Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I don't post or even lurk here much anymore...but I thought this info could be useful to some speed6/3 owners in Canada.

Sooooo, my completely stock car started burning oil big time around 145k km. By the time I brought it in to have checked out, the "oil consumption test", as Mazda calls it, revealed that 1,5L of oil disappeared from the engine every 1000km. Given that there is I believe 6L that goes in the block, that's 25% gone over a few days (I drive a lot).

I did have an extended warranty up 160k km, so the dealer asked for all my maintenance receipts (which I had) and Mazda Corporate responded by sending a brand new short block! I was and actually still am sceptical that this should solve the problem...I tried to tell them about the turbo seals but they just kept saying that Corp. gets the final decision.

I'd like to point out that I never ever ever saw smoke out the exhaust. My exhaust tips aren't that blacked out. They've been always the same since I got the car in oct 06 with 8km on it. WTH???

They've had it in for over a week now (driving a shiiiitty Camry meanwhile). I called yesterday to get an update and all I got was a "We're still working on it". I really don't trust these guys sometimes, and I'm afraid they'll fuck up my car even more...
. I've had a CEL come on at around 150k km : bad EGR valve. So that kind of confirms that my exhaust line could be all clogged up?

Anyways just thought I'd let you guys known that Mazda is replacing my engine over an oil consumption problem.

Any comments/questions are welcome

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Cool. Glad you got a new block!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I dont know how long this has been Going on, but I'll bet your cat(s) are fouled. And you oxygen sensors too. Wonder if those get replaced?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know how long this has been Going on, but I'll bet your cat(s) are fouled. And you oxygen sensors too. Wonder if those get replaced?
That's a good point... I'll definitely ask them to check the cats
Thanks

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Wouldn't he have thrown CELs for emissions or something if the cat in his DP was fouled?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
wow. thats really sweet luck! man, even if it still smoked, at that point, id be happy to spend the money to replace the turbo out of my pocket after gettijng a brand new motor. lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: It seems I'll be getting a new engine head as well after all!
(This is going better than expected)
They've had the car for 3 weeks now! I'm thinking some parts aren't readily available on the continent most likely.

I think I will finally enter the serious modding scene once I get the car back. This could be a perfect opportunity!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Sweet
new top end FTW!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Cool, congrats again!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys
Got the car back yesterday...it runs very very smoothly!
I was a bit too conscious going back home last night, so I didn't push the car at all. I did noticed it badly needs an alignment thought, but aside from that it seems everything is perfect!
The total cost to MAZDA CANADA was 8 867$ as per the dealer guy. Add another 632$ for my rental....
DAMN! I can gladly say my 2000$ extended warranty was the best thing to get with this car! It had already been plenty profitable in the past with a new oil pan, all 4 bearings (the ones in the front twice each), new transfert case, new BPV, new rear brakes, rear transfer case seals (twice)....
I still had to pay up 1000$ for the EGR and PCV valve, sparkplugs and a whole list of various liquids, filters, nuts and bolts that weren't covered.
And althought the short block is brand new, they decided to only "refurbish" the head. I'm not going to complain.

I'll go thru winter as is and will most likely put in a new turbo/intercooler/exhaust and maybe ECU upgrade when spring comes.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
wow.
color me muchly impressed!
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
perhaps impossible.. but id have tried to see if you can keep the old motor..
for obvious reasons..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts