Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
how much for the spacers? my car is all apart waiting on these spacers.
sorry i dont check here often, and dont even remember getting an alert that someone posted here. but the GB has already happened, but im thinking about doing another run of them since the people who participated in the first GB spoke so highly of the gains and quality. if i do another it will probably be held on 6crew, but i'll inform everyone here as well.

Well, not trying to be 'that guy'. and the workmanship of these pcs is wonderful. My career was in engine design. The factory manifold is the result of extensive CAD design and dyno prove-out. HP, Tq, emissionability (egr entry details largely), packageability, cost, even appearance are all things the factory engineers juggle to make the best design possible. This is not to say an aftermarket pc cannot exceed OEM hardware in optimizing one or more facets of a design. It is rare that an aftermarket pc is more thoroughly engineered than what the car came with, unless cost is no barrier, and even then not often.
Longer runners make more torque, less horsepower.
Adding these spacer increases runner length but not plenum volume
Not all dynos are the same. Actually few normalize the data for grains of moisture, barometer, temp, etc etc.
Trivia: typically you get a dual peak (camel hump) torque curve, one peak corresponding to the standing wave controlled by primary runner length (being changed here) and one (higher speed) controlled by the overall length to the tbody.
Anything connecting to the upper intake will not "fit" as designed when adding these spacers (love the look of them). This can be as simple as moving a flexible line like PCV to the not-so-simple modification to make the steel tube EGR line-up. Air inlet tube, connections to the tbody,etc will all not fit as designed.
Manifold to hood clearance will be diminished, obviously. If the hood closes, it is possible the manifold will hit in engine roll (sharp accel,decel). A side note, an area for hood collapse before hitting the engine is required in design to make the vehicle less lethal to a pedestrian struck. New reg, did not make this up.

Great looking pieces, but am thinking this is an attempt to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Perhaps at part throttle, longer runners will provide more torque and therefore better feel. Not sure. Great looking pcs.
Respectfully submitted.

i've already taken everything into account. i dont just make parts to make parts i do in fact put design effort and research into any product i make. people are already running my spacers with great reviews and are very happy with the gains. thank you for the post tho, your concerns are appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've already taken everything into account. i dont just make parts to make parts i do in fact put design effort and research into any product i make. people are already running my spacers with great reviews and are very happy with the gains. thank you for the post tho, your concerns are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Great. What is the BSFC at WWMP? Just curious.
(Brake Specific Fuel Consumption @ WorldWide Mapping Point).

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Did anyone ever actually dyno these specific spacers on a Mazda6 V6?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So do we need to EGR re route to run this? Can these be run on a fully stock engine?
I personally never tested them on a bone stock configuration V6 because my car was never stock when i made these and Most if not all the owners who purchased them had modified EGR setups or headers anyway.

Did anyone ever actually dyno these specific spacers on a Mazda6 V6?
There was one person who did dyno iirc. i can remember who. i'll try to find them. but it showed pretty much advertised and expected gains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This month I'm putting an entire exhaust on my car -- MSDS header kit and a Magnaflow catback. It's a combination of following The Great NY's advice and cats that are so clogged I can smell exhaust in the cabin. But I need to address my intake after that. I'm currently stock on the intake side except for the airbox mod. Will using this spacer change the way I need to address improving my intake? If not, and if they're still available, I'm in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
But people are still around. I'm not scrounging the internet for a spacer plate, but maybe somebody here has, or knows someone who has a spacer. It's a good looking piece, but I didn't wanna have to make my own if someone is getting rid of one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a set of lower intake manifold to test out my theory of using extra lower intakes to make a spacer. I figure I just cut off what I don't want and get it milled flat. Spacer?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts