Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 days of snow and ice I've noticed every time I start to slide, the back end starts to come around to the right.

Most of the roads are pitched to the right for drain off, so I'm guessing that explains the right-bias. I'm just surprised that whether it's under braking or acceleration the back end comes around this easily - the tires are week old ContiExtreme (M+S) and DSC is on.

I got seriously sideways creeping down a steep icy hill yesterday (since it's a steep hill the road doesn't dip to the right there - so I was surprised to see the rear end come around that much with the steering wheel straight!

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah I had this happen when I tested it in snow with the summer tires on, but this was with the DSC off. I couldn't tell you how it goes with the snow tires on because it's been really warm lately.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Does the speed 6 have a weight bias to the right? Does any1 have a breakdown if weight per tire?
[/b]
If i'm not mistaken, all the tires weigh the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
[/b]
I think he is asking how much the car weighs at each corner/tire.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think he is asking how much the car weighs at each corner/tire.
[/b]
Oh, I don't know off hand, but I think it's in the sticker in the door jamb.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been testing the car since the city has been frozen for the last few days. There were times when I hit the gas hard and the rear would break friction then slide toward the outside because of the crown of the road. I don't know about right bias but all roads should be built with some crown to it for drainage.

Once thing I noticed is that when I turn at an intersection, if I hit the gas hard enough, the rear end will break friction all the sudden and the rear will kick out. Then DSC kicks in and stops the car from doing a 180.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Maybe having the weight of the driver in the opposite corner is creating a pivot point about which the car rotates. If there is a reduced load on that back rear tire anyway, it could be exacerbated by a, uh, portly driver.

But, all things considered, 200lbs of sprung weight probably isn't going to change the dynamics that extremely, but it's a small possibility

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Maybe having the weight of the driver in the opposite corner is creating a pivot point about which the car rotates. If there is a reduced load on that back rear tire anyway, it could be exacerbated by a, uh, portly driver.

But, all things considered, 200lbs of sprung weight probably isn't going to change the dynamics that extremely, but it's a small possibility
[/b]
Solution: place a 200 crash test dummy in the right rear passenger seat. If you don't have access to a crash test dummy, sandbags will suffice. :drive:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have your alignment checked. I have found the car to be incredibly stable underbraking in the ice and snow with the pirrellis on it. As for cornering, its as stable as I will let it be. I have had it slide both left and right. Not always right. The other thing to check is your tire pressure. Make sure you bump it up like the manual says.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The rear end kicking out in the snow under accelleration and turning is most likely the AWD sending power to the rear and the rears not getting enough traction with the sudden power and spinning. My AWD Murano does the same thing with All seasons in the snow. Best bet is to get real snow tires if you want to play with power in the snow and get off the throttle when you feel the rear end kicking around.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
On a seperate note, my Speed6 is currently wearing a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires, and the last couple days it's been snowing here, we've probably got somewhere between 8-10 inches of snow, let me tell you that with a set of snow tires this thing is a tank! On unplowed roads, it's like nothing bothers it, the only time it got a little squirly was during full throttle acceleration in 1st gear (I just had to try, lol). On average I was going about 20mph faster than everyone else on the road/freeway (going about 5mph over the speed limits) and the car was totally composed. I'll be picking up an extra set of wheels in the spring (probably from a stock RX-8) to put the stock tires on, but I must say, if you can afford a dediced set of snow tires, they would be highly recommended, and worth every penny!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
On a seperate note, my Speed6 is currently wearing a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires, and the last couple days it's been snowing here, we've probably got somewhere between 8-10 inches of snow, let me tell you that with a set of snow tires this thing is a tank! On unplowed roads, it's like nothing bothers it, the only time it got a little squirly was during full throttle acceleration in 1st gear (I just had to try, lol). On average I was going about 20mph faster than everyone else on the road/freeway (going about 5mph over the speed limits) and the car was totally composed. I'll be picking up an extra set of wheels in the spring (probably from a stock RX-8) to put the stock tires on, but I must say, if you can afford a dediced set of snow tires, they would be highly recommended, and worth every penny! [/b]
I am so glad to hear this...I was hoping I hadn't wasted my $1000 on wheels and tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How many replies and no one has mentioned LSD? (Limited Slip Differential, not what you are on).

The rear on the Speed6 has LSD. Both rear wheels spin when traction is poor. Spinning both rear wheels on a flat surface will cause the rear end to kick to the right. Drive an old muscle car in the snow and you'll learn this instantly. Review the 'right hand rule' of rotation in your physics book for why the rear end slides to the right. Road crowns amplify the effect (if you drive on the right side of the road, remember not all countries do), but the crown is not why the rear end slides to the right. Physics, man!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How many replies and no one has mentioned LSD? (Limited Slip Differential, not what you are on).

The rear on the Speed6 has LSD. Both rear wheels spin when traction is poor. Spinning both rear wheels on a flat surface will cause the rear end to kick to the right. Drive an old muscle car in the snow and you'll learn this instantly. Review the 'right hand rule' of rotation in your physics book for why the rear end slides to the right. Road crowns amplify the effect (if you drive on the right side of the road, remember not all countries do), but the crown is not why the rear end slides to the right. Physics, man!!
[/b]
Centripetal force and angular velocity?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
On a seperate note, my Speed6 is currently wearing a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires, and the last couple days it's been snowing here, we've probably got somewhere between 8-10 inches of snow, let me tell you that with a set of snow tires this thing is a tank! On unplowed roads, it's like nothing bothers it, the only time it got a little squirly was during full throttle acceleration in 1st gear (I just had to try, lol). On average I was going about 20mph faster than everyone else on the road/freeway (going about 5mph over the speed limits) and the car was totally composed. I'll be picking up an extra set of wheels in the spring (probably from a stock RX-8) to put the stock tires on, but I must say, if you can afford a dediced set of snow tires, they would be highly recommended, and worth every penny!
[/b]
I agree the MS6 is awesome in the snow with a set of proper winter tires. Just be careful you don't forget about stopping.

Many 4WD owners seem to think that just because their vehicle will GO better than the 2WD vehicles, that they can somehow STOP better too. They forget that all cars have 4-wheel-stop! :hoho:

Of course, good winter tires do help stop better in snow than regular tires, but only to a point.

·
Registered
663 Posts
[/b]

It's official, I am too smart to be a part of this forum!!!!

Signing off for good!!!

Peace!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts