·
Registered
2,676 Posts
A good post to start on.

Well done!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm curious why you didn't list more Mazdaspeed parts though.

Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Sway Bar, and Short Throw Shifter were all things I was thinking of getting, but none of them are in your lists of viable parts.

Any particular reason?

Also, the write up I read for the mazdaspeed Sway Bar kit actually made a point that the first suspension mod you should do is springs, and then go to sway bar from there if you still need more help. Are they mistaken, or is that only vs buying the kit that includes both front and rear?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a question, i have an 04 i that i just got, i was wondering, what is the best intake for this car? and im on a budget, so im not sure if i want the 500 dollar one. My max is about 300. Thanks for the help[/b]

Just keep looking on the buy/sell. PPL are selling intakes just about every week on here. I got the Injen intake with CPE Fix for like 280 not too long ago. If your gonna shell out 300 bucks do not get an AEM or anything else, unless you get the CPE Fix as well to make it worth the cash.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just keep looking on the buy/sell. PPL are selling intakes just about every week on here. I got the Injen intake with CPE Fix for like 280 not too long ago. If your gonna shell out 300 bucks do not get an AEM or anything else, unless you get the CPE Fix as well to make it worth the cash.[/b]
+1 I don't reccommend AEM, our Mazda sponsors offer the MS CAI for cheaper sometimes and you won't get any kind of CEL, if you do, it is covered under warranty. Only good intakes for the car are the MS, Injen with fix, and CP-E Mafci. AEM and K&N aren't worth the money in comparison to the others.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Freaking fantastic idea of a thread. For those like me who are uninformed and completely new to the scene, this is a great backbone to refer to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i agree ... i know i want to do mods, had no idea where to start, but this is a GREAT list and guide!! THANX!

M

·
0 Posts
I can see where freeing up the breathing (intake plus exhaust) will give great power gains, but does anyone on this thread know just how much power is reasonalby added with the mods already listed at the top of the thread? I am disappointed that there seems to be no supercharger or turbo kit out there for this 3.0L V6. I would like to take my 220hp up to Mazdaspeed6 territory...like somewhere north of 280. Realistically, what I really need to do is increase the torque to get the type of zoom-zoom I'm looking for, 192 just will not do!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Something like 24hp at most with the cp-e intake. 20hp with their headers. Nothing with exhaust.
IIRC, that 220 was overrated also

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Lol, I dunno, guessing whp... It said 16hp gains on average though
Diamond![/b]
ya, well cut that in half then u will have a realistic figure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quick question - is there a difference between a sway bar and a strut tower bar, and if so what is it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ya, well cut that in half then u will have a realistic figure.[/b]
The figure posted by CP-E is suppose to be WHP, not BHP or Crank HP.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Quick question - is there a difference between a sway bar and a strut tower bar, and if so what is it? Thanks[/b]
There is a difference. Think of a sway bar as a spring, like the springs on a car or lowering springs. The difference is that this one is horizontal that connect from wheel section to the other, so there are two sway bars on the car (front and back). As you corner the car is going to want to roll (lean away from the turn) due to force. The swaybars job is to minimize the roll the car does by resisting/exerting a counter force (like a spring does when you compress it, it tries to push back). By doing this the car stays flatter and cornering is a little tighter due to less roll, weight distrubition trying to pull the car out of the cornering.

A strut bar sits in the engine bay (and sometimes a rear one too, allowing one to be in the trunk) and adds a brace between the two struts by connecting to the top of the struts. What it's purpose is for is to reduce flexing of the car body when turning, and maybe on rough roads too. The advantage to this is less body flex means a more stable composure of the car thus better cornering, enhanced traction while cornering, and a crisper response in your steering. You may not notice it but the car's body does flex ever so little when cornering hard, this is normal. The strut bar tries to reduce this by acting as a brace. On our car this isn't so much of an issue due to wheel placement and initial car design. Since the wheels sit so close to the firewall, the firewall acts like a strut bar and minimizes flex. You can add one if you wish, but the gains on ours would be minimal. They are more beneficial on older cars and cars where the wheels/strut placement is further away from the firewall, allowing more distance from this built in brace and contributes to more body flex.

I hope this helps you out in understanding the two. Anyone, feel free to comment or correct me if I am wrong or you just want to add to it. Thanks!
:seeya:
Paul

B

·
0 Posts
whatsup everyone, this is my first post on the forum...Will, aka LUV5M6, introduced me to the forum and so far i'm enjoyin' it...I got a 2004 grey mazda 6 and am about to have it payed off in less than a month! as soon as that's taken cared of, mods here I come...but in the mean time does anyone have advice to remove the pinstripe stickers off the sides of my doors??? are the door guards easily removable as well? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious why you didn't list more Mazdaspeed parts though.

Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Sway Bar, and Short Throw Shifter were all things I was thinking of getting, but none of them are in your lists of viable parts.

Any particular reason?
Also, the write up I read for the mazdaspeed Sway Bar kit actually made a point that the first suspension mod you should do is springs, and then go to sway bar from there if you still need more help. Are they mistaken, or is that only vs buying the kit that includes both front and rear?[/b]
Very great~!
Keep up the great work~!

21 - 40 of 299 Posts
About this Discussion
298 Replies
226 Participants
lancelankou
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing