Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suppose to be getting my car back tomorrow form the body shop, I have no reason to suspect these guys are in any way shady, one there a major car dealer in Houston, and they were also recommended by several people.

Thats said, I've never had body work done to a car of mine, I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb, but are there any little things you guys didn't notice or look for that I should be aware of? I'm planning to drive it out of town this weekend which will allow me a sort of shake down cruise, to check all the driving dynamics.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Reading Topic: Getting My Car Back From Body Shop Tomorrow

i will be getting mine back on tuesday 5/27/03. be sure they used a high quality paint. one that wont peel or fade. It may be hard to tell. If you can peel off any paint from an edge of the car with your nail, this may be a concern. Look for shotty work. Make sure everything feels firm and attatched. Try to pull it back a little bit with your hands. It should not move!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Tape edges.

If they blended in an area, they will mask off the area to be painted. Sometimes this leaves a ridge where the tape was. (door jams). I had one car where you could almost cut your finger on the edge.

Check for overspray on wheels and tail pipes (it was the rear, right)

Orange peel in Paint.

And just to be sure, check to see that they did what is on the invoice. I had one car repaired at a dealer. Insurance called for replacing the quarter panel. When I when to pick the car up, they had Bondo'd the panel.

I went into complain to the Manager and he said, "I've told them (body shop) before, that if the estmate calls for replacement parts they have to put on replacement parts".

Wonder how many people they ripped off over the years?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, especially look at the edges, and as said make sure you can't peel off clear paint at the edges, or where the body meets the fender etc.

I had real sloppy work done to my 626 a couple of years ago, so I made sure the paint shop knew I was one hell of a tricky customer with very high demands BEFORE they did any job on it.

Mine looks great. Hope yours will too. Otherwise - don't accept it. Don't even pick it up. Tell them to call you when they've done it properly!

·
Registered
652 Posts

Wear Polarized sun glasses. It helps detect odd things in the paint.

I have only silver metallic cars. I had a door repainted on the Durango, and because I wore polarized sun glasses, I was able to spot an odd hue difference in the paint and had them repaint it. To the naked eye, it was barely noticeable, but it stuck out like a sore thumb through the lenses. Turns out, they used the wrong metallic base coat.

Also, very gently feel the surface. If it's rough at all, they need to buff it. Definately check for overspray. The Durango had clearcoat overspray inside the car on the guage cluster!

And all the things mentioned above. You should not see any variance in your reflection on a single panel either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts