooo, what if it's night time, the car is off, and you need to get something out of the glove box ?
"License and registration, sir."[/b]
Nik, don't worry it's a good idea!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why does the glovebox light stay on the whole time the car is running and while the box is closed. I can also see the light while its shut.. its annoying! It should only go on when u open it up.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Why does the glovebox light stay on the whole time the car is running and while the box is closed. I can also see the light while its shut.. its annoying! It should only go on when u open it up.[/b]
yeah I agree but since I just tapped into the factory wire harness for the stock glove box light I am not able to switch it on and off (other than with the headlights)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice write up! The only problem that I had with mine is its soo bright the light comes through the crack when the glove box is closed. How about you[/b]
Yeah, I've heard about that with some people. In the pics you can see the switch (from Radio Shack) that I put in so that it will only come on when the door is open and goes off when the door is closed.

-Nik

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yeah, I've heard about that with some people. In the pics you can see the switch (from Radio Shack) that I put in so that it will only come on when the door is open and goes off when the door is closed.

-Nik[/b]
Nice! Did you see the pics of the ones I did in the license plate and trunk

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...52554&st=30
Page 1 and 3

License Plate Light

Glove Box

Trunk Lid - Now I have two lights on either side of the trunk and not on the lid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice! Did you see the pics of the ones I did in the license plate and trunk

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...52554&st=30[/b]
Yeah, in fact, now that I see those pics/thread, it was you that gave me the idea. Those pics just jogged my memory. The lights from Oznium are very nice for the price, I just wish they didn't change their red ones. I've added them to just about all the compartments & engine bay. Nice job on the license plate light too. I have the hatch or else I'd prolly do it too. I'm also planning on adding a 12" tube to each side of the trunk compartment.

-Nik

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yeah, in fact, now that I see those pics/thread, it was you that gave me the idea. Those pics just jogged my memory. The lights from Oznium are very nice for the price, I just wish they didn't change their red ones. I've added them to just about all the compartments & engine bay. Nice job on the license plate light too. I have the hatch or else I'd prolly do it too. I'm also planning on adding a 12" tube to each side of the trunk compartment.

-Nik[/b]
Nice. One thing I can tell you if you put them in the exterior make sure you seal them with silicon like they say, if not....They will burn out. TRUST ME. :tear:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.