Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,

Well I just got out of my first year of freshman year of college with some money saved up and a full time summer job lined up to start next week so I'm going to make a purchase towards the 6 (4cyl)

These are my plans:

1. Order 2 Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers from jegs.com ($45 x 2 = $90)
-DocHolliday used this on his custom exhaust setup, and I loved the sound. It would be quieter because I'm running the Y-Pipe and dual mufflers right?

2. Order 2 Exhaust tips ($30 x 2 = $60)
Probably magnaflows, I can't find any that are cheaper and look decent...help!

3. Swap in the Dynomax's in for my stock mufflers, weld them in, weld on tips
-Fairfax meineke said they could do it for about $100 for both mufflers + weld in tips which might be a few bucks extra

Additional Questions:
4. I was looking through the forums, and it seems as though twowheelin and DocHolliday have replaced their midpipes? The general consensus is that the midpipe contains the most restrictions. Should I just ask Meineke to cut out the midpipe and replace it with 2.25'' piping? Can anyone provide pictures of this, or a diagram of the exhaust?

5. If this custom exhaust will be significantly quieter than Doc's that I heard through his clip, I may want to remove my stock resonator as well and get 2.25'' piping placed there also. What do you guys think?

6. Just to make sure, this is the correct muffler, right?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

Thanks a lot guys, any help is much appreciated. I just don't want to make a mistake and get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please do not post the same thing in 2 different places
[/b]
If you checked my previous post, I deleted the post and wrote "Moved to proper forum" in the content box, and changed the title by adding Moved: in front of the title.

I just wanted to move it to the proper forum, and I don't have admin privileges.

I thought that sufficed... :tear:

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Summit Racing link didn't work, but it's hard to get the wrong thing when you ask for "Dynomax Super Turbo" ;)

I really don't know how volume would differ using a dual exit setup as compared to a single exit. From what I've heard, my setup is quiter than the Magnaflow! However, I also use a resonated tip (not sure it that actually helps, but at least it looks nice). Personally, I'd keep the resonator in place, since it's going to help reduce raspiness and drone.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you can check out the piping under your car you'll see a couple of 'choke points' in the standard exhuast flow that look sort of like this section:

There is a reduction between the cat and resonator that can be cut out and a straight 2 1/4 pipe installed like below:

The output of the resonator tapers down to under 2" at the flange so I removed it and welded in 2 1/4 mid-pipe to the back y-split:

There is a reduction leading into the rear y-split that can be cut out and re-piped with the new mid pipe for a smoother flow.

This is choke point where the cat bolts up to the header:

I used a torch and exhaust pipe expander tool to stretch out the inner section of piping. The O2 sensor protrudes into the pipe about an inch but can be spaced out from the exhuast flow with a large washer.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wonder how much it would cost for the shop to do all that. i'm not sure if the gains will be worth the $$$...but thanks anyway, i'll keep it in mind and show it to them regardless.

thanks for all the input doc and twowheelin.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i wonder how much it would cost for the shop to do all that. i'm not sure if the gains will be worth the $$$...but thanks anyway, i'll keep it in mind and show it to them regardless.

thanks for all the input doc and twowheelin.
[/b]
what are you looking for gains?

usually shops charge by the hour and it doesnt look like it would be more than an extra hour to do all that work so figure 4-80 dollars more for whatever you will gain on the top end for doing the extra work

·
Registered
603 Posts
lapis, if you get the dual mufflers ( same as Doc's ) youll prolly be a little noiser, rember Doc has one exhaust your doing two.

what i did and i think what Doc also did, is 2.25 from the header back. i have a high flow resnator to muffle the sound a bit.

that setup i think would give you some good gains.

good luck with the project and post picz for us!

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lapis, if you get the dual mufflers ( same as Doc's ) youll prolly be a little noiser, rember Doc has one exhaust your doing two.
what i did and i think what Doc also did, is 2.25 from the header back. i have a high flow resnator to muffle the sound a bit.
that setup i think would give you some good gains.
good luck with the project and post picz for us!
-n1ghtmare
[/b]
does anyone have a picture of what the stock system looks like from the header-back just so i can get a overall view?

I may end up asking them to replace the piece inbetween the cat and the resonator, and then redo the 2.25'' piping from the catback to the Y split, keep the Y split, and then swap out the mufflers and weld on the tips.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One muffler is lighter than two ;)
[/b]
oh, for sure. half the price too!

however, I do like the aesthetic value of having both exhaust tips. If there was a plug in to fill it in, I would definitely go for the single.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was torn between aesthetics and the fact that the 5-door is a little heavy in the rear. Weight savings and a (possibly?) smoother exhaust route won.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Almost forgot about these diagrams....
[attachmentid=12755] . [attachmentid=12753]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you guys so much. I should be getting this done within a few weeks. i just have to find time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
LapisM6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing