Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One quick question for those who have done it:
Do I have to disconnect my battery or anything before proceeding?

Also, any tips you could give me before I begin?

Thank you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Always disconnect the battery to be safe. You don't want to short anything out. Make sure you put the bulb in the right way (if not just flip the sucker). Other than that pretty straight forward

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads-up. I did the two doors first because that's the easiest. Didn't have a T20 screwdriver so I had to go and buy one but now it's night time so I'm waiting until tomorrow to do it for the map lights.

Garrett, what do you mean by "Make sure you put the bulb in the right way (if not just flip the sucker)"?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
the bulbs are pole sensitive, that's what he means.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey man did this myself last week, easiest thing ever and a great looking mod if u can call it that. I did it all without disconnecting the battery, second I bought a 2 dollar T20 screwdriver at walgreens it had multiple different bits for phillips, flathead, t15 etc. In order not to jack up your top carpet use a very small flathead screwdriver I used a tiny one no longer then 3 inches long from the handle, worked out very well. 6crew.com I believe is the site I saw the do it yourself from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right; it is one great looking mod.

Just finished it not too long ago. Took me about 20 minutes as I was trying to be careful and the it was hard to find the clip in the backseat lights. I got a Husky screwdriver set from Home Depot for 5 bucks that come with like 20 screwdriver heads. As for prying the thing open, I didn't use a flathead screwdriver but instead I used a very thin knife. I wrapped the blade with tape.

Right now it's raining so I can kind of see the effects but I can't wait until it gets darker. I'll take and post some pictures later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah man I found it easier to take off and hit it from the passenger side, it was just so simple for me to do it that way. Ordering my rear sets now, my door and license places.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have thought about doing this for a while, What lights is everyone using. I know all the interior and licence plates are all 194's I will be getting them in super white. Just curious to see which option people are choosing. I have some JDM 194s in place of my driving lights and I like those.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i used auto-illumination leds being that they were substantially cheaper. 4led leds in the map light 6led leds in the doors and 4led leds in the license plate

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just bought 10 super white 4 LED's on ebay for 5.99 shipped. Of course I got like .48 back from bing but I will check these out when I get them. A LOT better then then 33$ or whatever it is from some of the other sites. As long as they work. Im happy and lets be honest if they don't I am out 5.50 who cares. Ill update everyone when I get them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I got my 5.99 shipped LEDs and installed them. They look great. I got them on ebay search "10 super white 194 led"

·
Registered
27 Posts
ryanrc03 can you send me the link of that seller? That looks great, beats me having to pay 5 dollar shipping and 5 dollars a pop. Thanks!

Oops found him :p. Same company and all, wow what a great deal 5.99 shipped no tax love it! When you take off the license plate light and the door lights, do you just be very careful cuz you cant touch the base you take them straight head on. So any tips or tricks or just get a good grasp and pull tightly?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad you found him. I am pleased with mine still. They seem to have gotten a little brighter after I used them a week or so.

And yes for removing the old lights just grip as lose as you can while still holding them. The old halogens are sturdy so I don't have any problems getting them out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Should I disconnect the battery before taking out the door lights? As they stay on while the door is open, unless there is a way to disable that. I've heard after disconnecting the battery from the terminal you need to reprogram the windows to roll down? you have any issues?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts