Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so happy that I found this place. I have been having a very hard time trying to choose between the Altima and the Mazda6 and the millions (or 10+) other sporty sedans out there. After visiting this site and seeing all the great reviews, I definitely know what kind of car I want. I have some questions about the car before I make my purchase in a few months (gotta make that money ;)) that I am hoping people can answer.

First, does anyone know what kind of modifications can be done to a car that is on lease? Like can it be tinted/debadged and then rebadged after the lease is up?

Is there an option to buy the car after the lease?

After seeing the rear of a Mazda6 from one of the forum members here, I knew debadging only made the style factor increase by 10, which is why I am pretty curious about those types of modifications. Tinting and debadging are about as far as I'd go with it.

I am a little confused about the actual acceleration of the Mazda6 at green lights. I have read some reviews online that suggest that even the 220 hp V6 has an average acceleration. My new job (coming in a few months with the Mazda6 :D) will require a lot of travel which is why I am going to get an automatic. The problem I am seeing is that people say the 4-cylinder is kinda weak with an automatic. Does anyone have a the i or s in automatic that can maybe detail me on how good the pick up in the car really is?

Finally, I think I am pretty much decided on the steel gray color for the car but I have yet to see the Mazda6 in person nor have I been able to test drive it. Obviously, pictures do not always show how good each color looks on the car. So, I was wondering, what color do you all think suits the car best? I want to try to narrow down the choices so that I can make a decision sometime this year.... :D

By the way, I am still very new to this whole "new car" buying experience so please forgive my ignorance when it comes to dealerships and new car options. Thanks for all the help and future responses!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Reading Topic: General Newb Questions

If PERFORMANCE is really important to you, there are better cars out there to get than the 6i/s automatic. The Accord V6 and Altima V6 both offer much better performance.

The latest Road & Track has a comparison tests of the 6s automatic vs the Accord V6, Altima V6, Camry V6, and Passat V6, all automatics. The 6s was mid-pack. Behind the Altima and Accord, but in front of the Camry and Passat.

The times were reeeeeeeeaaallllllyyyy slow, though. 16.3 @ 87.1 for the 6s. In all cases in this comparison, the cars are really capable of 1/4 mile times MUCH faster than those, by at least a half second, which is pretty significant.

I have a CarTest2000 model of the 6s automatic, and it's estimating about 15.5 @ 90, which is pretty decent. The Accord V6 is good for about 15.0 @ 94, and the Altima will do 14.7 @ 94.

JUST GET THE MANUAL :D

Faster, much more responsive, and MUCH more fun to drive, too :D

As for the 4-cyl, reviews have not been very favorable (US 2.3L). They're saying that there isn't nearly enough power below 3000rpm, which is very bad if you have an automatic.

There's no replacement for test driving, though. Everybody has different standards, and different requirements for what is "good enough". So go out and test drive the different models and step on it. Then go drive the competitors (Altima, Accord, etc) and pick which one is best for you ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I know. I've got to get the time to test drive the cars. As I said before, I am going to be traveling A LOT, in fact, I'll be traveling 70% of the time in the car when working. My main reason for wanting the Mazda6 was because it seemed to me that it was the only one to combine the best blend of interior/exterior styling with a good engine and handling. Being in NY, the winter has not been kind this year so I need something that will be able to keep control over the roads. My current vehicle is a 2.8L V6 and I like the acceleration but it is far too old and lacks ABS, traction control, air bags of any sort etc... So, as you can see, an automatic is really the only choice due to work situations and something with good handling is necessary due to the climate I live in.

·
Registered
432 Posts

The four banger auto isnt THAT bad. Believe me, I wouldnt have bought it if it was. Its by no means a rocket (my videotaped 0-60 run puts it about 9.2 seconds from a standstill, with no launch) but its decent.

It seems to favor a gradual throttle application over a stomp-and-stand. I usually give it half-throttle until about 3500 rpm, then gradually floor it, shifting to 2nd ~500 rpm before redline.

Like I said, its not the fastest sedan out there, but its adequate unless youre used to V6 power.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, I've kinda grown used to it. I wanted to get the V6 version because I figured it'd be better overall but I don't want to spend the extra money on the V6 if the automatic version of the V6 has little to no differences between itself and the 4 cylinder auto. I'm sure that last statement sounded a bit crazy and I may have exaggerated a bit but you get what I mean. I just want to make sure the V6 auto is powerful.

·
Registered
432 Posts

My biggest gripe with the V6 auto is that it shifts so fast off the line, which I suppose must be normal for 5 speed automatics since the IS300s Ive driven shift super-fast too.

To me, that seems to take away from its acceleration. Its a completely different story once youre already moving though ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts

The 6s/auto has VERY short gearing, which is good considering that the car is rather heavy and it doesn't have a whole lotta torque to get it moving.

Gecko - just go test drive. The only way you'll find out if it's fast enough for you is a test drive and your "butt dyno" response :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Do you think they would let me test drive it even though I'm not buying it? I've heard some dealer horror stories too. :p

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Yeah.. They should let you test drive the car either way. As long as you're atleast over 18-19 years old they should let you test drive one if you ask. So, just ask.. If one says no, walk out and go to another dealership.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Replying to Topic 'General Newb Questions'

Originally posted by SteVTEC

If PERFORMANCE is really important to you, there are better cars out there to get than the 6i/s automatic.  The Accord V6 and Altima V6 both offer much better performance.

The latest Road & Track has a comparison tests of the 6s automatic vs the Accord V6, Altima V6, Camry V6, and Passat V6, all automatics.  The 6s was mid-pack.  Behind the Altima and Accord, but in front of the Camry and Passat.

The times were reeeeeeeeaaallllllyyyy slow, though.  16.3 @ 87.1 for the 6s.  In all cases in this comparison, the cars are really capable of 1/4 mile times MUCH faster than those, by at least a half second, which is pretty significant.

I have a CarTest2000 model of the 6s automatic, and it's estimating about 15.5 @ 90, which is pretty decent.  The Accord V6 is good for about 15.0 @ 94, and the Altima will do 14.7 @ 94.

JUST GET THE MANUAL :D

Faster, much more responsive, and MUCH more fun to drive, too :D

As for the 4-cyl, reviews have not been very favorable (US 2.3L).  They're saying that there isn't nearly enough power below 3000rpm, which is very bad if you have an automatic.

There's no replacement for test driving, though.  Everybody has different standards, and different requirements for what is "good enough".  So go out and test drive the different models and step on it.  Then go drive the competitors (Altima, Accord, etc) and pick which one is best for you ;)[/b]

Still road& track set accord to first, mazda6 to second, and altima to 3rd place!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Replying to Topic 'General Newb Questions'

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

Do you think they would let me test drive it even though I'm not buying it? I've heard some dealer horror stories too. :p[/b]

Me and my friend test drove mazda6 S auto. After him test driving it, he had to buy it cause it was best car he test drove from dealers. lol. So be careful, if you test drive it, you may not be able to say no cause it's very good car in everything.

·
Registered
432 Posts

You shouldnt have any trouble getting a test drive. Mazda dealers love to show off this car. I would be surprised if youre there for longer than 2 minutes before they say, "you wanna go for a spin?" :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ah, I am 18 though! :p I hope they don't discriminate based on my age alone. By the way, I drove by a local Mazda dealer tonight at like 1:30 AM to see if they had any Mazda6's in front and on display. To my surprise, they had at least ten of them lined up in front, including one in Steel Gray!!! I almost wanted to pull into the dealership so I could smush my face up against the glass and peek in. This is Part I of the addiction.... :D If possible, I'm going to try to take off work tomorrow and go talk to one of them about the car. Its like a dream come true. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts